Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    NETWORKING THE KILLER APP? - When Facebook sells more handsets than Nokia

As the article above states, there is no doubt in my mind that Facebook is a social networking phenomenon that sells phones. I know many people that have purchased an iphone because of thier very addiction to Facebook.I see more and more examples of purchases of phones according to which social networks they work best with.

Lets get real here, the Palm WebOs Facebook app need major improvement compared to its rivals. I suggest Palm prioritze an update.
    Last edited by migs; 02/03/2010 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    NETWORKING THE KILLER APP? - When Facebook sells more handsets than Nokia

As the article above states, there is no doubt in my mind that Facebook is a social networking phenomenon that sells phones. I now many people that have purchased an iphone because of thier very addiction to Facebook.I see more and more examples of purchases of phones according to which social networks they work best with.

Lets get real here, the Palm WebOs Facebook app need major improvement compared to its rivals. I suggest Palm prioritze an update.
    It would also let them market themselves as a social networking phone. I mean multitasking twitter, facebook, messaging all while listening to pandora/slacker = epic. There is no app for that on the iPhone.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I don't know--the out of the box contact synchronization (with automatic profile picture updates), calendar sync, photo uploading, etc. are pretty damn strong already.

An improved Facebook application isn't a terrible idea, but WebOS is no slouch when it comes to Facebook integration as is.
    The Friendsbook app is really well done.
    I don't even use facebook, myspace, twitter, ect.. but he has a point people want more of a social networking phone first then everything else.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    The webos facebook is still a 1.0 app and it sure it feels like it. Not sure why all other apps get periodic updates but the facebook app gets none. It's been over six months and a core app should be updated often.
    The webos facebook is still a 1.0 app and it sure it feels like it. Not sure why all other apps get periodic updates but the facebook app gets none. It's been over six months and a core app should be updated often.
    I think I'd give it a 0.8 version number max. Yeah it works, but its functionality is very limited. When a Facebook app was finally released for WinMO, it had much more functionality than the WebOS app does.
    i feel that all of the FB apps on WebOS (and FB's x. site) are all pretty poor. it definitley has cut down on how much i use facebook. i prefer the regular site in the browser at this point.

i like the idea of positioning this as a social networking phone. the example earlier is pretty much how i use my phone, with some gaming and web browsing mixed in. i remember earlier on the Pre being described as perfect for the "hyper-connected" and i couln't agree more. i'll bet webos as is blows away that motorola Cliq, or whatever the social networking one they advertise is called.

webos is so slick. last night i was IMing with someone who was on an iPod touch, and telling them about how i was playing a giant robots game and listening to music, and then when i see a little notification at the bottom i just touch it and reply really quick. they were way impressed. they were like "woah! that's awesome! what kind of phone do you have??"
    Facebook app for your cellular phone? Whaaaaaaat! Please stop now with this FB obsession. I beg of you. It has gotten out of hand. Are we that obsessed with this trival nonsense?

I mean, do you really need to know what Julie said about your pic while you're at work working on a project? Do you need to know that Steve is eating a slice of pizza while you're supposed to be enjoying a great lunch or dinner at Capital Grill with your girl? While you're at the beach relaxing do you really need to know that Jenny is now off of her birth control pills b/c she is trying to get peggers with Ty's baby?

Who gives a cluck! I'm sorry for the rant. It's just that this is the last thing you would think people would be worried about. "I can't see new posts on FB so now I'm really p*ssed". Really????
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    over the weekend i got an email while i was out notifying me that a friend had sent me a private message on facebook.

the native app didnt allow me to respond to it.
    friendsbook didnt allow me to respond to it.
    the full site didnt allow me to respond to it.
    the mobile x.facebook.com site didnt allow me to respond to it.

finally, through lite.facebook.com, i was able to respond to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    enjoying a great lunch or dinner at Capital Grill with your girl?
    wee woo! im impressed! name droppin the sub par chain!
    lite.facebook has been down for me the last couple of days... facebook.com still blanks the comments... x.facebook sucks baaalls...

i wish facebook would just fix facebook.com for mobile browsers... i much rather use that than any app
    Facebook app for your cellular phone? Whaaaaaaat! Please stop now with this FB obsession. I beg of you. It has gotten out of hand. Are we that obsessed with this trival nonsense?

I mean, do you really need to know what Julie said about your pic while you're at work working on a project? Do you need to know that Steve is eating a slice of pizza while you're supposed to be enjoying a great lunch or dinner at Capital Grill with your girl? While you're at the beach relaxing do you really need to know that Jenny is now off of her birth control pills b/c she is trying to get peggers with Ty's baby?

Who gives a cluck! I'm sorry for the rant. It's just that this is the last thing you would think people would be worried about. "I can't see new posts on FB so now I'm really p*ssed". Really????

Some people like me use facebook to stay connected with family, taking pictures of my 5 month old son and posting it for family 4700 miles away right from my phone is very convenient. especially considering i dont have to individual select these people in picmail, and wake them up in the middle of night cause of the time difference, and its available for family who do not have picturemail. and thats just tthe tip of the iceberg only discussing pictures.

i do agree though because majority of facebook use it as you say. but not all. now twitter?? i really have no idea why its even popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post

now twitter?? i really have no idea why its even popular.
    cause the media told us it should be.

I dont do any personal Tweeting, but i do follow favorite bands for news updates and even sites like Sprint or Slickdeals for sales. with Slickdeals especially, if you don't jump on things as soon as possible, they likely sell out. theres no time to "wait til i get home."

one other nice thing about Facebook besides the picture things you mentioned, is when theyre used CORRECTLY (and not for menstrual cycle updates and Farmville) theyre very handy. i know this is a more morbid example, but when my dad was recently in a car accident, i was able to quickly notify everyone with a single post instead of sending a text or email with multiple recipients.

Believe it our not, some people have different interests than you do. I'm sure you do things that other people think are ridiculous and un-necessary. If it upsets you that much, you should stay out of threads about the Facebook app.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    cause the media told us it should be.

I dont do any personal Tweeting, but i do follow favorite bands for news updates and even sites like Sprint or Slickdeals for sales. with Slickdeals especially, if you don't jump on things as soon as possible, they likely sell out. theres no time to "wait til i get home."
    yeah i do follow developers for updates on upcoming apps and what not. It is useful for that, but other than that i do not follow regular people who just post to post. but u guess that can be said about any social network now
    I really don't have a problem the way your Facebook contacts are integrated into WebOS, but the way it was initially advertised, I was expecting a bit more than just a contact list. I was really surprised when Facebook chat wasn't integrated into the messaging app. I dunno, maybe they could have added an incremental update of a select group of friends status automatically.

Still, they could have done better with the profile photos. They're so tiny in the contact list/messaging app then distorted when they're stretched out in the phone app.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I agree, integrated chat and better notification display would be great. I would like to be able to view friends wall and pictures like friendsbook does it what heck add a search feature too.
    I agree, integrated chat and better notification display would be great. I would like to be able to view friends wall and pictures like friendsbook does it what heck add a search feature too.
    adding fbook chat to the msg client would be very nice.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    honest question....what kind of notifications are you guys looking for? all of mine get sent to email.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast