Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Everything displays correctly in MM but when i Sync to the pre not one album art goes over. Even on items that had the art on before? Seems weird. I have checked all the settings and can't figure this out. getting frustrated!!

My search continues. I did resolve the itunes launching issue!!! one down now the big one to go.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    Everything displays correctly in MM but when i Sync to the pre not one album art goes over. Even on items that had the art on before? Seems weird. I have checked all the settings and can't figure this out. getting frustrated!!

My search continues. I did resolve the itunes launching issue!!! one down now the big one to go.
    It seems like MediaMonkey might ignore the image in the track tag but instead use the image saved to the folder to create album art for an iPod database. Try this: download the album art from Amazon and save a copy in the album folder.

Highlight all the songs from an album, then hit CTRL-L. Select the options to download to the track tag and to the album folder. Synchronize tags and then sync to your Pre and see if that works.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I will give it a try once i get home i might have another program that will find the info and sync it? Working on that too.
    I will give it a try once i get home i might have another program that will find the info and sync it? Working on that too.
    Just another idea... have you tried changing the sync style to USB drive from IPod / IPhone?

I'm not 100% certain about this, but I've never used the Iphone (media sync) approach to MM sync.

I've only ever used USB and I'm nearly sure that all of my media have the correct images on the Pre (Well, those that have associated album art in the first place). All of my album art is embedded in the .mp3 tags in the .mp3 file. I keep my mp3 folders clean of album art files which used to show up when I managed my music with M$ Media Player.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Just another idea... have you tried changing the sync style to USB drive from IPod / IPhone?

I'm not 100% certain about this, but I've never used the Iphone (media sync) approach to MM sync.

I've only ever used USB and I'm nearly sure that all of my media have the correct images on the Pre (Well, those that have associated album art in the first place). All of my album art is embedded in the .mp3 tags in the .mp3 file. I keep my mp3 folders clean of album art files which used to show up when I managed my music with M$ Media Player.
    How do you sync your playlist using the pre as USB??
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    How do you sync your playlist using the pre as USB??
    You don't, not easily at least. I used to manually export an m3u file from media monkey, then edit it to just have the filename and not the path, then had to keep all the music in one folder on my Pre.

The media sync solution in MM is much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    You don't, not easily at least. I used to manually export an m3u file from media monkey, then edit it to just have the filename and not the path, then had to keep all the music in one folder on my Pre.

The media sync solution in MM is much better.
    As I said, it's been a while, but I was fairly sure it all happened pretty much automatically. I have a playlist from my son's birthday party mix on my Pre and playable in Music Player Remix and I'm pretty sure it just came over with the music.

BUT... I do not use Apple's folder structure at home or on my pre. ALL music is in one big folder (along with the m3u lists). As I write this, I do seem to recall issues people had when the music and m3u list were not in the same directory.

All of that said, cwgtex has an extremely good grasp of the workings of MM and I could just be out of my mind about this being 'easier' than I thought.

I can test this out over the next few days and I'll let you know. Might not be tonight though.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    well i can wait at this point. Even if i can just get the album art to download and embed into the file i would be ahead of the game. I can handle using Double twist to sync. It weird how the files won't take the art. any info is good info at this point!
    I have a dumb question...

Did you remove all of the music from your device before trying to sync it for the first time with MM? I don't know that it would cause a problem if it's already ON the device from syncing with another program, but it might...
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    well i can wait at this point. Even if i can just get the album art to download and embed into the file i would be ahead of the game. I can handle using Double twist to sync. It weird how the files won't take the art. any info is good info at this point!
    Try what I asked you to do already (saving art into album folders then syncing iPod style) when you get the chance. I am really curious if that is the fix.

And if it is the fix we both might be helping someone else who runs into this problem later and then reads this thread.

I would just figure it out myself but all my album art works properly, so I have to rely on those users with problems (you) for troubleshooting the issue.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I thought i deleted it but not 100% on it. Should i delete my ipod control folder? What folders should i delete before i try a sync again. Also the auto organize folders? I have a lot of music that i have that is just thrown into one folder. I really don't need to get at it but should i have it set up and organized better? Also if i do that via MM i will lose my tracks in iTunes and have to find them all again. Should i leave it or make a change??
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I thought i deleted it but not 100% on it. Should i delete my ipod control folder? What folders should i delete before i try a sync again. Also the auto organize folders? I have a lot of music that i have that is just thrown into one folder. I really don't need to get at it but should i have it set up and organized better? Also if i do that via MM i will lose my tracks in iTunes and have to find them all again. Should i leave it or make a change??
    Yes, delete your iPod control folder on the device (it is hidden), and then start fresh.

