1.    #1  
    Perhaps the title should be answered in 2 different forums, but here goes...

My head is spinning from all the various "3rd party apps" available for sync'ing of the calendar, etc. So, here are my needs, can someone with more experience please tell me which app is best? Those bad boys are expensive & I don't want to buy the "wrong one."

I'm an old fashion girl & like to have my data stored on my desktop, however I'm open to change (not really but I'm desperate!).

I need a program to sync my stuff (calendar, contacts, etc) and I have not used any 3rd party calendars/contacts i.e. Outlook, Google, etc. I have strictly been a Palm Desktop/Hotsync/Device gal. In the past, I would occ. export info to a Google Calendar, but my main source of info/data was my Palm device.

I am running Classic app on my Pre Plus b/c of Datebook (my true love) but feel like it is cumbersome & adds layers to my Pre. I just want to update & keep my stuff current....

I'm aware of CompanionLink, Mark/Space & PocketMirror, to list a few. Each seems to have great features but each wants to sync with Outlook or Google or whatever....and I haven't ventured into those apps/programs. But am willing to do so, if someone will tell me which is best.

I am a RN, so I'm not confined by "work issues" i.e. meetings or work email, etc. I use DBook as my schedule is EXTREMELY irregular. DB seems to be the only program which permits me to enter an "irregular" repeating events which is the ONLY reason I haven't used Outlook, Google, etc

So...I can save your life, but can't pick a program for my Pre!! Sorry in advance....

Not sure what to do...please advise....(and yes, I'm crazy, but this whole thing is magnifiying my unstable mind!)...LOL
  2.    #2  
    I meant to add, I've been "Hotsyncing" my DB Calendar between my Pre/Desktop using Classic, which I will continue to do. But would like a way for everything on my palm desktop, calendar included (I know that sounds redundant) transferred/updated back/forth from device to desktop.
    Only you know for sure what best suits your needs. But since Google sync for both Calendar and Contacts is free, and IMO one of the most stable options, and supported by Palm ... I would highly recommend giving it a try and seeing if you can make it work for you.

Trying to shoehorn the WebOS cloud sync model into the old PalmOS desktop model is, at best, cumbersome. And, I think you're missing one of the best parts of WebOS gong that way. YMMV.
  4.    #4  
    Thanx for your reply..

I thought GooSync was no longer free.....I did try it for the 7 day trial & it worked well, but now they are charging. I just want to make sure I purchase the "right" program if I'm going to spend the $$$.

And I understand (in theory) what you are saying i.e. the "best part of WebOS"....I'm not familiar enough to know all the perks of the WebOS (have only had the Palm for a few weeks). My alligience to Datebook has really tied my hands, it is all sourced in my darn irregular work schedule....
    Sorry ... guess I wasn't clear ... I was suggesting that you use Google Calendar instead the Datebook calendar, and that gives you the built-in sync. Maybe this won't work for you, and obviously there are a lot of other options ... but this is really the simplest and most problem free way IMO.
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    I use Echo to sync with the Palm Desktop. I love it!
    Nicky
    Having been an avid Agendus user for many years, I faced your dilemma and feel your pain. I even discussed it in another thread:

[url]

As you'll see from that post, I came to the realization that it is time to let go of the "old ways". PalmOS is going away. The pre is in the clouds so that's where us Pre users belong.

You have two real options. I did not understand from your post if you had Outlook/MS Exchange server available as an option or not. If you do, set up your Outlook account on your Pre as an EAS connection and start using it on the desktop. It is fully synced, calendar, contacts and tasks. That solution is great if you don't mind having everything on the Exchange server (including personal contacts). Setting it up to receive mail as items arrive or every 30 minutes makes it a hands off sync so its all done in the background.

For personal stuff, or if you just don't want to use Outlook, set up a gmail/google account and do the following:

1. Get all of your contacts onto Google. This will take some effort and possibly the help of a friendly geek if you're not geek prone. There are several avenues for this but for me it was exporting my contacts from PD to a csv file and editing it, then importing it. There are trial programs though that you can get that will do the same thing. Since its one time only you should be able to get it done within the trial period.

2. Create shortcuts on your desktop to go to Google Calendar and Google Contacts. THAT will be your desktop solution.

3. Get your Google account onto the Pre. Once there, it will sync up "automagically".

4. For memos, it looks like Evernote is the best solution going for now.

5. Tasks are a tricky one and I haven't a good answer for that for non-Outlook users.

6. Set up your gmail account to be synced as items arrive, or perhaps every 30 minutes. As with the Outlook/EAS approach, the syncing becomes a hands off background approach.

Bottom line is...cable based hotsyncing and all that goes along with it is going the way of the slide rule. Time to move on .
    Last edited by Starbuckk; 03/01/2010 at 09:44 AM.
    I think you should give Chapura Echo a try Echo is the Palm Desktop synchronization solution for Palm Pre (I use PocketMirror which is the same thing but for Outlook). It syncs your Palm desktop with your Pre so you don't really have to change much. You just get all the data in the native Pre apps.
    It's not cheap, but you can download free Task and Note apps from the app catalog that I think are really good. They are the most used apps on my Pre, lots better then the native WebOS apps.
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Clié UX50 - T|x - Pré - Pré 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hz-R View Post
    I think you should give Chapura Echo a try Echo is the Palm Desktop synchronization solution for Palm Pre (I use PocketMirror which is the same thing but for Outlook). It syncs your Palm desktop with your Pre so you don't really have to change much. You just get all the data in the native Pre apps.
    It's not cheap, but you can download free Task and Note apps from the app catalog that I think are really good. They are the most used apps on my Pre, lots better then the native WebOS apps.
    I totally agree. I works just like my good ole HotSync, which is all that I wanted.
    Nicky