1.    #1  
    OK, it's my own fault. I decided to try two different sync programs before deciding which to buy. So, each sync'd, and each of them added all the contacts. WebOS realizes they are duplicates, so they are grouped together. But, I have almost 3,000 contacts, so I really want to de-duplicate my contacts. Any advice?

I tried attaching it to my PC as a USB drive, and the Palm partition must be hidden because I couldn't see any contact info.

Also, if I have to do a hard reset to start over, what happens to all the appstore apps I've purchased and installed? Are they stored in my Palm profile?

Argh!
    yes your apps are stored in your profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    OK, it's my own fault. I decided to try two different sync programs before deciding which to buy. So, each sync'd, and each of them added all the contacts. WebOS realizes they are duplicates, so they are grouped together. But, I have almost 3,000 contacts, so I really want to de-duplicate my contacts. Any advice?

I tried attaching it to my PC as a USB drive, and the Palm partition must be hidden because I couldn't see any contact info.

Also, if I have to do a hard reset to start over, what happens to all the appstore apps I've purchased and installed? Are they stored in my Palm profile?

Argh!
    What are your Profiles? I mean, are you syncing to Google, to Exchange, or to your local Palm Profile only?
    what im getting out of it is that he used 3rd party desktop syncs and they doubled up his contacts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    what im getting out of it is that he used 3rd party desktop syncs and they doubled up his contacts
    Yes, but exactly how it did it will make a difference. I see three possible scenarios (though there are probably more):
    1. They duped them all to his local Palm profile.
    2. They created some in his local Palm profile, and some in Google or Exchange profiles (or some other 3rd party profile)
    3. They created all of them in a Google or Exchange profile (or some other 3rd party profile)

#1 is the hardest to fix, but can be done. Simplest solution would be to apply a patch (from HomeBrew) that allows him to email the entire list as a CSV, then edit out the dupes.
    #2 is probably the easiest to fix. If one of the 3rd party cloud accounts has at least all of the contacts, he can turn off the backups, and do a reset. This will delete all of the Palm Profile accounts, but leave the 3rd party untouched. If the 3rd party account has dupes after this, he'd go to the solution for the 3rd scenario.
    #3 On this one, export the contacts, delete all of them on the 3rd party account, clean up the dupes, then import the cleaned up contacts back.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yes, but exactly how it did it will make a difference. I see three possible scenarios (though there are probably more):
    1. They duped them all to his local Palm profile.
    2. They created some in his local Palm profile, and some in Google or Exchange profiles (or some other 3rd party profile)
    3. They created all of them in a Google or Exchange profile (or some other 3rd party profile)

#1 is the hardest to fix, but can be done. Simplest solution would be to apply a patch (from HomeBrew) that allows him to email the entire list as a CSV, then edit out the dupes.
    #2 is probably the easiest to fix. If one of the 3rd party cloud accounts has at least all of the contacts, he can turn off the backups, and do a reset. This will delete all of the Palm Profile accounts, but leave the 3rd party untouched. If the 3rd party account has dupes after this, he'd go to the solution for the 3rd scenario.
    #3 On this one, export the contacts, delete all of them on the 3rd party account, clean up the dupes, then import the cleaned up contacts back.

I didn't sync to gmail, my palm profile, etc. I only sync'd to my local outlook client. First I did it with PocketMirror, then I did it with CompanionLink. I set COmpanionLink to "overwrite the Palm" so I figured it would replace the contacts, but it didn't. Instead, the Pre interpreted each of those as a different source, and it grouped them together with Synergy.

So, once I was sure that my AppStore purchases were stored on my profile, I did a hard reset back to factory fresh, and then used CompanionLink to synchronize with Outlook. Problem solved.
    I didn't sync to gmail, my palm profile, etc. I only sync'd to my local outlook client. First I did it with PocketMirror, then I did it with CompanionLink. I set COmpanionLink to "overwrite the Palm" so I figured it would replace the contacts, but it didn't. Instead, the Pre interpreted each of those as a different source, and it grouped them together with Synergy.
    There has to be a local profile that they apps sync'd to. In this case, since they went away after doing a hard reset, it sounds like they were stored to your Palm Profile (that's the default).

I would recommend you find a could based system to store your information. In addition to the safety of it being stored away from your Pre, you have the added advantage of having the information available to other platforms wherever you have internet access.

