1.    #1  
    I am getting my new Pre on Monday, which will replace my Treo 755P. I have been using Yahoo email, but I also have a Google email account that I could switch to. I haven't been using the Yahoo or Google calendar (I use Outlook for calendar and contacts), but I will start using Yahoo or Google calendar (as well as contacts) so that I can automatically sync everything with Synergy. I will be exporting my Outlook calendar and contacts to Yahoo or Google, and then I'll probably use the corresponding email as my primary email address.

So, which service do you recommend I use for Synergy to sync email, calendar, and contacts--Yahoo or Google? Do both seem to be equally compatible with Pre Synergy, and does one have better features? Thanks!!!
    I like Google better and it seems to have better support on the Pre. Yahoo has more limitations on their email. Specifically, no free push email support. I use Google for email, contacts, and calendar and do most of my im'ing on Yahoo.
    the biggest difference is that yahoo is essentially only one way (Yahoo --> Pre), while google goes both ways (you can add/change contacts on Pre and it will update google). This has to do with limitations with Yahoo's APIs (not the phone), which is disappointing since I am a yahoo only user.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Yahoo has more limitations on their email. Specifically, no free push email support..
    not true... Yahoo does have with IMAP push that is free when you set up your yahoo email on webOS
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I'm not a Google fan at all but the experience I've had with Yahoo's mail isn't the greatest - do a search for "Yahoo" and "login credentials" and you'll see what I mean. I would use Gmail as it seems to have less issues than Yahoo. As already pointed out Gmail has better synergy capabilities also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    not true... Yahoo does have with IMAP push that is free when you set up your yahoo email on webOS
    Cool, I guess I missed that. Do you have access to all of the mail folders too?
    Google.
    Google Google Google Google!!! Yahoo, just..... well.... sucks by comparison.

Contact sync is only one way for Yahoo as stated earlier. You can't edit on the pre, just on the PC. That is dumb. It is 2 way sync for Google contacts.

Yahoo email doesn't work as well either..... its doesn't seem to "push" as reliably as gmail.

Yahoo IM won't stay signed in if you sign in on the PC, but google talk will stay signed in on the pre even if you sign in on your PC. You can switch between the two effortlessly, which is what I do coming and going from my office. Its VERY nice.

So, just go with google and don't look back. I use both, but the mostly google. I could get rid of yahoo and not really miss anything.
    Interesting I was not aware of that either. This must be a well kept secret as one of the reasons I signed with Gmail was because Yahoo wants $ for the non-web access. Not that I begrudge them that, but why pay for it if I can get it free somewhere else?
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    as already stated...both work. I find that outlook exported well to google, but I purchased companionsync (automatically syncs google to outlook). So, it's actually kinda cool - I can change something in outlook, google, or on my pre - and they all stay sync'd!
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for all the suggetions, it looks like I'll be using Google. I'm not sure I'll have a need for Companionlink--it seems easy enough to manually sync Google and Outlook calendars. Maybe Contact info is a little more difficult (have to export/import maybe rather than syncing), but I really have just used Outlook in the past as a backup location for my Treo info.
    If you are syncing Outlook, Google and the pre, you don't need to buy anything else for Calendar syncing. Download Google Calendar sync. It will sync Outlook to Google on a scheduled basis. The sync from Google is automagic as well.

Yes contacts are a bit harder. I ended up exporting mine to a csv file and importing them into Google because I was having problems getting my Palm Desktop upgraded to 6.2.2 which is required to use the automated process to transfer contacts to the WebOS system.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    Interesting I was not aware of that either. This must be a well kept secret as one of the reasons I signed with Gmail was because Yahoo wants $ for the non-web access. Not that I begrudge them that, but why pay for it if I can get it free somewhere else?
    I, like Starbuckk, switched to Gmail because Yahoo wanted me to pay for IMAP service. I am not sure what Audemars02 is talking about as the Palm customer service rep told me the only way to sync with Yahoo was to upgrade from the free version. He suggested switching to google if I wanted free service. He said Yahoo and MSN were not cooperating with Palm and did not want their free service to sync. Yahoo messenger has been a hassle too.

I switched to google for very thing and it works just as Palm intended, so I am very happy with it....Yahoo's lose!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    GOOGLE!! Much more easier to do EVERYTHING. And if you dont like it you can export your info via .csv file.