I would set up your auto-organize. I'm not sure if it is 100% needed, but it couldn't hurt.

If you do the auto-organize in MM, it will rename and organize the files, so I would guess that yes, it would probably make iTunes go bonkers.
    Also, I'd make a copy of your iPod Control Folder, as well as any music you're going to delete...you know, just in case. It can't hurt to have it all backed up!
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    ha funny i just deleted ipod control and now i can't get the media sync option. Any ideas??

I wasn't worried about the music on it because i have it all on about 3 different players now. lol

Anyways if anyone can share the info that's in there that would be great!!!
    the media sync option has to be activated on ur 1.4 device. Just go to Device Info and then on the app menu->preferences

Make sure that ur Pre is using the ipod sync dll in Mediamonkey. Go to options and there you will see all connected devices and the sync dll that is being used. Change it accordingly, configure sync (ipod file structure on, embed album art in tags) and it should work.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Ok got it working!!!!!!!

This is what i did. I went in and deleted the previous Ipod control folder. I would suggest only deleting the contents. Then because i lost my media sync option when i did that and had to recreate that folder to stop the error in device info. So once the contents are deleted go into device info and turn off and then back on the media sync. then sync with media monkey. All my playlists showed and the album art!!!

Love it!!!! Ty!!!!

I appreciate the patience and help you guys gave me!!!!
    Congrats pchrist!!! Glad to see you got it working.

I'm still interested in trying out the MediaSync approach to syncing with MM --where MM treats it like an ipod / iphone (I just haven't had time). Do I need Itunes installed to use this sync approach?

I'm just curious... What is the format of the playlist files when using MM sync in Media Sync mode with the Pre masquerading as an ipod?

So for now, I'll continue to use the USB sync approach. On that note (and as I indicated was most likely the case yesterday), cwgtex was absolutely right about playlists when using USB to sync -- My only prior playlist transfer did require some manual edits of the .m3u file for me to get it to work -it had been so long since I did it (and it was quite simple to do) so I just forgot.

In simplist terms, for the Pre to play a .m3u playlist, it is just looking for the .m3u to contain a simple filename list and does not want \path\to\the\file format which MM uses for .m3u transfer. Additionally, ALL of the media files for that playlist must be in the same folder as the .m3u. This means for those of you who prefer the apple hierarchical folder structure rather than a big long list of music in one folder, you're out of luck. Me, I prefer the single folder so I can scroll / review the full list in file explorer.

I've posted this information over at the MM site forums and one of the dev's responded that they will support Palm-Pre-compatible .m3u playlist transfers in the next version. I noticed petvas and pchrist have already been over there, but in case anyone else is interested in investigating Pre Music Sync in MM, the most recent discussion on Pre syncing (and my posts on the USB sync / .m3u playlists) is located here:

MediaMonkey • View topic - Syncing with Palm Pre?
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I appreciate the patience and help you guys gave me!!!!
    Glad you are up and running. Go hit thanks on the original post if you want.

I'm still interested in trying out the MediaSync approach to syncing with MM --where MM treats it like an ipod / iphone (I just haven't had time). Do I need Itunes installed to use this sync approach?
    No. I wouldn't use this method if it did.
    I ing hate Apple, dang sue-happy cry babies. MediaMonkey better watch out, Apple might try to sue them for copying to devices in "iPod style" folders.

(note: This is my opinion, if yours if different I don't care you're not gonna change my mind. Apple = EVIL)

I'm just curious... What is the format of the playlist files when using MM sync in Media Sync mode with the Pre masquerading as an ipod?
    There isn't so much individual playlist files; it's a database. That database contains reference to all the songs, as well as which ones to index for what playlist.
    (note: This is my opinion, if yours if different I don't care you're not gonna change my mind. Apple = EVIL)
    I've never owned an apple product myself, so no apologies needed here. Never trust a computer with less than two buttons on it's mouse. I was lost one day using apple since I'm so used to right-clicking to get to context menus. I'm not a blind following M$ fan either -- hence I also avoid WMP with all the energy I can muster. Hence, arriving at MM

There isn't so much individual playlist files; it's a database. That database contains reference to all the songs, as well as which ones to index for what playlist.
    Interesting... so this database can be read by the Palm music player and by Dan's Music Player Remix? Very interesting indeed.... Palm couldn't even get the player to read a text .m3u playlist file with full\path\name\song.mp3 playlists, but they got the apple playlist database imported and working ok!!! Wow?!!
    MM is working fine for me (Windows 7) except every time I add something to my library and synch to the Pre, I need to remove the Pre battery before Music Remix will load. Not exactly elegant or convenient--is there an alternative?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast