Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    lol...however you look at it, it's an immensely popular social phenomenon that needs to be acknowledged, whether you like it or not. You probably weren't aware that Facebook is the #2 most visited site on the internet right behind Google. This isn't just a passing fad PALM, get your head out of your **** so you can compete! Sometimes I have to think that Palm really doesn't have a clear, long-term marketing strategy. Guess what you over-educated brain surgeons at PALM, mothers use facebook too, can we please do something about this??? #2 website...on the entire internet...but we get NASCAR!!! Is anybody flying the plane??? Hello????
    So what? As long as the browser is great, you can access facebook. What's killing Palm is really, really easy to comprehend:

1) They took way too long to release the Pre and Pixi
    2) When they did, the hardware was mediocre both specs and build quality and the Pre Plus is better but hardly impressive
    3) Palm released the app development toolkit waaaaay too late
    4) When Palm got the phone to Verizon, the carrier really didn't care to publicize it as it's not an exclusive phone and it's way lower in priority to the Droid
    5) As a result of #3, there are barely 1,000 apps available, few of much use
    6) Apple is rumored to have out a new iPhone in Summer, Android has grown expontentially and Blackberry also has some new announcements in the next few months.

Given the above, are we really to expect that an improved Facebook app will all of a sudden make the Pre sell like crazy? I don't know anyone that walks into the store and says "Does it have a facebook app?" That's not a decision maker. If you have reasonable web access you use the mobile version. Palm has a lot to do long before prioritizing this.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    http://www.facebook.com/sitetour/homepage.php

Well someone must be listening! The main Facebook website just got revamped.

Its a more simplified design (looks better on my Pre!) with easier access on the home page.
    I just read that the following changes and improvements were made:

Not quite an new app but will suffice

New requests, messages, and notifications
    News Feed, Messages and other core features
    Games and your bookmarked applications
    Links to chat with your online friends
    Links to important account settings, logout, the Help Center and more
    Reminders for birthdays and events
    Facebook Chat
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    So what? As long as the browser is great, you can access facebook.
    Nonsense. Pages display incorrectly on the main site, or not at all, there is limited functionality on all three facebook mobile website options and you have to constantly pinch to zoom in/out all the time, all things said it's really just a huge pain in the rear to use, and unnecessarily so.

What's killing Palm is really, really easy to comprehend
    It's unfortunate but you're right. Palm has amassed a spirited number of issues to tackle ahead of a facebook app that many people may have assumed would be ready eight months after launch day. This issue is one in a violent sea of many but I think it's one indicator of sub-par management on the part of Palm, others being the points you outlined.
    MySpace Mobile, as well as the full MySpace site work wonderfully. Facebook doesn't...and it's annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    Nonsense. Pages display incorrectly on the main site, or not at all, there is limited functionality on all three facebook mobile website options and you have to constantly pinch to zoom in/out all the time, all things said it's really just a huge pain in the rear to use, and unnecessarily so.
    I didn't realize. Wow. I've been using my other phone for FB and it manages it reasonably well. I thought FB mobile site would be fine but perhaps it does suck. Yep... it's one of a list of issues. Let's hope Palm feels a real sense of urgency.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I actually like the simplicity of the Facebook app .
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    why not copy apples facebook app and just paste to all other mobile platforms?
    the touch.facebook.com site (where x.facebook.com redirects you to) is now allowing for reading and writing photo comments.... http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ebook-com.html
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    I agree.

Once I was able to get friendsbook to install, I started playing around with all the features that it offers and although it can do more than the standard Palm Facebook app, I like the way that Palm's app works a lot more. Using the standard photo gallery browser for looking at photos is one of the things that I really like about it.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    I like it too. Works for me. And I dig the way it integrates my friends into my contact list with dynamic pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Facebook app for your cellular phone? Whaaaaaaat! Please stop now with this FB obsession. I beg of you. It has gotten out of hand. Are we that obsessed with this trival nonsense?

I mean, do you really need to know what Julie said about your pic while you're at work working on a project? Do you need to know that Steve is eating a slice of pizza while you're supposed to be enjoying a great lunch or dinner at Capital Grill with your girl? While you're at the beach relaxing do you really need to know that Jenny is now off of her birth control pills b/c she is trying to get peggers with Ty's baby?

Who gives a cluck! I'm sorry for the rant. It's just that this is the last thing you would think people would be worried about. "I can't see new posts on FB so now I'm really p*ssed". Really????
    +1 on that mate. All i ever see and hear about is facebook. Boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    5) As a result of #3, there are barely 1,000 apps available, few of much use
    i hate when people play the app count game. DO you have 100 apps on your pre?? do you really think somebody has the 100,000+ iphone apps on their iphone?? no..

quality over quantity, and from what Ive seen pre has the basics covered, i really cant think of any apps i need that arent available. other people may have a few that are missing but the point is theres no point in throwing around all these numbers. When i used android i hated the app market because youd search for a program (ie bettercut) and then like 2000 results would pop up with just "skins" or :icon packs" for that program and it made it impossible to find the actual app. and they count all these icons packs as "apps" ...smh its inflation, those arent apps, and neither are themes or soundboards.

out of the 100,000 iphone apps im pretty sure even the heaviest of users wont get over 100 or 200 of those apps on their phone. so if less than 1% of that 100,000 you actually download what did it really matter?? as long as those 100 or so essential apps I need (more like 10) are available on my phone then them numbers mean absolutely nothing to me except i have to wade through that much more garbage to get to the premium stuff

this not directed at you, i know that wasnt the point of your whole post i just needed to vent that 1 time
    i doubt you'd see any real changes to the facebook app.
    Based on that fact that the CEO himself said for things like syncing he expects 3rd parties to fill in the gap. So i'm guessing 3rd parties will fill this gap too.
    Also remember that the phone software itself is version 1 still. (like task, phone, music, memos, maps, clock, etc etc).
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Well the front page of Precentral confirms alot of what Ive been saying...over 100 million people using Facebook on their mobile phones if that doesnt push smartphone sales then I dont know what does...
    facebook is a huge, if you don't realize that by now then you're just ignoring the truth. The point of the original post is to get palm to update their app. A lot of people would be much happier if the app was better. Look at all the other major phone OS, they all have a fully functioninf facebook app, do you think that's by accident?
    I like the Facebook app, and I think they should leave it the way it is. But since Facebook chat is now gone XMPP I would also like to see that implement into the chat application.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by motang View Post
    I like the Facebook app, and I think they should leave it the way it is. But since Facebook chat is now gone XMPP I would also like to see that implement into the chat application.
    that would be amazing
    Facebook app for your cellular phone? Whaaaaaaat! Please stop now with this FB obsession. I beg of you. It has gotten out of hand. Are we that obsessed with this trival nonsense?

I mean, do you really need to know what Julie said about your pic while you're at work working on a project? Do you need to know that Steve is eating a slice of pizza while you're supposed to be enjoying a great lunch or dinner at Capital Grill with your girl? While you're at the beach relaxing do you really need to know that Jenny is now off of her birth control pills b/c she is trying to get peggers with Ty's baby?

Who gives a cluck! I'm sorry for the rant. It's just that this is the last thing you would think people would be worried about. "I can't see new posts on FB so now I'm really p*ssed". Really????
    My friend S. works waaay too much, 80+ hrs/week. I like that through FB, I can kind of know what's going on in her life, for her it's even more valuable to be able to see, at a glance, what's going on in her friends lives. My friend J. finds lots of interesting and amusing links, and finds FB a convenient way to disseminate them to her friends. I'm notoriously adverse to talking on the phone, all of my actual friends are on FB, and enjoy getting more frequent updates on my life. When my friends J and E post new pictures or stories about their adorable spawn, I do want to see them. On FB, we can do all of these things in one place with an easy to use thing. It's not a substitute for real contact, but it's more than nothing.

It's just a convenient way to mantain a degree of connection with friends and family. Like anything, it can be overused or abused, of course. As for having it on the phone, well, I think that a lot of what people do on smartphones is fill up little chunks of empty/free time. Like in line at the bank, you often see people whip out their phones and play a game or read something. FB is pretty well suited for that. You could think of it as an aggregator with content that is entirely generated by your friends.

Having grown up on rotary phones, just being able to is enough reason to use FB on my phone.

EPIC WIN!!!! playboy gets a gold star.
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
    Not having used any others, I really liked the way the BlackBerry FB app worked. It didn't have chat (I don't use it all that much), but when I would get a message/comment/whatever, FB would send me an email, and the app would change that email into a FB message on my Messages screen, where all my emails/SMSs would show up. I'd open up the message and the FB app would open and let me read and reply.

What was nice is, instead of getting 20 emails when 20 different comments were left, I would have 1 message linking me to that set of comments.

I also knew when something happened. I turned off email notifications because I didn't want 20 emails on my phone. Now I'm not visiting FB that often.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast