Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Does that mean in a CL USB sync all of palmOS's disparate notes would get aggregated into outlook's "memopad," or would they remain properly associated with their source and fully display their contents when the notes icon within tasks/contacts/calendar is pressed?
  2.    #22  
    Well for now I personally have decided to go back to my original philosophy and totally work with new technology. This means "embracing" the cloud concept and sadly dropping the Agendus/Palm Desktop solution. It also means no Palm Classic. It seems that most all approaches that sync with that scenario depend on the hotsync which is gone now. If they could sync directly into the PD databases, it might help. But they can't. Well Desktop Mirror did..but it is a painfully manual process. Not seemingly intended for smooth automation.

So that being said:

1. Switched my email to EAS so that I can sync directly with outlook. Outlook tasks and calendar entries seamlessly sync to the Pre.

2. For personal calendars and all contacts its Google all the way.

3. Personal tasks..no solution yet. Still looking. One suggestion I've seen elsewhere in the forum of using a special Gmail folder called "tasks" has merit...but see the "dilemma" below.

4. Memos. Evernote is looking good. I've looked at this as a solution before and rejected it. But it has potential now that it has a WebOS component. Perhaps another variation of the above Tasks suggestion by using a Gmail folder called "Memos".

Dilemma: I want to be able to view work and personal tasks and calendar entries together...but not have the personal ones on the work servers.

Yes..I'm "thinking out loud" here . Kinda what discussion groups are for sometimes!

Bottom line is that there is a painful inability to have seamless views of work and persnal task and calendar information on the desktop side.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PREconceived View Post
    Does that mean in a CL USB sync all of palmOS's disparate notes would get aggregated into outlook's "memopad," or would they remain properly associated with their source and fully display their contents when the notes icon within tasks/contacts/calendar is pressed?
    Do you mean Palm OS or webOS here?

CL USB Sync handles notes like old Palm devices. They are kept separate, on a sorted list. We made a Memo App to do this. It handles Categories just like old Palm OS did. It synchronizes to Palm Desktop and Outlook just like old Palm OS did.

Give it a try. It's free for 14 days to try it all out. Start by downloading CL USB Sync from the Palm App Catalog.

I hope this information helps.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
    Head spinning here with no one to help me!
    I have been a Palm user since day one they gave a free palm to all us teachers way back when.
    So I have always used the calendar and address book. Just traded my treo for the new Palm Pre Plus with Verizon. Of course, the person at the Verizon dealer here in Hawaii did not tell me that my new Palm would only sync once to my computer.
    Now I need to know what to do next.... I do not have Wi Fi in my house - CAT5 wired home. I have broadband for my computer.
    I would like to continue to use my data from Access 6.2.2 calendar and address book and sync data back and forth.
    I have been reading Echo/ Companion Link comments and am still confused!

Can someone help me?

First time user on this site!
    I would assume I am Palm OS I do not have anything that is web based.
    I do not have Outlook on my computer.
    What is CL / USB stand for?
    I am scared that all my data will be double since I have transfered all my data on my new Palm with the DTA.
    Will this software recognize this each time I sync?
    Sorry, I am a newbie with this device!
    Thanks...
    Another solution for notes is ClassicNote (on Homebrew). It allows you to import your old notes with the categories preserved. Unfortunately no way to sync with anything. I am trying to talk the developer into providing a .csv output. But in general I am convinced that the only stable and safe platform that will last for years is Microsoft. Office files are safe. Outlook - maybe too. Anything by Palm is likely to go away on a whim of Palm or if they go out of business. I am faced with this situation now after 11 years of contacts and memos.
    I've been testing out CL. The main reason I like it is that it syncs subfolders. The old PocketMirror Pro did that, but it doesn't look like the new one does. Also, CL moves my Outlook stuff to the "cloud" of the web, which seems to be the future. Kind of a pain that the notes and tasks aren't too good, but maybe there will be a good solution in the future.
    Hi

I compare the three programs.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...-software.html

I think companionlink is better.
    Average sync time for me using Outlook and PocketMirror = 30 seconds, one click and it's all done at both ends.

My trial with CL-USB seemed to take ages and involved having to sync at both ends separately.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    i paid for pocket mirror, and it deletes contacts on my computer and on the pre... why cant anyone make a good sync like i had for my blackberry, it worked every time
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    DeviousRacing, have you tried CompanionLink?

It's very fast. And it doesn't delete contacts on your computer.
    Try ECHO from Chapura. It syncs with Palm Desktop. That's a great way to keep stuff out of Outlook. I actually did the opposite, so I went with PocketMirror (from the same company).

My company doesn't allow me to connect my Pre to our Exchange server, and I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT put my valuable contacts into Google anything or Yahoo anything. Far too sensitive and important (and confidential) for that. So, I synch with my local Outlook client (personal and business are separated with categories) and then my PC keeps Outlook in sync.

I also think they make an advanced app that lets you sync Outlook folders so you can create even more separation for personal and business stuff.

The Chapura tasks and memo apps are good enough until something better comes along...

There is also an app in Preware called "Agenda" that creates a nice agenda view that I like. It lets you launch calendar and such from within it... Pressy nice.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 03/16/2010 at 05:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    DeviousRacing, have you tried CompanionLink?

