1.    #1  
    I left my former job yesterday and my Exchange account was disabled by the IT manager.

My Palm Pre obviously complains about authentication problem. I was more than happy to remove the Exchange account from my phone so I'm not forced to have a passcode just to make a phone call.

However, after I remove the Exchange account, all my contacts disappeared!

I did notice that my phone last back up was before the Exchange account was disabled.

Is it possible to reload my contacts my logging into my Palm account/profile? A local store tech explained to me that I can view my Palm profile's contact info under Contact preference. I looked it up and it has has 3 contacts left (the 3 default Sprint contacts).

If I can ask the IT guy at my previous company to re-able my account and do a re-sync, how can I avoid the same problem once the Exchange account is once again removed?

I do have a Gmail account on my phone too. Is it possible transfer my Exchange contacts over to the Gmail?
    I believe ur problem is ur exchange account was set as the primary so any contacts you added were being added to that account and not to ur palm profile.
    Unfortunately (and fortunately) Synergy only pulls together your contact sources on the phone... what sync'ed from Exchange stays in the Exchange profile only. Hindsight being 20/20, the thing to do would have been to export them from Outlook to a csv file before you left. If the IT guy is real nice and will re-enable it, maybe he could do that for you, or allow you on the network long enough to do it.

There is no "easy" way to get them out of the database if you restore them, but it can be done. There is a script on here somewhere that you can run from your device to export the Palm Profile contacts, which from looking at it looked like it would be simple to change it to export all contacts (or from a different profile). If you restore the backup and copy the PalmDatabase.db3 file to the media partition using Internalz or Terminal (if you haven't upgraded to 1.4 yet), you can open it using a program that supports SQLite databases and browse the tables to find the data. I have done this, (mostly out of curiosity) and while it's not a real complex relationship between the tables, it's not real simple either.
    you can probably manually extract the contact omce they are added to the phone or use a patch to send all contacts by email. I am not sure if it still works.
    Did you use Outlook? (You did keep a backup of your contacts in a .PST file didn't you?) You could export the contacts to vCard format or CSV and import them into Google.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    There's a patch that lets you send all contacts via email. That'll give you a .vcf file that can then be imported into any application. Much easier than the other solutions mentioned.

Or yeah, you can use Outlook to export them.
  7.    #7  
    I used Outlook at my job... I guess I can ask my ex-employer to let me use the computer to export the contacts but I have to make a trip to the company.

If they re-activate my account, I can add the Exchange account back to my phone but what can I do to make the Contacts AND calendar stick once it's removed again?

Yes I presume I probably had the Exchange account listed as the primary account for Contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    There's a patch that lets you send all contacts via email. That'll give you a .vcf file that can then be imported into any application. Much easier than the other solutions mentioned.

Or yeah, you can use Outlook to export them.
    How did I miss that patch?