Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    OK.....here is my tale of woe and what I am trying\wanting to do:

My law firm just got Pres (a couple from Verizon and one from Sprint) for the attorneys. We all cover for each other in different Courts so we figured it would be exceptionally good if we all had each others calendars on our devices, that way we could make sure not to "double book" an appearance for a coworker in two different places.

The catch is we just want each others calendars....not email, not tasks, and especially not each others contacts.

Is there a way to do this (absent setting up Google synch on each desktop....by no means an ideal solution).

Anyway, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jack
    aka Tyndall
    With exchange, you could add just the calendar for a second account. Open Calendar and then Preferences & Accounts.

You would need to have the other people's passwords, or have them enter their password on your device. If they change their password, you would have to update your phone.

Another way to do it is to create a "In court" account on your exchange server that every one knows the password to. Then you can update it with when you are in court or where you will be.

Another option is to create users called "Court Room A" and "Court Room B" etc. Sign your pre up with all of those different accounts in the Calendar app, and you can set your self in or out in any of those "rooms".
    Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to access someone else's Exchange calendar like you can in Outlook without adding their account, which is bad in general and also pulls in their e-mail and tasks.

A hack that you could use would be to treat the court appearances in each of your calendar's as meetings and invite all the attorney's. This would cause the entry to show up in all of your individual calendars. You would presumably want to name the calendar entry with your name "Jack: Foo v. Bar" so you know who's appointment it is.

Any other solution will presumably involve creating a separate, shared calendar.

If Google Calendar is an option (no google desktop sync necessary as it's built into the phone), you could create a GCal account for all of you and create different calendars for each of you so you would get a unique color coding (limited by the number of colors available), overlayed in the Pre calendar.
    Maybe my understanding of outlook is different but wouldn't adding your partners as attendees in outlook make the appointment viewable by all of the attendees. Of coarse you'd have make sure the description and or notes section makes it clear who is responsible for the appointment.
    I won't go into security in this reply as I'm sure you're aware that to add someone else's calendar you'd have to use their ID and password. Having said that, you should simply be able to go into the calendar app, go to preferences/accounts, and add a new Exchange account. Where it asks for ID/password you'd enter in the ID/password of your partner (each one gets a new account). That should bring across only your calendar. If for some reason you get e-mail and others then you should be able to delete that account just from the e-mail, contacts, app.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    With exchange, you could add just the calendar for a second account. Open Calendar and then Preferences & Accounts.

You would need to have the other people's passwords, or have them enter their password on your device. If they change their password, you would have to update your phone.

Another way to do it is to create a "In court" account on your exchange server that every one knows the password to. Then you can update it with when you are in court or where you will be.

Another option is to create users called "Court Room A" and "Court Room B" etc. Sign your pre up with all of those different accounts in the Calendar app, and you can set your self in or out in any of those "rooms".
    The above does not work. If I add the account under calendars, it appears under email as well. If I then delete the email account the calendar account disappears. Unless I am missing a step somewhere, but I have tried this a few times and get the same results.

I appreciate the suggestion, any other ideas?
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to access someone else's Exchange calendar like you can in Outlook without adding their account, which is bad in general and also pulls in their e-mail and tasks.

A hack that you could use would be to treat the court appearances in each of your calendar's as meetings and invite all the attorney's. This would cause the entry to show up in all of your individual calendars. You would presumably want to name the calendar entry with your name "Jack: Foo v. Bar" so you know who's appointment it is.

Any other solution will presumably involve creating a separate, shared calendar.

If Google Calendar is an option (no google desktop sync necessary as it's built into the phone), you could create a GCal account for all of you and create different calendars for each of you so you would get a unique color coding (limited by the number of colors available), overlayed in the Pre calendar.
    I do not want to approach it this way as I know i won't get everyone to remember to do it the way it would need to be done consistently...there are a lot of people making appoints for other people, which is fine since that's the way we work.

I am interested in hearing more about shared calendars...we all have our calendars shared in the office, but not sure how that helps on the Pre.

Google calendar would require that we each keep Google synch running on our desktops so that intermittent appointments made either on the desktop\office side or on the device get moved back and forth. The office is not going to use Google as the program to natively run our office calendars off of.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mperkinsky View Post
    Maybe my understanding of outlook is different but wouldn't adding your partners as attendees in outlook make the appointment viewable by all of the attendees. Of coarse you'd have make sure the description and or notes section makes it clear who is responsible for the appointment.
    That might work but we are dealing with a LOT of appointments for 4 busy attorneys plus a vary busy centralized Court calendar which directs all the attorneys as to what case is down and where and when. Not a workable work-around.

But thanks for the thought.....
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    I won't go into security in this reply as I'm sure you're aware that to add someone else's calendar you'd have to use their ID and password. Having said that, you should simply be able to go into the calendar app, go to preferences/accounts, and add a new Exchange account. Where it asks for ID/password you'd enter in the ID/password of your partner (each one gets a new account). That should bring across only your calendar. If for some reason you get e-mail and others then you should be able to delete that account just from the e-mail, contacts, app.
    Security amongst us is not a concern, we all know everyone else's passwords for work accounts. I've tried this but it does not just bring the calendar, it brings everything...including creating an email account and floods the device with everyone's contacts.

Any other ideas? Any thoughts are appreciated.

With all my searching over the past few days it is amazing how little info there is on this issue.
    It would be ideal if the pre worked more like outlook, in where it's easy to open another users calendar or even a public folder calendar. I've checked the mail/cal client on an iphone and an android device and neither can do what you are asking either. Not sure if there is similar function on a blackberry with a BES server. EAS is a sync solution, not a full fledge MAPI client. It's good, but it's not that good.

You can still create a "dummy" exchange account that doesn't have an external email address and has no contacts. Every one could add that exchange account to their phone and update appointments on it. Or go with the google cal sync solution you talked about before.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Any other ideas? I am still searching for a solution or workaround....