1.    #1  
    I've tried a lot of phones and a lot of features on smartphones. While the Pre/Pixi might fall short in a number of ways, the synergy idea is amazing! I just added an MS Exchange Email account and then went into contacts and told it I wanted to also use that account and in 7 seconds, it synched them up and properly matched my exchange email addresses to existing contacts! Very impressive.
    yea i love synergy as well ... sometimes there are still issues with dupes but never reeally had to manually link 400 contacts lol
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I've tried a lot of phones and a lot of features on smartphones. While the Pre/Pixi might fall short in a number of ways, the synergy idea is amazing! I just added an MS Exchange Email account and then went into contacts and told it I wanted to also use that account and in 7 seconds, it synched them up and properly matched my exchange email addresses to existing contacts! Very impressive.
    I find that 90% of the excellent things about the Pre are not flashy and don't get enough attention. Synergy is amazing. Multitasking is amazing. App cross talk is amazing. Camera is amazing. But those things are hard to advertise and make it stand out. I think that is why I like the new VZW commercials, because the show that it integrates calendars and does many things at the same time and keeps up with your busy daily life.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I find that 90% of the excellent things about the Pre are not flashy and don't get enough attention. Synergy is amazing. Multitasking is amazing. App cross talk is amazing. Camera is amazing. But those things are hard to advertise and make it stand out. I think that is why I like the new VZW commercials, because the show that it integrates calendars and does many things at the same time and keeps up with your busy daily life.
    Don't forget the gestures.
    true, another thing that doesn't look that impressive until you start to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    yea i love synergy as well ... sometimes there are still issues with dupes but never reeally had to manually link 400 contacts lol
    Thats funny, I was just thinking the opposite. This is the first mobile OS I have used that I did not have issues with duplicates from syncing.

If your talking about having the same contact in more than one account then thats not really a duplicate or hardly something that Palm can control.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    One of the best things about the Pre.
  8.    #8  
    Yeah, the calendar stuff is really cool too.

I agree with "Complex Pants" - I've shown the phone to iPhone users who are already trashing it before they've ever used one but then after 5 minutes of me showing them some cool stuff the Pre can do (that the iPhone can't) they all start gushing over the phone! I even had one guy say he was going to get one.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Wait until you start to a meeting notification with the option to send a "running late" email to all attendees with a single button click. I was blown away the first time I saw that. That is wicked cool and easy to appreciate, but I'm not sure how Palm would effectively market something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    App cross talk is amazing.
    What is app cross talk? Can you give an example?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Don't forget the gestures.
    Personally, I hate gestures. Especially the back and menu gestures. I think they're too imprecise when compared to a dedicated button to execute them. Sure the gesture area is in a convenient spot relative to where most iPhone apps put the back button. But I find that I execute the gestures at somewhat less than 100% accuracy - maybe 95%? But a 5% error rate is incredibly irritating compared to just pressing the back button on android phones. Then there's that stupid menu swipe. I'd be overly generous if I said that I get it correct 80% of the time.

There's a lot I like about WebOS. And I don't have an android phone and probably won't get one when I've got an upgrade. But these two gestures are IMHO among the more irritating things about WebOS. I think dedicated buttons are a ton more efficient for things that are repeated as frequently as "back" and "menu".

$0.02.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  11.    #11  
    Really? I love the gestures and have never had a problem with it interpreting my gestures.
    I love the gestures, one of my favorite features of webos. The only time I have a problem with the gesture bar is when I'm playing air hockey and I catch the bar with my thumb. I think the lack of buttons not only looks better than any android phone, but it makes moving between apps and through the ui much easier and more elegant. I have never noticed any problems with accuracy. I would even prefer it if I could replace the launcher button on the homescreen with another quick launch because I always use the up swipe to open the launcher (other than when I'm in an app and use the hidden quicklaunch bar) but on synergy, it synced all my contacts from google, facebook and most aim contacts, but the contacts I had transferred from my last phone seemed to have problems, I had to manually sync them. But that might have had something to do with how I stored them on my last phone (instinct/crap).
    By app cross talk I mean apps can talk to each other. For example, fandango can put movies into your calendar, media player can look stuff up on youtube and amazon mp3, etc.

I think gestures are elegant, akin to conducting an orchestra to make beautiful music without touching an instrument.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation