1.    #1  
    when i recieve a notification from gmail , sometimes the mail icon is the Gmail symbol (envelope with red G ) .. and sometime it is just a white envelope looking just like my regular outlook mail account.

just curious , if anyone knows why sometimes the red icon pops up and sometime the normal.
    My guess is Gmail is your primary account the others arent.
    I never get a red G envelope on my Pre, and I have two Gmail accounts on it.
    my Gmail is primary and is a red bordered enveloped, but there is no G in it either now that I really looked..

My other accounts are plain envelopes.
  5.    #5  
    sorry if i was not clear.

these are concerning email sent to the same account. sometimes to this same account i get the regular mail envelope and sometimes a red gmail envelope.

any ideas why different icons for emails sent to the same account?
    ^On my phone at least (I have 3 Gmail accounts), if there is unread mail in only one account, then I get the typical Gmail red envelope in the notification area. If there is unread mail in more than one account, then it shows the plain white envelope.

And if I see the red envelope, then clicking on that envelope (NOT on the message header text) takes me straight to that Inbox. If I see the white envelope (which indicates messages waiting in more than account) then tapping the envelope image takes me to the main mail screen where I can select which inbox I want to go into.