1.    #1  
    I've been using a Mac for about 4 years now and love iCal/Address Book. I'd much like to leave my information on there and sync that to my new Pre.

In the past, I've used Missing Sync to sync my Palm OS Treo (bought MS twice, upgrade), BlackBerry, and even did the trial with the Pre. It worked fine, but in this day and age, and I don't like having to come home, turn on WiFi, open Missing Sync on both the Pre and Mac, and manually sync the device (proximity sync never worked well).

I know this is more of a limitation of OS X and Pre, not so much Missing Sync, but I would like to be able to sync wherever I am and whenever. Is this available, or would I have to purchase Spanning Sync (tried it in the past, it's alright) to sync Mac stuff to Google.

I know Missing Sync gives me some other features, like syncing folders (great to keep a backup of your Quicken/budget files) and music, but I'm just looking for other ways to do this.

Just for some additional information, my next phone is going to be an iPhone (if they come to Sprint), WebOS device (I'm loving it), or Android (depends on if Palm can get some durable hardware out).

I know there have been some chatter on here about Mac users, but there aren't many threads, and it'd be nice to maybe have a section or something devoted to what we're using to sync our Pres.
    You can sync iCal/Address Book with Google without any third-party software if you have 10.5 or 10.6. I've only tried syncing iCal with Google Calendar. When I tried it, I had to create new calendars specifically to sync with Google and then import all my existing events.

Here's the info:
    iCal to Google: Sync with iCal or Sunbird - Google Calendar Help
    Address Book to Google: Enable Google Contact Sync Without an iPhone or iPod Touch - Address Book - Lifehacker
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I have 4 macs and 2 pres all synced together.
    I would reccomend not using missing sync or anyother syncing software, it only messes everything up eventually
    Make sure you have a mobile me account and google account
    move your gmail contacts (export) to your address book , or dont
    move your ical dates to your google calendar, or dont
    erase gmail contacts and calendar
    turn mobile me syncing on
    open address book preferences, under accounts cick sync with mobile me and google
    open ical pref, click accounts, add a caldav account which is your google account information.( now it will access your google account for info and any changes made will sync)

now you make sure your pre is sunced with google for contacts and calendar and you are done!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    You can sync iCal/Address Book with Google without any third-party software if you have 10.5 or 10.6. I've only tried syncing iCal with Google Calendar. When I tried it, I had to create new calendars specifically to sync with Google and then import all my existing events.

Here's the info:
    iCal to Google: Sync with iCal or Sunbird - Google Calendar Help
    Address Book to Google: Enable Google Contact Sync Without an iPhone or iPod Touch - Address Book - Lifehacker
    This
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  5.    #5  
    What I'd like to do is have the originals on my Mac. I like being able to decide what goes where instead of Google deciding what fields to use. So really, I would want it to sync one way from Mac to Google, then to Pre. The problem with that is I'd have to make all changes on my Mac when I got home instead of being able to do it wherever I am.

Maybe I should just try it out. What's the difference between using this and Spanning Sync, besides the obvious price issues? I tried Spanning Sync and, from what I remember, I left everything where it was and just let it sync whenever it needed to.

Any other benefit over using the free stuff?
  6.    #6  
    I went ahead and bought a one year subscription to Spanning Sync. So far, so good. I haven't put anything into my phone to see how that works, but it synced everything ok.
    I sync iCal and address book to Google and then to Pre. I used 'Collaboration' to sync iCal and Soocial.com to sync Google Contacts with Address book. I had to find a work around from switching to the Pre from WinMo. I hated Missing Sync it was the one program that was guaranteed to crash my Mac. I wouldn't go back. I now never have to plug in my Pre (Touchstone to charge) except when I mess with iTunes.