Google contacts/calendar/mail is free, and syncs well with the Pre. I recommend you check into it.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    CantAffordIt this is all very easy.

Each 3rd party product synchronizes to it's own Palm Account. The design of webOS insures that no app can delete information that is not supplied by that app. So CompanionLink can clean out CompanionLink data, but can't touch data in Palm Profile or any other Account.

But it's very easy to delete an Account from a 3rd Party App. Since all the data is tied to the app, the data goes away as soon as you delete the app. Press and hold the Orange Key. When the App menu displays, select the App you don't want and hit the Delete key. This not only takes out the application, it also deletes all the data associated with the application.

That's all! Give it a try. If you have any questions, feel free to call CompanionLink telephone technical support. It's free.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
    Last edited by Clcto; 02/08/2010 at 09:27 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    CantAffordIt this is all very easy.

Each 3rd party product synchronizes to it's own Palm Account. The design of webOS insures that no app can delete information that is not supplied by that app. So CompanionLink can clean out CompanionLink data, but can't touch data in Palm Profile or any other Account.

But it's very easy to delete an Account from a 3rd Party App. Since all the data is tied to the app, the data goes away as soon as you delete the app. Press and hold the Orange Key. When the App menu displays, select the App you don't want and hit the Delete key. This not only takes out the application, it also deletes all the data associated with the application.

That's all! Give it a try. If you have any questions, feel free to call CompanionLink telephone technical support. It's free.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Hi. This is a Verizon phone, so there aren't any orange keys. What else can I look for?

Also, companion link seems to ignore calendar entries created after I installed CompanionLink.

I did several hard-resets and then reinstalled companionlink, set it to only copy outlook data, etc. still isn't adding new appointments.
    Hi. This is a Verizon phone, so there aren't any orange keys. What else can I look for?
    On the Verizon Pre, it's Grey. Look under the A key.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    On the Verizon Pre, it's Grey. Look under the A key.
    Thanks. Any idea why it isn't adding any new appointments created in Outlook since last week? That's really a major problem.

I did another hard reset so I could try Chapura, but it seems to require a complete download of all 2,700 contacts over wifi on each sync. That means I lose the use of my phone for a couple of hours every time I sync. That's what I liked about CompanionLink. It's much faster via USB, and it seems to only sync the changes... works fine for contacts, but not appointments.

If I can solve that, I'll be a CompanionLink fan for ever!

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 02/08/2010 at 02:44 PM.
    Thanks. Any idea why it isn't adding any new appointments created in Outlook since last week? That's really a major problem.

I did another hard reset so I could try Chapura, but it seems to require a complete download of all 2,700 contacts over wifi on each sync. That means I lose the use of my phone for a couple of hours every time I sync. That's what I liked about CompanionLink. It's much faster via USB, and it seems to only sync the changes... works fine for contacts, but not appointments.

If I can solve that, I'll be a CompanionLink ****** for ever!

Any ideas?
    I am kinda going through the same thing right now.
    Painfully deleting all the Palm Profile entries - it's killing me slowly...
    fyi, after a full sync with Pocket Mirror - it only does the changes
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by 65K09 View Post
    I am kinda going through the same thing right now.
    Painfully deleting all the Palm Profile entries - it's killing me slowly...
    fyi, after a full sync with Pocket Mirror - it only does the changes

You might want to consider a hard reset, and then only sync with one source. Thats what I did so I didn't have to deal with 2700 duplicates. Seems to be working.

You are right about Pocket Mirror, it eventually got faster after about the 3rd sync. Too bad, though, because I really like CompanionLink - but it just won't sync new calendar entries. I well.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Wow! They should all be going fine. In CompanionLink you can use the "Options" menu and select "Reread PC Data" to force a full sync. However, this isn't needed for new entries. They all should just go automatically.

Try making a test Calendar item for next Tuesday February 16, at 2pm-3pm in Outlook. Run CL USB Sync. See if it appears on the Pre. If it doesn't, or even if it does, our tech staff may have some hints on insuring everything appears. If you like you can email me directly at wayland@companionlink.com and I'll have a tech give you a call to help.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    wayland@companionlink.com
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    Wow! They should all be going fine. In CompanionLink you can use the "Options" menu and select "Reread PC Data" to force a full sync. However, this isn't needed for new entries. They all should just go automatically.