It's very fast. And it doesn't delete contacts on your computer.
    I used companionlink before I switched to pocket mirror. Frankly, I really liked CompanionLink but it stopped picking up new appointments after a few days, and I tried to work with their support to fix it. When I couldn't wait any longer to solve it, I switched to PocketMirror.

One of the reasons I liked Companionlink is that I could sync over USB. I travel a lot and I can't always get both devices on the same WiFi network to sync. That's especially problematic in hotels with walled gardens...

If you have regular access to wifi, PocketMirror (or Echo) are great. If you like the dependability of a usb cable... companionlink should be great!
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 03/16/2010 at 05:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by deviousracing View Post
    i paid for pocket mirror, and it deletes contacts on my computer and on the pre... why cant anyone make a good sync like i had for my blackberry, it worked every time
    Check your settings. There is a setting that determines whether the phone overwrites the desktop, the desktop overwrites the phone, or if they "sync".

there are valid use-cases for each of those (like the time I duplicated over 3,000 contacts on my PC - solved it by having the phone over-write the desktop...)

Check your settings, and contact the vendor for support. Trust me when I say that any of the Palm sync solutions are better than anything from Blackberry.

Remember, calendar and contact sync is what put Palm on the map more than 20 years ago. They are still better at doing that than ANY other smart phone I've tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
    I would assume I am Palm OS I do not have anything that is web based.
    I do not have Outlook on my computer.
    What is CL / USB stand for?
    I am scared that all my data will be double since I have transfered all my data on my new Palm with the DTA.
    Will this software recognize this each time I sync?
    Sorry, I am a newbie with this device!
    Thanks...
    Not sure about your first comment. If you are using a Pre or Pixi, you have WebOS. If you came from an older Palm phone, that phone would have been running PalmOS and used Palm Desktop (a PC program that does calendar and contacts mgmt for PalmOS devices).

PalmOS is the old school (like MS-DOS) and WebOS is the new Palm platform (like Windows7 or Mac OSX).

CL=CompanionLink. They are a 3rd party app for syncing your phone to your PC the old fashioned way (for people like me that will never put all my contacts on Google, Yahoo, etc...)

USB = the cable you use to connect your phone to your PC or the car charger.

If you already transfered the contacts to your Pre, they must be syncing to Google or your Palm profile. The good news is that the Pre knows where each contact came from, so even of they are duplicated, it will consolidate them - that's the feature Palm calls Synergy. I know this because I duplicated my 3,000+ contacts by doing something stupid when I first got my Pre. It was easy to fix, so don't worry. Just make sure you have your contacts backed up somewhere so you can get your original database back.

The point of "sync" software is to prevent duplicates by recognizing changes made to each location. I change one thing on my phone and another on my PC, and it "synchronizes" those changes so that the information is the same in both places.

There are LOTS of people on this forum that will be happy to chime in to answer your questions. Kudos to you for searching for information instead of just complaining and returning it to the store.

For that, you have already graduated from Newbie to a smart user!
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 03/16/2010 at 05:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Average sync time for me using Outlook and PocketMirror = 30 seconds, one click and it's all done at both ends.

My trial with CL-USB seemed to take ages and involved having to sync at both ends separately.
    That's odd. I found them to be about the same speed once the first sync was completed. The initial sync was WAY slower with PocketMirror - I assumed it was because it was over WiFi and USB 2 is a faster connection.

But, as I recall the sync was initiated from the PC, not the phone. The part that was a pain is that the phone had to be put in "usb mode" while syncing, which means it couldn't take calls. I missed a few important calls until I realized that and decided to only sync after hours.

With PocketMirror, that isn't a problem. However, I can't always get to a WiFi connection that both my PC and Palm Pre can connect to properly (often a problem at hotels). I've started messing with a bluetooth connection to get around this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post

I hope this information helps.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
    I have been looking at the various syncing options. The fact that a CL rep is here answering question moved CL to the front of the line in my considerations. I don't know if it will be the right answer for me or not, but I will definitely look at it when I get that far.
    Just got a Pre Plus to replace my 755P. I would like to continue syching my preplus to the Desktop v4.2 because v6.2 does not support color coded calendar events. I understand that Chapura echo only supports v6.2. Does any other sych software support v4.2?
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I have similar issues with syncing Outlook data. The constraints are that my corporate IT doesn't allow me to connect at all, but I have a work Blackberry. Here's my solution.

(1) Outlook at work syncs automatically to the Blackberry.
    (2) When I come home, I turn off wireless syncing, and sync it to the desktop. Thus, all my work Outlook info is on the home Outlook. The trick is remembering to turn the wireless sync back on!!
    (3) Then, I use PocketMirror to sync the Palm to Outlook.

This is admittedly a pain, but I'm mostly interested in keeping the tasks, contacts, and memos up to date on the home computer to make sure I have a backup. Believe me, I was SO glad I had this when our work exchange server had repeated problems over a 2 month period and I lost everything several times--except I had a current backup on the Palm!!

To the original poster, have you considered marking your personal appointments as Private in Outlook and then filtering those so they don't show on the work computer?

Isn't it amazing the stuff we do to try to deal with technology constraints?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitxitxita View Post
    I have been looking at the various syncing options. The fact that a CL rep is here answering question moved CL to the front of the line in my considerations. I don't know if it will be the right answer for me or not, but I will definitely look at it when I get that far.
    rep? Rep? He's the freaking CTO. And he knows his stuff.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast