Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Why do so many people on this forum refer to cloud synchronization as "backup?" Even Palm has this thing called Backup that really just synchronizes your phone with the cloud. Is this really backup?

Maybe I am I missing something here, but when you synchronize your data you are essentially mirroring your data between the phone and the cloud. If you accidentally delete a bunch of contacts on your phone won't they also be deleted on Palm or Google or wherever you have set your main profile? Is there anyway to recover from such an error?

Contacts are the most important data I have on my phone and I make sure that I synchronize that back to my desktop via Google and I regularly make a backup archive that I store on different cloud storage.

Am I being over paranoid or are others more reckless -- or am I missing a hidden feature that turns synchronization into backup?
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Why do so many people on this forum refer to cloud synchronization as "backup?" Even Palm has this thing called Backup that really just synchronizes your phone with the cloud. Is this really backup?

Maybe I am I missing something here, but when you synchronize your data you are essentially mirroring your data between the phone and the cloud. If you accidentally delete a bunch of contacts on your phone won't they also be deleted on Palm or Google or wherever you have set your main profile? Is there anyway to recover from such an error?

Contacts are the most important data I have on my phone and I make sure that I synchronize that back to my desktop via Google and I regularly make a backup archive that I store on different cloud storage.

Am I being over paranoid or are others more reckless -- or am I missing a hidden feature that turns synchronization into backup?
    I agree with you, and that is another reason why I use PocketMirror to sync with Outlook. That gets backed up on my PC and on our server...
    the data backed up to the cloud is stored on palm's servers so i would say you can call it backed up
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    the data backed up to the cloud is stored on palm's servers so i would say you can call it backed up
    How long do they retain the "backups." If I accidentally delete half of my contacts tonight and notice the problem tomorrow after I "backup" to Palm will I be able to restore my old contacts? What about Google contacts?
    Great question, we really need an official desktop sync