1.    #1  
    Iím using IMAP and Googleís incoming server and port but Iím using my own domain name instead so it displays my domain e-mail name instead of google. However to do this Iím having to use my ISPs outgoing smtp settings, i.e. smtp.talktalk.net in MS Outlook. However, this isnít the case on my Pre. I caní t get O2s settings to work.
    I can use googles outgoing server but that displays the google address as well as my domain address.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    I'm a little lost. Are you using Google's domain services? If so, you should be able to use their servers (that's how I'm doing it).
  3.    #3  
    I’m using my own domain, not Google’s domain services. I’m running IMAP but if I don’t configure the smtp settings then it displays my domain then a message saying on behalf of.
    Quote Originally Posted by squidie View Post
    I can use googles outgoing server but that displays the google address as well as my domain address.
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. Where is your domain hosted? Don't they have IMAP servers? I have my own domain hosted at 1and1.com and use their IMAP servers with no problem on the Pre.
  5. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squidie View Post
    Iím using IMAP and Googleís incoming server and port but Iím using my own domain name instead so it displays my domain e-mail name instead of google. However to do this Iím having to use my ISPs outgoing smtp settings, i.e. smtp.talktalk.net in MS Outlook. However, this isnít the case on my Pre. I caní t get O2s settings to work.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    It sounds like you're trying to duplicate Google Apps Premier, but with only a g-mail free account, correct? Google obviously won't allow you to do this using their outgoing server unless you upgrade to a Premier account (which it sounds like you know based on your description of using your ISP server for outgoing in Outlook). I'm not sure why using your ISP server would work in Outlook, but not on your Pre though. Are you setting up the e-mail account on your Pre manually? Or are you merely choosing that it's a g-mail account on the Pre, and therefore you aren't offered the opportunity to add your own outgoing server manually? If you can provide more detail on exactly what steps you are taking in setting the account up on the Pre (server, port, etc.), maybe someone (and/or I) might be able to help further.
    I suspect the problem is that your ISP, like many others has imposed port 25 blocking which prohibits connecting to any other SMTP than theirs from their connection. This is done to prevent your machine from unwittingly becoming a spam generator.

Unfortunately most ISP's, while requiring you to connect through their SMTP server when on their network, they also block it when NOT, thus creating havoc for people "on the go", especially if you are specifying a return address that is not their domain.

When you set your ISP's SMTP server on the pre, did you use your ISP credentials for authentication or Google's? Seems obvious but got to ask.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Many ISP also will not allow you bounce mail off their server (outgoing server) from outside their network. In other words, you can bounce mail off the SMTP server from home, but not from your Pre (unless on wireless).

I'd suggest you get a Google Apps account for your domain. It's free if you have a small number of users (25 I think, may be 50), and works very well with the Pre.