1.    #1  
    I cannot get the contacts in my pre to sync TO my google account. It only syncs from google to pre.

How can I get a 2-way sync between my pre and my google account for my contacts?
    Because you're a new user here, I'm going to do a "basic sanity check" just to be sure we're on the same page. Make sure you understand the following:

• There can be several accounts on your Pre. For instance, you probably currently have at least two, your Google account, and your Palm Profile account.
    • Data is not synchronized between these accounts. This is a common misunderstanding. The Pre pulls data from multiple accounts, and displays them, but the data is seperate and distinct.
    • There is one "Default Account". This is the account that is used when you create a new contact on the Pre. By default, when you first get your Pre, the default account is Palm Profile. It's important to understand, these contacts do not go to your Google Account. This is a separate account. The data in your Palm Profile account does not go to your Google Account, and the data on your Google Account does not go to your Palm Profile account; however, both sets of data are displayed in the contacts app.
    • You can control which account is your default account.

I suspect that the default account is the root of your problem. You are likely adding new accounts to the Palm Profile instead of Google.

Try the following:
    1. Open the Contact App, downswipe the top left corner Contacts button, and select Preferences & Accounts
    2. Scroll down near to the bottom to the DEFAULT ACCOUNT section, and change that to your Google account.
    3. Now add another test contact, and see if that doesn't sync up properly to your Google contact list.

If this was the issue, your next question will likely be "How do I get all those contacts from the Palm Profile to my Google Account?" Let us know if the above worked for you, and we'll go from there.
    Last edited by hparsons; 03/01/2010 at 05:38 PM.
    Thanks for the info; just got my phone from Fedex, did the OS upgrade immediately and am going to try to set up Google Sync immediately when it's done.
    Watch out for entries with numbers or characters. It stumped me for a while. I couldn't get it to sync. Palm folks helped me figure it out. I had to contacts with names starting with numbers instead of letters. Eliminate leading digits or characters by renaming contacts with a alphabet letter or name.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

Try the following:
    1. Open the Contact App, downswipe the top left corner Contacts button, and select Preferences & Accounts
    2. Scroll down near to the bottom to the DEFAULT ACCOUNT section, and change that to your Google account.
    3. Now add another test contact, and see if that doesn't sync up properly to your Google contact list.

If this was the issue, your next question will likely be "How do I get all those contacts from the Palm Profile to my Google Account?" Let us know if the above worked for you, and we'll go from there.
    Thank you for the detailed explanation!! I had already made my google account my default account a few days ago. But, when I entered a NEW contact into my Pre just this morning, and then tried syncing to google, the NEW contact now shows up in google, but not the 90+ contacts that were in my phone before.

Maybe this has something to do with it: When I upgraded to 1.3.5.1 I lost ALL my contacts. It took tech support at Palm three days to get my contacts "pushed" back onto my Pre. Could this have caused something to go awry, making those contacts un-syncable?

PS: I have NOT upgraded to 1.4 yet for fear that I will lose everything again. I REALLY want this info on google first!!
    Last edited by megan123; 03/01/2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added the PS:
    Quote Originally Posted by megan123 View Post
    Thank you for the detailed explanation!! I had already made my google account my default account a few days ago. But, when I entered a NEW contact into my Pre just this morning, and then tried syncing to google, the NEW contact now shows up in google, but not the 90+ contacts that were in my phone before.

Maybe this has something to do with it: When I upgraded to 1.3.5.1 I lost ALL my contacts. It took tech support at Palm three days to get my contacts "pushed" back onto my Pre. Could this have caused something to go awry, making those contacts un-syncable?

PS: I have NOT upgraded to 1.4 yet for fear that I will lose everything again. I REALLY want this info on google first!!
    It sounds like those contacts were in the Palm Profile, which does not sync to anything else. The three easiest ways out of the issues are:
    • Add the HomeBrew patch that allows you to send your entire Palm Profile account as a VCF file that can then be manipulated inot a file to import into Google (via the web based Google Contacts app)
    • Go ahead and do the 1.4 update, then send each contact as VCF file, which you can then import into Google
    • Manually enter the Palm Profile contacts into Google, then deleted the Palm Profile contacts.
  7.    #7  
    Are you saying there is no way to sync directly from my Pre phone to both Palm Profile AND Google?

