Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    New Pre user this week (sprint) and former blackberry user

I love the capability's my new Pre has over the BB Curve but I am having a hard time figuring some things out

Sorry it is long please help! email related!

My email was deleting all emails after I read them on my phone even though I had it set to 30 days from my outlook work account.

After browsing the boards I found out I needed to change my settings in outlook to "keep a copy on sever" I did and this worked as it remained on my phone after I read it. However, now when I get a new email to my outlook account it deletes other emails and goes to just the newest 1 in the in-box.

This does not happen with my gmail account and only on my outlook work account. I do not want to forward my emails to gmail because I want to be able to reply cleanly on my work email.

I am in site selection for commercial real estate and I am often in the field or on the road- work email is the most important function of my phone.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

In short summary my outlook email will not remain in the inbox for 30 days as specified

I have over 7gbs free on the phone so space isnt the issues
    I have updated to the most current firmware 1.3.5.1
    And I am able to recieve and send emails on the account- they just wont save to my inbox

all advice is appreciated.. i really dont want to go back to blackberry but I need to figure this out or I will have to
    It will help if we know if your work email server is a pop or imap server. From what you're saying it sounds like it's POP.

I would check with whoever administers your work email server and see if they also offer imap. Quite a few servers can run both ways. If it offers imap you want to switch Outlook to that, so that way your emails are saved on the server, and your Pre and Outlook will always be in sync.

Gmail is actually using imap on your pre.
    ask your work IT for your IMAP settings

he should know what it is and provide it for you
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    It will help if we know if your work email server is a pop or imap server. From what you're saying it sounds like it's POP.

I would check with whoever administers your work email server and see if they also offer imap. Quite a few servers can run both ways. If it offers imap you want to switch Outlook to that, so that way your emails are saved on the server, and your Pre and Outlook will always be in sync.

Gmail is actually using imap on your pre.
    Thank you for the reply.

It is POP and we are a small company with external IT. I do not know if we have offer Imap but my guess would be no. Is there a simple way to change from POP to IMAP? Im not real tech savvy...
    most if not all servers nowadays have imap access.

my guess though if it is a small company, then they sign up for a small email storage with the host (shared between workers)...

if you go for an imap setting, your emails will build up over time, and your IT guys might not like you using up their hosting space.
    I work for a small company. Our web designer hosts our website and our email. Everyone had pop settings in there because they didn't know better. I decided to ask our webmaster if we had imap access and he said his servers did. Since then I had our companies email moved over to google apps, which is like Gmail but for your domain. Happy I made the move and it's completely free for up to 50 users.

Oh yeah to test out imap without calling him/her, just setup a new account in your outlook choose imap for the server type, copy all your email settings except in the incoming mail server change it from pop.xx.xx to imap.xx.xx. See if that works.

You can also open up a command prompt in windows and type ping imap.xx.xx and see if it actually hits a server. If it does most likely you have an imap enabled server. Trust me this is 10 times better than trying to use POP between your outlook and your phone.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    I work for a small company. Our web designer hosts our website and our email. Everyone had pop settings in there because they didn't know better. I decided to ask our webmaster if we had imap access and he said his servers did. Since then I had our companies email moved over to google apps, which is like Gmail but for your domain. Happy I made the move and it's completely free for up to 50 users.

Oh yeah to test out imap without calling him/her, just setup a new account in your outlook choose imap for the server type, copy all your email settings except in the incoming mail server change it from pop.xx.xx to imap.xx.xx. See if that works.

You can also open up a command prompt in windows and type ping imap.xx.xx and see if it actually hits a server. If it does most likely you have an imap enabled server. Trust me this is 10 times better than trying to use POP between your outlook and your phone.
    Found out we are hosted by sectorlink(i think), According to our bill IMAP is offered.. i set up a new account with IMAP as settings in outlook and it worked..will this fix the problem or am I was off?

Couple Follow up ?s
    Also Do I have to make that my default account
    and will I have to manually delete emails on the sever? With that work if I go to mail.xxx.xxx to get the web based email and delete after a while when it builds up?
    Quote Originally Posted by wv06 View Post
    Found out we are hosted by sectorlink(i think), According to our bill IMAP is offered.. i set up a new account with IMAP as settings in outlook and it worked..will this fix the problem or am I was off?

Couple Follow up ?s
    Also Do I have to make that my default account
    and will I have to manually delete emails on the sever? With that work if I go to mail.xxx.xxx to get the web based email and delete after a while when it builds up?
    This is how imap works. When you delete an email from your phone, it deletes it on the server. When you delete it from Outlook it's gone from the server. So once you delete it from one place it's gone on all places. You won't have to go into the webmail page to delete anything since it'll be gone once you delete it from either of the other two sources. Outlook is a bit weird in how it handles imap deletions though. When you delete an email in outlook. It'll grey it out and put a line through it. You now have to Edit > Purge > Marked Items...

If you're running Outlook 2007 you can go into the Account settings, then choose the account then hit more settings, then check "Purge items when switching folders while online". This is a preference and once an item is purged it's gone. Outlook doesn't use Imap trash, the Pre will.

It makes syncing all your devices so much easier.

The only downside is all your old emails are not on the server. You can use outlook to drag these from the inbox of your pop account to your imap account now.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Everything appears to be working now..thanks everyone