Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    please help...

    my pre won't sync with my work exchange server - apparently my work doesn't have the right security certificate since they only want to support blackberries...

    but it seems i can get my work email on my pre by telling the pre its a popmail account so that should be sufficient... right?

    the big problem is i need access to my contacts both on my pre and on my work outlook server - is there a way to sync those indirectly? i was thinking of putting my contacts into google from my treo somehow and seeing if there is an active sync with outlook... any suggestions?

    i don't use my outlook calendar so i just need to convert my existing treo calendar to a google calendar I guess... is this easy to do?

    forgive the questions - whats worse is that i need to figure this out within 24 hours to determine whether to keep the pre or return it within the free trial period... as i've posted before, i want to be a pre user just like i was a pilot visor and treo user... any help and advice would really be appreciated!
  2. Clcto's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #2  
    Email will probably work with the right mailbox settings.

    For one time data transfer, you can use Palm DTA (Data Transfer Assistant). However, this will not allow you later to back up any changes you make to the Pre or Pixi.

    You can Synchronize Outlook and Palm Desktop to Google. The product here is CompanionLink for Google. It handles Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes. Google lasks a Task API so Tasks are placed into the Google Calendar. CompanionLink is the only product which formats phone numbers correctly for the Pre, so be careful of any Google import tool that is not made for Pre.

    If you to Sync like a Treo, you can sync your desktop Outlook to Pre using CompanionLink USB. It will synchronize Contacts, Calendar Tasks and Notes via the USB Cable to the Pre. CompanionLink USB is the only solution currently available which uses the cable to synchronize to Pre and Pixi.

    The two CompanionLink products have a free 14 day trial, so you can download them and use them right away. I'd suggest you get started with one or the other depending on whether you can send your work data through Google, or whether you need the extra security of wired sync to your Pre.

    Here's an information page: Palm webOS sync

    Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
  3.    #3  
    this sounds like it might solve my problems - thanks... i need to check out google's calendars etc first i suppose since i don't know how different than they are from

    are you saying i'd have to buy two different products? again, my two issues are, getting my treo calendar into google and the pre, and getting my outlook contacts to sync (either constantly or occasionally) with google's....

    thanks...
  4. Clcto's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #4  
    Just two options Visor. You already mentioned Google, and that's a good method. CompanionLink also offers a direct sync. You only need one or the other.
  5. jccomo's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    Email will probably work with the right mailbox settings.

    For one time data transfer, you can use Palm DTA (Data Transfer Assistant). However, this will not allow you later to back up any changes you make to the Pre or Pixi.

    You can Synchronize Outlook and Palm Desktop to Google. The product here is CompanionLink for Google. It handles Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes. Google lasks a Task API so Tasks are placed into the Google Calendar. CompanionLink is the only product which formats phone numbers correctly for the Pre, so be careful of any Google import tool that is not made for Pre.

    If you to Sync like a Treo, you can sync your desktop Outlook to Pre using CompanionLink USB. It will synchronize Contacts, Calendar Tasks and Notes via the USB Cable to the Pre. CompanionLink USB is the only solution currently available which uses the cable to synchronize to Pre and Pixi.

    The two CompanionLink products have a free 14 day trial, so you can download them and use them right away. I'd suggest you get started with one or the other depending on whether you can send your work data through Google, or whether you need the extra security of wired sync to your Pre.

    Here's an information page: Palm webOS sync

    Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    Wayland,

    I tried using your Evaluation Software to transfer 13 years of data from my Palm Desktop to Google to the Pre. I used both the versions to move from Outlook as well as from my updated 6.2 Desktop. In both cases, all the data transferred correctly to Google but only the current 6 months transferred to the Pre.

    If I enter data in an old date in the Google calendar...it will Sync to the Pre. But for some reason the Pre doesn't read data before October 6, 2009 when I have data going back to 1997.

    It seems you have created a great tool and I'd love to be able to use it!

    Help?

    Thanks. JC
  6.    #6  
    jccomo's comment concerns me - i was just going to download this software this weekend - any idea whats going on?
  7. jccomo's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by visorhawk View Post
    jccomo's comment concerns me - i was just going to download this software this weekend - any idea whats going on?
    The good news is using CompanionLink ...all my 1450 contacts transferred successfully from the Palm desktop to Google to the Pre and the 7,800 calendar items transferred successfully to Google but not to the Pre. I tried this a second time (deleted the calendar account on the Pre and in Google) after I used WebOS Doctor to fix the Sprint TV and Navigation issues caused by the 1.4 update--just in case the 1.4 update might have impacted the transfer. But I got the same result...only 6 months of data transferred to the Pre. Neither Palm or CompanionLink reps has any idea where the limitation is coming from.

    Other than this.....I like CompanionLink and plan to purchase it as a way to back up my data even though I have switched to using Google's calendar and contact and not the Palm Desktop.

    If you find a solution to the limitation on the calendar data transferring to the Pre ...please let me know.

    JC
  8. #8  
    Visor regarding email, if you can't get EAS to work, I suggest you try IMAP before POP3. IMAP is actual synchronization rather than download like POP3, so it is a better solution when using both a handheld AND Outlook to manage your mail. If POP3 works, its most likely that IMAP will too.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
  9. Clcto's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jccomo View Post
    If I enter data in an old date in the Google calendar...it will Sync to the Pre. But for some reason the Pre doesn't read data before October 6, 2009 when I have data going back to 1997.
    Jccomo, I apologize for my delay in responding.

    We also have noted the Pre/Google Calendar sync doesn't seem to handle large amounts of past data well. In particular, people who load up with years of data. In cases we've investigated people have 3000-5000 entries spanning 5-12 years.

    In our testing we have not found a hard limit. Nor have we identified any particular type of data that is the culprit. The general rule appears to be that the data needs to be limited to about the last three years or so. As you note, single appointments work fine back 10 years or more. So it appears to be a "size of data" problem, and not specifically a "this date doesn't work" problem.

    CompanionLink has a setting that you can control the number of days back. I suggest moving it to "last 90 days" to insure that it all works fine. Use this for a day. Then when you have time, push back about six months, and run it for a day again. Keep pushing back six months at a time, and keep an eye out for failure. Failure can exhibit either by not synchronizing old data, as in your case, or not synchronizing new data, which other people have reported.

    I would not go back farther than 1000 days, which is about three years. I have a theory that it's related to the 2005 Energy Policy Act which took effect March 2007. You will recall in that year Daylight time (DST) in the US moved from the first Sunday of April, to the first Sunday in March, yielding a big pain for makers of calendar software, in return for zero energy savings. Some software programmed after 2007 may not be handling DST correctly for events prior to March 2007. I suspect the problem is related to repeating events that either Span 2007, or are prior to 2007, that span a period of Standard and Daylight time. Perhaps some error in conversion for these long past events is causing the internal ActiveSync Client to stall.

    I hope this information helps.

    Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
    Last edited by Clcto; 04/03/2010 at 12:15 PM.

Posting Permissions