Try making a test Calendar item for next Tuesday February 16, at 2pm-3pm in Outlook. Run CL USB Sync. See if it appears on the Pre. If it doesn't, or even if it does, our tech staff may have some hints on insuring everything appears. If you like you can email me directly at wayland@companionlink.com and I'll have a tech give you a call to help.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    wayland@companionlink.com
    Thanks for the ideas. I had actually tried that (creating test appointments in the future, using the "re-read data and/or wipe-out the data on the phone" options) before I posted here. It seemed to only see appointments created before last Friday, which is when I sync'd for the first time. After that, each hard reset would remove everything, and when it sync'd again it would only bring over appointments created before Friday. At least, thats what it seemed to be doing. I didn't have the time to try things like changing the date on my pc, create appointments in the past, etc. I finally had to go back to PocketMirror so I could get back to work. I really didn't want to do that, but I travel every week and I had to get going.

Other than that, I really liked the companionlink in every way...
    Thanks for this post, Cantaffordit, I really appreciate the info that you have in it, and CLCTO, your customer service is outstanding!

Haven't made a decision on which program I want to purchase yet, but all of this info is hleping.

Thanks again!

Lisa
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    It seemed to only see appointments created before last Friday, which is when I sync'd for the first time. After that, each hard reset would remove everything, and when it sync'd again it would only bring over appointments created before Friday.
    Oh, Gosh! I got it. Starting with 1.3.5, a partial reset renames an internal data file we use, but doesn't erase it. This brings a cases where PC is writing to one data store, but the Palm Pre is reading a different data store. So what you see is the PC Software operating normally, with no message, and it actually IS moving your data to the Pre. It's just that the Pre app doesn't see it because the data is in the wrong file.

We are posting a software fix to our web site today. What you need to do is download CompanionLink USB build 3089 (or higher). No need to uninstall or anything. Just run the update executable and over-install this on your PC.

CompanionLink Software Updates Page

Build 3089 recognizes the case where a partial reset has renamed the data files on the Pre, and makes file adjustments to clean it. It does this as a part of the normal sync process.

I hope this information helps.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I recently got a new Pre since the Headphone jack on my last one became locked. I'm just reinstalling everything. Now, when I start a PocketMirror (Chapura) sync, it tells me that I will create duplicates, so I've not done anything yet.

I'm trying to think it through, but the best I can come up with is to copy my outlook folder to a new one so I have a valid backup. That's done! Now where do I go?

It seems the best idea is to wipe all the data off of the Pre and resync with outlook, but I don;t know how to wipe that data.

BTW - a thorough search of the Chapura site offers nothing at all. The manual is a manual for the Palm Pilot....

...just found this: http://support.chapura.com/answers_m...1752&keywords= I hope it does the trick. Had to search with just the right keywords to find this.
    Last edited by TJude; 03/22/2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Found answer.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJude View Post
    I recently got a new Pre since the Headphone jack on my last one became locked. I'm just reinstalling everything. Now, when I start a PocketMirror (Chapura) sync, it tells me that I will create duplicates, so I've not done anything yet.

I'm trying to think it through, but the best I can come up with is to copy my outlook folder to a new one so I have a valid backup. That's done! Now where do I go?

It seems the best idea is to wipe all the data off of the Pre and resync with outlook, but I don;t know how to wipe that data.

BTW - a thorough search of the Chapura site offers nothing at all. The manual is a manual for the Palm Pilot....

...just found this: Chapura Knowledge Base and Support Library I hope it does the trick. Had to search with just the right keywords to find this.
    I think part of the challenge is based on where your contacts are in your Palm profile. When I set up my phone, I skipped the email set up completely. That way my Outlook contacts aren't synced with my Plam profile, or google, or anything else.

Also, to remove data from your phone (but it won't be deleted from your Palm profile) you can do a hard reset. If you do that, see if your contacts appear. If they do, then they have been synched to another location like Palm or Google. I'm not sure what to do for that. If not, then wipe it out and skip the email setup until you have synched with outlook.

You can always try synching with Chapura to see what happens (that's how I figured it out) and then wipe the phone and try again. Painful, so I hope you don't have to do that. Let us know how the method in your link works for you.