1.    #1  
    I'm getting very close to making the jump from my trusty Treo 755P, which is currently the oldest consumer electronics device I've ever owned.

I was playing with a Pre at the Sprint store earlier, and I loaded in my Google Contacts and Calendar accounts to get a better feel for it. Many of the contacts linked together incorrectly; IE, people without the same name, phone numbers, no association whatsoever, were linked together in contacts on the Pre. They are not linked at all on Google (data imported with Companionlink from Palm Desktop).

I did a search here and saw someone else make reference to what sounded like the same issue, but I did not see a fix. I have thousands of contacts, so going through and manually unlinking randomly linked accounts doesn't sound like fun to me.

Any ideas or solutions here? Thanks.

ME
    i use my gmail account for work and have more contacts then any one needs (because some were just one or two time emails then no contact from there) i had no issue with merging contacts like you are describing. the only problem i had was it did pull EVERY contact even if it only had an email. after a couple of months of deleting i finally got it down.

some minor advice from me is to go through your google contacts and delete the ones you dont want BEFORE setting up your new and beautiful pre
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
  3.    #3  
    Hmm.... Anyone else had this issue?
    Can't say I've heard this mentioned before. It is a feature of Synergy to try and automatically link "like" contacts, and I wouldn't be surprised if it occasionally makes a "mistake" (which you can easily fix by hand). But haven't heard of it making seemingly random mistakes.
    Also, make sure the contacts you want synced are placed in My Contacts in gmail, as these are the only contacts that will/should sync as of a couple of months ago. I, too, have never seen a large group of random links like that...sorry.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    didn't have that many link mistakes too... Try resetting your device, or remove the conntacts and then reset the device...
    I had a similar issue with my initial sync. It was very time consuming to manualy go in and adjust but after a few weeks I got there. No problems since.... Good luck!!!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I have 300+ contacts in my google account. I just noticed that in at least one case, 8 contacts have been merged. When I get a phone call from one, it looks like someone else is calling! Worse, if I search for a name, I "find" the name that it is grouped under. All the numbers that are erroneously combined are listed but there is no indication of which belongs to the person I searched for.

These are all individuals. There are no company names entered. I cannot see anything in common; all different names, phone numbers and emails. How do I tell my pre to keep these separate? How do I find other contacts that are erroneously linked?
    Quote Originally Posted by arbywon View Post
    I have 300+ contacts in my google account. I just noticed that in at least one case, 8 contacts have been merged. When I get a phone call from one, it looks like someone else is calling! Worse, if I search for a name, I "find" the name that it is grouped under. All the numbers that are erroneously combined are listed but there is no indication of which belongs to the person I searched for.

These are all individuals. There are no company names entered. I cannot see anything in common; all different names, phone numbers and emails. How do I tell my pre to keep these separate? How do I find other contacts that are erroneously linked?
    Maybe Google knows more about your friends than you do.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Yes, there is that cloud thing to worry about !

I did figure out how to unlink the links. I still wonder how many more combinations exist but if I never trip over them, they probably won't bother me.

The annal part of me want's to know why though. I can see linking contacts with common names or common emails or phone numbers but that doesn't seem to be the case. In google, editing a contact entry displays all fields with entries. I thought some common fields might have blanks or something similar. There doesn't appear to be anything in common. I'll chalk it up to a mystery.
    Remove account from the device then re-add the account back. It could have just been an anomaly.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by arbywon View Post

Call up the contact in the Contacts app, tap the name at the top of the contact - this will open up a list of all the linked information. Tap each one individually, and select Unlink This Profile.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Thanks for the responses:

Remove account from the device then re-add the account back. It could have just been an anomaly.
    I tried this first but no joy.

Call up the contact in the Contacts app, tap the name at the top of the contact - this will open up a list of all the linked information. Tap each one individually, and select Unlink This Profile.
    Found this and unlinked the ones I know about. Any I don't know about won't hurt me.
    If you were playing with the store's phone, who knows what was in the Profile.
    Actually, I just had this happen. For no apparent reason, but my Pre scrambled all my contacts, linking them crazily.

Oddly enough, it pulled in my 2 gmail accounts, when I had never even put in the password for one of them, because I don't use it on my phone.

When I clicked on my dad's contact info, it showed my sons. When I clicked on a friend's, it showed by bosses info and etc.

I had to manually remove all accounts and then just add back SOLELY the gmail account that I wanted to use.

Another item of interest, none of these contacts are in the 2nd gmail account that it pulled in!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I had the same issue ( it was only two contacts ) with my yahoo sync. I tracked it down in the Yahoo SMS i texted two different people and both of them got grouped together because there numbers were stored .
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I have had exactly the same issue as ME. There were some hints in the replies above about why this happened, but I can't figure it out any better myself!

As someone else did, I spent some time "un-linking" a number of profiles in my contact list on the Pre+ and straightened it out.

I found dozens of them linked under one name, and in several cases! It appeared to be random, too, as I couldn't find any connection between the different people linked under one profile.

I'm sure I'll still find more of them.

And, yes, the way they show up when receiving a call from one of them is pretty weird, too!

Mike
    I have also had the same issue, I will explain my experience below:

I link Google contacts (primary), Facebook, and linked in. One day I noticed a contact I have in facebook was linked to a google contact. The facebook contact had email and the google contact had email, address, phone, etc.

I received a text from my google contact, and it appeared as it was from the facebook contact (picture and all). I then deleted(unlinked) my facebook account on my pre. This solved the issue, but is not acceptable.

Like an above poster said, when you search synergy, the name will appear as the primary name in the system - kinda a pain when you are trying to find one name, but another appears.

Later, I re-added my facebook account. Everything appeared normal and then a few days later I noticed the same contact had been linked together. But this time it appears as the Google contact (the first time it appeared as the facebook contact), BUT the picture (profile pic) is still originating from the facebook account.

Anyone have any updates to this problem with this bug? Palm? HP?

Thanks!
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by concept1 View Post
    I have also had the same issue, I will explain my experience below:

I link Google contacts (primary), Facebook, and linked in. One day I noticed a contact I have in facebook was linked to a google contact. The facebook contact had email and the google contact had email, address, phone, etc.

I received a text from my google contact, and it appeared as it was from the facebook contact (picture and all). I then deleted(unlinked) my facebook account on my pre. This solved the issue, but is not acceptable.

Like an above poster said, when you search synergy, the name will appear as the primary name in the system - kinda a pain when you are trying to find one name, but another appears.

Later, I re-added my facebook account. Everything appeared normal and then a few days later I noticed the same contact had been linked together. But this time it appears as the Google contact (the first time it appeared as the facebook contact), BUT the picture (profile pic) is still originating from the facebook account.

Anyone have any updates to this problem with this bug? Palm? HP?

Thanks!
    I think you should open up contacts, go into the contact it self, if you have 1 person that has Google, Facebook and Linkin Accounts. Click on the top portion of the contact and then click on the account you want to be the master contact, it will ask you to (Unlink this profile) (Set as Primary Profile) (Delete Profile) (Cancel) - you should choose Set as Primary and that picture will show up for this contact in search and in there profile picture.