Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by 755PtoPreplus View Post
    Just got a Pre Plus to replace my 755P. I would like to continue syching my Preplus to the Desktop v4.2 because v6.2 does not support color coded calendar events. I understand that Chapura echo only supports v6.2. Does any other sych software support v4.2?
    My goals are as follows:
    1. Replace my 755P with Palm Pre Plus.

2. Continue to synch the Palm Pre Plus with my Palm Desktop 4.2. and keep the Palm Desktop 4.2 working exactly as it currently does. (Contacts, Calendar, Memos, Tasks, and Media fully syched with the Pre Plus)

Requirements:
    1. I do not want any of my data (Contacts, Calendar, Memos, Tasks, and Media) in the cloud. (I am not adopting the cloud technology at this time for various reasons.)

2. I would like to keep Palm Desktop 4.2. Ive been using it for years and would like to continue. One reason is that Palm Desktop 6.2 does not support color coding for Calendar. I require color coding for Calendar. Not sure what else is missing from 6.2.

Question:
    What is the best 3rd party solution for my specific scenario? And why.
    - On the Palm Website they list several options: http://www.palm.com/us/products/software/sync.html
    - It looks like Chapura Echo and CL are the only ones that support Palm Desktop.
    - Chapura Echo is out because they only support Palm Desktop 6.2.
    - I do not see "classic" as an option on the Palm website. http://www.motionapps.com/classic/hotsync/ It seems like Classic would be perfect. Do you agree? Why or why not.

What is left? Am I missing something that would synch Palm Pre Plus directly to Palm Desktop 4.2?

I appreciate any feedback anyone can provide. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by 755PtoPreplus; 05/19/2010 at 08:41 AM.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Why not upgrade to PD 6.2? I think CL also requires 6.2.
    CL USB and Chapura ECHO do not use the cloud.
    I don't think Classic will be around for the long term. It may be useful as a transitional product, but you should be aware that support is only available via e-mail. I had problems with my new AT&T Pre+ and went past the trial period so was unable to complete my eval of Classic. But it did crash on me.
    CL phone support was great! They helped me get it set up and syncing properly. But, I'm using CL-Google to sync DT 6.2 to Google.
    Thanks so much. I do not want to upgrade to 6.2 because I use the color coded calendar. My understanding is that 6.2 does not support a color coded calendar. Palm has confirmed this but cannot give me a reason why they no longer support a color coded calendar. Any thoughts on that?

BTW Classic email support has been difficult. They are in "Europe" so the time difference is a problem too. I finally sent them a note at 6:00 AM and gave them my phone number and asked them to call me. I immediately got a callback and we will talk again tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by philesk View Post
    Why not upgrade to PD 6.2? I think CL also requires 6.2.
    CL USB and Chapura ECHO do not use the cloud.
    I don't think Classic will be around for the long term. It may be useful as a transitional product, but you should be aware that support is only available via e-mail. I had problems with my new AT&T Pre+ and went past the trial period so was unable to complete my eval of Classic. But it did crash on me.
    CL phone support was great! They helped me get it set up and syncing properly. But, I'm using CL-Google to sync DT 6.2 to Google.
    If you don't think that Classic will be around long term you are nuts as there are some apps (think Pocket Quicken) that people are not going to be giving up any time soon.
  5.    #45  
    Simply put, why upgrade? The things you list are most all of the advantages of the Pre. The Palm Classic application is a band-aid. It is well done but frankly a bit of a nuisance because you have to start it up and then go to the app you want so its not something you want to rely on for PIM and other repeated daily use apps.
    The Pre, and other smartphones in this class are leaving behind the old world of manual synchronization for a world where things are more automated.

Regarding synching, as far as I know all sync options require Palm 6.2.2. The file formats apparently changed considerably so none of them wanted to bother with the old formats. I had to upgrade just to get the DTA to work.

Bottom line is I do not believe your requirements can be met.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    Bottom line is I do not believe your requirements can be met.
    Actually they can be met quite easily with CompanionLink. CL does NOT require PD 6.2. I have been using it successfully for months with PD 4.1.4. I get all the benefit of WebOS's interface, multitasking, webbrowsing, notifications, etc. AND I still get to use PalmDesktop and synchronize my data between my laptop and my Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    The Pre, and other smartphones in this class are leaving behind the old world of manual synchronization for a world where things are more automated.
    I wish people would quit framing the discussion as "old vs. new" as if, if you want desktop sync you are a cave man and if you sync to the cloud you are on the cutting edge of technology. Frankly framing the issue this way is at best unhelpful and at worst simply inaccurate.

Its really not "old vs. new" its two different philosophies that each have their Pro's and Con's.

For example you said "The Pre... is leaving behind the old world... for a world where things are more automated".

Tell me, how are my Tasks and Memos "automatically" synchronized to a cloud solution so that i can edit them on my Desktop?

Oh, that's right, there is NO built in cloud sync solution for Tasks and Memos. This is simply not an old vs. new situation and its wrong to tell people that they need to "get with the new cloud philosophy" when this philosophy leaves out an entire sector of functionality that many people need.

Many people need to enter data on their Desktop, often do not have access to wifi, and in addition to syncing Contacts and Calendar they need to sync Tasks and Memos also.

just my 2 cents,
    Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by 755PtoPreplus View Post
    Thanks so much. I do not want to upgrade to 6.2 because I use the color coded calendar. My understanding is that 6.2 does not support a color coded calendar. Palm has confirmed this but cannot give me a reason why they no longer support a color coded calendar. Any thoughts on that?

BTW Classic email support has been difficult. They are in "Europe" so the time difference is a problem too. I finally sent them a note at 6:00 AM and gave them my phone number and asked them to call me. I immediately got a callback and we will talk again tomorrow.
    I don't suggest that you move to Desktop 6.2 - You'd probably have to pay for it, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work with your Treo if you ever needed to use it.

6.2 was pretty much a steaming pile built by Access (or Palm One, or whatever) to make the Treo work after Palm sold off those assets. It wasn't very popular, and many of us used that opportunity to move to Outlook.

CompanionLink is a good choice because it supports both generations of Desktop AND Outlook. I use Pocket Mirror, and it only does Outlook. If I had continued with Desktop, CL would have been the easy choice.

BTW, have you pulled the trigger on a Pre and a sync solution? Here is something that might help you plan for using either one to keep syncing to your desktop.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...-their-pc.html

I hope it helps.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/04/2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Typo
    I still use Palm Desktop (6.2.2), and it looks like Classic will be rendered useless with WebOS 2.0 so I'm looking for another way to sync my Palm Desktop data with my phone (contacts, calendar mainly). I never wanted to transfer my contacts before to my phone because I wanted the contacts categorized. Now I have to look for an alternative to Classic which has been meeting my needs so far. I've read about Chapura Echo as one option, is it a good one for my situation? How can I then categorize my contacts in my phone? I liked keeping patient info separate from personal contacts. Thanks!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123