Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My head is spinning from all the different options, possibilities and limitations regarding syncing. So let me try outlining my needs.

Before Pre, I did most of my time management using Agendus for Palm Desktop, and a program called SwitchSync which synchronized Outlook and Palm (but had it limited to a one way feed) to get calendar entries, generated by Outlook meeting requests, into Palm, therefore into Agendus since it is in effect an extension of Palm Desktop. Switchsync only works when a hotsync is run.

Right now, post pre, I have Outlook syncing to Google Calendar which eventually makes its way to the Pre, along with my contacts, but no tasks or notes and its not in Palm Desktop.

My goals are:

1. Bring tasks and notes into the picture, kept both on the Pre and in Agendus/Palm Desktop.
    2. Keep personal information out of Outlook.
    3. Have all information still available, preferably in Agendus on the desktop. If it gets into the Palm Database, I believe it will also be in Agendus and v-v.
    4. I don't particularly care whether this goes through the cloud, wi-fi or USB.
    5. I want it to be fairly easy/transparent.

What I am now missing:

1. The end of hotsyncing means Switchsync is gone. Calendar and contact info is getting to the Pre via one way Google sync but no longer to Agendus/Palm.
    2. I was able to extract notes into the Classic Notes application but they are no longer synced to Agendus/Palm.
    3. No current solution for tasks.

So my questions are:

1. Which of the myriad of syncing solutions will meet all of the above needs.
    2. PocketMirror and CompanionLink have higher priced "pro" versions. Do I have to get the pro version to meet my needs?

In talking this out it almost sounds like the only missing connection might be the Outlook to Palm one way sync. I'm getting that either CompanionLink or PocketMirror either one would fill the PalmDesktop to Pre need. So will one of these products handle both needs?
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
  2.    #2  
    So I'm trying evaluations of the products to see what works. Started with CompanionLink. Here is the progress:

1. Memos and Todo's sync fine.
    2. Calendar does not sync. I had numerous entries in the Pre (they got there through Google). None loaded to the Palm Desktop. Made a new entry in Palm Desktop. It did not load to the Pre.
    3. Contacts from Palm Pre had been previously synced into Google and loaded from there. Made a change in Palm desktop to one record. It did not carry through to the Pre.

Settings:
    Synchronize both ways
    Synchronize personal category
    No purge or reload
    1st try: Records deleted in both Palm Pre and Palm Desktop will be synchronized
    2nd try: Palm Pre is the primary..
    All applications set to synchronize.

No idea what else to try here so will move on to try Echo and see how it works unless someone here recognizes the problem.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Echo syncs with Palm Desktop and Pocket Mirror syncs with Outlook. I use Pocket Mirror for work PIM (we can't use Exchange where I work otherwise I would) and my personal calendar and contacts I have a standalone Outlook that I sync through Google and Soocial. I think Companionlink only syncs with Outlook but I'm not positive about that, never used it. Maybe that will help.
  4.    #4  
    Progress Report: Tried Echo. Seems to work a little better although I'm a bit concerned about the Wi-Fi method. When I'm at work my laptop is plugged in to a hardwired network and there's no wifi to plug the Pre into. Maybe that can be worked around with peer to peer...but not the biggest concern at the moment.

Echo did a little better at syncing. The calendar synced down to the Pre...but not back up. The aforementioned calendar entries that got to the Pre from Google didn't go up to Palm Desktop.
    Some contacts were doubled on the Pre but that I'm not surprised about since I have them all on Google AND Palm Desktop. They can be removed from Google if I can get a working sync program.
    Tasks synced, but all my past tasks that were marked completed got flagged incomplete on both sides (!).

Bottom line is unless I'm doing something wrong (which I don't doubt is possible) neither CompanionLink nor Echo will work for me. I'm hoping someone will see this thread and say that I AM indeed doing something wrong with one of these tools and how to fix it. Any takers?
    ---
    HP Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    My head is spinning from all the different options, possibilities and limitations regarding syncing. So let me try outlining my needs.

Before Pre, I did most of my time management using Agendus for Palm Desktop, and a program called SwitchSync which synchronized Outlook and Palm (but had it limited to a one way feed) to get calendar entries, generated by Outlook meeting requests, into Palm, therefore into Agendus since it is in effect an extension of Palm Desktop. Switchsync only works when a hotsync is run.

Right now, post pre, I have Outlook syncing to Google Calendar which eventually makes its way to the Pre, along with my contacts, but no tasks or notes and its not in Palm Desktop.

My goals are:

1. Bring tasks and notes into the picture, kept both on the Pre and in Agendus/Palm Desktop.
    2. Keep personal information out of Outlook.
    3. Have all information still available, preferably in Agendus on the desktop. If it gets into the Palm Database, I believe it will also be in Agendus and v-v.
    4. I don't particularly care whether this goes through the cloud, wi-fi or USB.
    5. I want it to be fairly easy/transparent.

What I am now missing:

1. The end of hotsyncing means Switchsync is gone. Calendar and contact info is getting to the Pre via one way Google sync but no longer to Agendus/Palm.
    2. I was able to extract notes into the Classic Notes application but they are no longer synced to Agendus/Palm.
    3. No current solution for tasks.