If I chose Google as my default account, then nothing will go to my Palm Profile, and vice versa?

Let's say I am starting over... If I were to sync to google first, then change the default to Palm and sync there, would my contacts and calendar be in both places?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Add the HomeBrew patch that allows you to send your entire Palm Profile account as a VCF file that can then be manipulated inot a file to import into Google (via the web based Google Contacts app)
    Ok, I have never added a patch of any kind to any phone I have owned. And I don't know what a VCF file is (or how to manipulate one!). Does this mean I am doomed to just retype all my data?
    Are you saying there is no way to sync directly from my Pre phone to both Palm Profile AND Google?

If I chose Google as my default account, then nothing will go to my Palm Profile, and vice versa?

Let's say I am starting over... If I were to sync to google first, then change the default to Palm and sync there, would my contacts and calendar be in both places?
    The answer to the last question is No, the data would not be in both places (the Palm Profile account, and the Google account), but I think you're still missing the concept.

The Palm Profile account is only accessible one place, on your Pre (the data is backed up to Palm's servers, but only as a backup).

Your apps, Contacts, and Calendar, show both the Palm Profile data and the Google data, so you will see the data on your Pre no matter which account is used. However, if you put the data in your Palm Profile account, it will not show up on Google.

The answer is, put the information in your Google account, then it shows up on both your Pre and in Google.

You can enter the information in your Google account on your Pre by setting Google as the default account.

In short, don't use the Palm Profile account to hold data. I have hundreds of contacts and hundreds of calendar entries. They all show up on my Pre. None of them are in my Palm Profile account (except the two Sprint contacts that come by default).

Most of my data (calendar and contacts) is in Google, with some in Exchange and Facebook. It all shows up on my Pre.
    Ok, I have never added a patch of any kind to any phone I have owned. And I don't know what a VCF file is (or how to manipulate one!). Does this mean I am doomed to just retype all my data?
    VCF is the extension used for vcard files. vCard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Basically, it's a standardized format to hold contact information.

Though I haven't used the feature before (I use other more complicated, but ultimately faster methods to back up and restore contacts), I just tried it, and it's pretty simple. The Pre has everything needed to send the VCF file, and accept one and add the data.

• Make sure that Google is set as your default account (so the data is added to Google as you receive it, instead of the Palm Profile).
    • Open the Contact App, and select the user you want to copy to the Google account. This is not the "Edit" screen, just select the user.
    • Downswipe the top left Contacts menu button, and select Send Contact then Send Via Email.
    • Select yourself as the email recipient. This will send you the VCF vcard file.
    • Open the email on your Pre, when you receive it. The VCF file will show as an attachment. Click on that attachment icon, and it will open the information just as if it were a contact itm.
    • Down at the bottom left, select the button Add to Contacts. Then select Add to Existing, type in the username, and select the user.

You will now have two entries for that user (assuming you have Google set as your default), one in the Google account, and one in the Palm Profile. If you wish to clean up the information some, select Edit, and delete the Palm Profile portions of the data. Doesn't hurt to leave it there either.

This process is much easier to do, and much quicker, than it sounds. It'll take you about 5-10 seconds per user.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks again for all the info! I followed your directions and tested it out with 3 contacts. I waited a few hours to see if they would appear in my google account, but they did not.

So, instead, I sent all contact vcards to my email, opened my email on my computer, downloaded every vcard and saved them to my hard drive. May not be the most efficient way to back up my contacts, but at least if my phone decides to deleted them all again, I still have a copy somewhere.

Now I am thinking I would like to print out all my contact info. Paranoid? Maybe, but losing this data again might just prompt me to open a vein.
    I sure do miss Palm Desktop!
    Since 1.4 I am having trouble syncing my google account calendar to the pre. If I enter an event on my pre it shows up in google. no problem, however, if I enter an event on the google calendar, it never gets to the pre. Any ideas?