1.    #1  
    I finally set up my contacts to sync with Facebook and found that to be a big mistake. I have quite a number of FB contacts that I know that I'll never contact from my Pre, mainly people that I graduated from high school with over 10 years ago. Does anyone know if it is in the works to get selective syncing with Facebook and Yahoo (Messenger primarily) that would allow syncing just who I want from these services, or be able to delete the contact from the phone but leave them in contact on the source website?

Maybe add something to the Contact Account Preferences to make the contact sync selectable. After the initial sync, the login page does display how many contacts are available. I could almost see clicking on that indicator to get a detailed list of the contacts and have a tap the name to activate or deactivate the sync with that service.

Am I the only one that would be interested in a feature like this?
    When I started using universal search, I had no problem with having more contacts. In fact, it was nice to know that any person I had befriended on facebook, I could shoot an email if I needed to (many people don't put in their cell phones so it doesn't work *as well* for quick emergency calls)
    I have over 5000 contacts because I have been in business for 25 years. In business its often not what you know, its who you know. Many of these contacts I will probably never contact again but then again you never know when you might need a patent attorney, congressman or a certain type of sales person. All of which are in my Pre if I ever need to reach out to them.

When I do, I just start typing their name. I never scroll through my contacts because that would take forever.

As subversiveasset said, the key is to just use Universal search and then it does not matter how many people are in your contact list.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    it still matters how many people in your contact list even with universal search.
    Less contacts means fewer keystrokes to put who you want at the top of the list. So having people you definitely will never contact is an annoyance.

I'm guessing search results are also probably slowed down a bit if you have tons of contacts.
    I created a contact and named it "FACEBOOK" and linked all the facebook people I'll never contact into that group... so that the clutter is down on the contact list..

If I know the person (ie my wife) I just link that to her contact info... and walla... 2 contacts.. one name

I have well over 100 people in my "Facebook" group... heck only knows if I'll ever contact them to have to scroll through em all. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by musiccity View Post
    I created a contact and named it "FACEBOOK" and linked all the facebook people I'll never contact into that group... so that the clutter is down on the contact list..

If I know the person (ie my wife) I just link that to her contact info... and walla... 2 contacts.. one name

I have well over 100 people in my "Facebook" group... heck only knows if I'll ever contact them to have to scroll through em all. LOL
    cool you can link contacts with a fb account! but i guess its going to take a while to do that right with several fb contacts different from our contact lists?

I am also kinda OC with contacts in my phone. but overall i want the one in the phone to be the most updated.

I have erased my google and yahoo contacts too if that is any help or any good
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    cool you can link contacts with a fb account! but i guess its going to take a while to do that right with several fb contacts different from our contact lists?

I am also kinda OC with contacts in my phone. but overall i want the one in the phone to be the most updated.

I have erased my google and yahoo contacts too if that is any help or any good
    yeah it takes a little time.. since you have to click into the name you want to link then click link then click on the facebook contact ... to link them together... but you only have to do it once.
    i put all the my close friends with a period (.) before their name. and my family with a @ before their name. so if i want to call family i just search @mom or @dad. or for my friends just .john or .jane, its very quick solution for me.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by musiccity View Post

I like that idea and went ahead and did it. It cleaned everything up quite nicely.
    finally got around to doing this to my facebook contacts, because I installed the new facebook client today without knowing it would automatically sync to my phone contacts...

took forever, as the pixi was laggy as could be while linking, lag caused me to randomly call some number off the list, can't even tell who it was because there are a 100 people under that contact and the numbers are not identified. That's 90% of the reason I didn't want all those contacts in there (accidental call of somebody I don't really even know). Webos could use an easy way to cancel a call, in case of an accidental press, by time the phone app loads up and you can hit hang up it is already too late(usually connected by then).