So my questions are:

1. Which of the myriad of syncing solutions will meet all of the above needs.
    2. PocketMirror and CompanionLink have higher priced "pro" versions. Do I have to get the pro version to meet my needs?

In talking this out it almost sounds like the only missing connection might be the Outlook to Palm one way sync. I'm getting that either CompanionLink or PocketMirror either one would fill the PalmDesktop to Pre need. So will one of these products handle both needs?
    I am wondering how you synced Outlook contacts with Google? What tool do you use?

I am tempted to try CL since it doesn't require wifi. Everything is done thr the cloud, however, I am not sure how well the task sync works.
    I've used pocket mirror with Outlook for some time now and have no complaints at all. It works like a charm. Syncs calendar, contacts, notes and tasks etc with ease and it is very quick.
    For thousands of potential customers the deal killer for the webOS Pre was the prospect of losing PalmOS notes attached to contacts, PalmOS notes attached to calendar entries, PalmOS notes attached to "ToDo's" or "Tasks," etc.
    Have CompanionLink, Echo, PocketMirror, Google, or Exchange ever come up with a solution?
    Anyone?
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    I am wondering how you synced Outlook contacts with Google? What tool do you use?

I am tempted to try CL since it doesn't require wifi. Everything is done thr the cloud, however, I am not sure how well the task sync works.
    I sync my Outlook contacts with Soocial and then I sync those with Google. It's in beta, but it works pretty well.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post

I did not state it clearly. I sync Outlook Calendar entries one way with Google. Getting my contacts over was a bit of a hassle. I was having problems with the data extraction program for Palm so I ended up exporting contacts to a csv file, doing some editing and importing them into Google.

Regarding CL, if you use the USB version it syncs directly to between the Pre and the desktop and handles tasks and memos. I don't believe the wireless version does the latter two. But the problem I'm having with it right now is it won't pick up the calendar entries from the Pre that were synced in from Google and upload them to Palm Desktop.
    ---
    HP Touchpad!
  10.    #10  
    With a bit more digging I think I'm starting to understand what is happening. The Pre software knows were each contact and calendar entry comes from. When syncing from Google, of course it tags the entry as coming from Google. When CL does a sync, it flags its entries as being from a CL sync. And the CL sync either cannot or DOES not see the calendar entries that came from Google. This normally makes sense, but in this case I want it to, because I want my calendar entries that came from Google into the Pre to be synced back up onto the Palm Desktop. THAT is the missing link.
    ---
    HP Touchpad!
  11.    #11  
    I think I have the answer...not the ideal one though. I'm afraid I will need two products: CompanionLink and Desktop Mirror. A rather expensive approach...but I can't see another way at this point. I need to get stuff merged into Palm Desktop just like I was before, prior to syncing down to the handheld. Why? Because on my desktop I want personal AND business appointments merged together in PD/Agendus. But I want Outlook isolated to only have Business related stuff.
    39.95 for CompanionLinkUSB....26.95 for Desktop Mirror....ugh. Still crossing my fingers for a way around needing Desktop Mirror..
    ---
    HP Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I sync my Outlook contacts with Soocial and then I sync those with Google. It's in beta, but it works pretty well.
    Thanks a lot. I will give soocial a try.

I want to sync Contacts and Tasks over to Outlook. I will monitor this thread to see what the ideal solution is. So far, I think CL is the best solution because it syncs wireless thru the cloud. But I haven't tried it so I don't know for sure it works out well or not.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Starbukk you are right that webOS insures that accounts are separate. CompanionLink USB goes to it's own account, and can't touch any data from a Google Account.

In general, it's not a best practice to use a handheld as a "master database" to synchronize to two different PC programs. From what you say, you should probably look into CompanionLink for Google. This will let you synchronize from Palm Desktop and/or Outlook to a Google Account which synchronizes to your Pre. By using Google as a master database, your meeting invites will move from Outlook to Google to Palm Desktop as you did before. Also your Pre will show all the information in one Account.

CompanionLink Professional would let you permanently set up two profiles; one from Palm Desktop and one from Outlook. Alternately, it will let you simply synchronize Outlook to Palm Desktop which will transfer your meeting profiles. The lower priced CompanionLink products are limited to one sync setup at a time.

For more information on CompanionLink go here:

CompanionLink for webOS - Two options for sync to Outlook, Lotus Notes, ACT! and Palm Desktop

I definitely see people spend a lot of time saying CompanionLink is too expensive. But it's priced this way because we offer free telephone technical support. That means we have a US based staff, and they need to feed their families. I takes product sales, and a lot of time and effort to staff our call center. But clearly all the issues on this thread could easily be solved simply by calling CompanionLink and asking. It's a service we provide as a part of the package. Another service we offer is free CompanionLink updates to both phone and PC for when you buy a new Phone or a new PC. This is worth a lot. You've used Palm Desktop for years; just think about how many phones and PC's it's lasted through. There is a big difference between buying software new for every phone and every PC or transferring the license. Something to think about.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
  14.    #14  
    Thanks for the reply. No issue with the price, just need the ideal solution.

I looked at CL for Google but ruled it out because the Google approach limits the memo and task options. CL for USB addresses this best but there is stiill the hole of getting Outlook Calendar info into Palm desktop. In actuality I want Palm Desktop to be the 'master' and gget a full sync from it to the pre.
    Right now the only solution I see is the combination of CL for USB and Desktop Mirror.
    EDIT: Seems like the real problem is lack of a good cloud solution to memos and tasks. The beauty of the cloud is it can be totally hands off. But the memo and task problem needs full resolution in order to come over totally to the 'cloud side'.
    Last edited by Starbuckk; 02/08/2010 at 12:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Starbuckk, Agreed fwiw it would be better if Google handled Tasks and Memos, and that they went to the Pre automatically.

For tasks you can vote. Here's the vote for Tasks API. Just click on the "Star" to add your vote. Click on "Back to List" to see this has more votes than all but one other issue.

Issue 987 - gdata-issues - Request API for Tasks (in the Google Mail Interface) - Project Hosting on Google Code

For Notes development, here is the last Blog from Google on that subject. Maybe the comments will find a way to give them a message:

Official Google Notebook Blog: Stopping development on Google Notebook
    Clcto

I've been following this thread and others, and I think CL USB for Outlook is what I'm going to go with. What I want to do is sync my Pre with my work computer, and if possible, my home computer. I have to either do it via USB or Bluetooth, as my company has some very strict policies about personal phones on the hospital network via WiFi. Are there any issues with syncing with two computers? Any other pitfalls that I should be aware of? Any particular type of USB cable?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    Starbukk you are right that webOS insures that accounts are separate. CompanionLink USB goes to it's own account, and can't touch any data from a Google Account.

In general, it's not a best practice to use a handheld as a "master database" to synchronize to two different PC programs. From what you say, you should probably look into CompanionLink for Google. This will let you synchronize from Palm Desktop and/or Outlook to a Google Account which synchronizes to your Pre. By using Google as a master database, your meeting invites will move from Outlook to Google to Palm Desktop as you did before. Also your Pre will show all the information in one Account.

CompanionLink Professional would let you permanently set up two profiles; one from Palm Desktop and one from Outlook. Alternately, it will let you simply synchronize Outlook to Palm Desktop which will transfer your meeting profiles. The lower priced CompanionLink products are limited to one sync setup at a time.

For more information on CompanionLink go here:

CompanionLink for webOS - Two options for sync to Outlook, Lotus Notes, ACT! and Palm Desktop

I definitely see people spend a lot of time saying CompanionLink is too expensive. But it's priced this way because we offer free telephone technical support. That means we have a US based staff, and they need to feed their families. I takes product sales, and a lot of time and effort to staff our call center. But clearly all the issues on this thread could easily be solved simply by calling CompanionLink and asking. It's a service we provide as a part of the package. Another service we offer is free CompanionLink updates to both phone and PC for when you buy a new Phone or a new PC. This is worth a lot. You've used Palm Desktop for years; just think about how many phones and PC's it's lasted through. There is a big difference between buying software new for every phone and every PC or transferring the license. Something to think about.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    What I want to do is sync my Pre with my work computer, and if possible, my home computer. I have to either do it via USB or Bluetooth, as my company has some very strict policies about personal phones on the hospital network via WiFi. Are there any issues with syncing with two computers? Any other pitfalls that I should be aware of? Any particular type of USB cable?
    Sync at Work and Home is very common. CompanionLink will work fine. CompanionLink licenses per person, not per computer, so you can use it on two computers. When you first set up you'll buy it for one computer, and then come back to our website to "request a keycode" for the second.

Fortunately Palm uses a standard Micro-USB cable which handles both charging and also PC data connections. You can use the one that came with the Pre/Pixi, or just any one you have hanging around.

I hope this information helps.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Wayne,

so far it looks like exactly what I need. I just downloaded the trial, installed and synced on my office computer. Will give it a go on my home computer tonight, and see how it works for a few days before taking the plunge. But so far, so good.

Sync at Work and Home is very common. CompanionLink will work fine. CompanionLink licenses per person, not per computer, so you can use it on two computers. When you first set up you'll buy it for one computer, and then come back to our website to "request a keycode" for the second.

Fortunately Palm uses a standard Micro-USB cable which handles both charging and also PC data connections. You can use the one that came with the Pre/Pixi, or just any one you have hanging around.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    CLCTO- Sounds good but does it completely sync all the notes I have added to my current records like one of the previous posters asked? Notes I've added to contacts, calendar, and so on?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PREconceived View Post
    CLCTO- Sounds good but does it completely sync all the notes I have added to my current records like one of the previous posters asked? Notes I've added to contacts, calendar, and so on?
    Of course. Those are usually called Contact Notes, Calendar Notes or Task Notes. When people speak of "Notes" that is what Outlook calls MemoPad. In any case, all Notes fields are synchronized two ways by all CompanionLink products.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast