1.    #1  
    Only 104 out of my 130+ Google contacts are synching to the Pre. I've completely removed the Gmail account from Contacts profile and re-added it...same problem. I exported all my contacts from Google then completely cleared them out from Google and re-imported them from the csv file...same problem. I even tried manually re-creating them in Google and a couple worked, then, same problem. I restarted the phone multiple times in between these processes. Plus, even the ones that do sync don't have the contact pictures anymore.

Anyone have any ideas? It seemed to work fine up until recently. The only thing I did different was install the PreWare app...which went fine...no errors. I didn't even install any patches or anything before I noticed the Contact sync not working...only the PreWare App. So, I don't know if it was installing PreWare that broke something or what...everything else seems to be working though...Google Calendar, etc.

I was going to WebOS Doctor the thing, but, couldn't get that to work either...so, I'm going to visit the friendly folks at Sprint tomorrow to see if they can help...thought I would check here first though to see if anyone had ideas.

Thanks!
    The new firmware only syncs contacts that are stored under "My Contacts" at your Gmail account.

Just visit www.gmail.com, select all of your contacts and then hit "Move to My Contacts" - then they will all sync to your phone

Hope this helps.
  3.    #3  
    The contacts were already listed under 'My Contacts'. But, I removed them all from 'My Contacts' and added them back to 'My Contacts'...refreshed Contacts on the Pre...nothing. Removed Gmail account from Contacts and re-added...still same problem...only 104 out of 132 total contacts are on the Pre.
    I'm having kind of a similar problem. Some contacts just don't show up. I haven't had time to think about it or try to figure it out though.
    Christa
    wife, mother, nerd and proud of it
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    there are a few threads on this already. The gist is that you do an export from GMail in vCard format. You then email it to yourself. From the phone you open it and it will all import while keeping them under your gmail account. It all works after that.
  6.    #6  
    Ok...I played around with it and I think I got it working. I:
    1. exported all Contact from Google to vcard file
    2. deleted all contacts from Google (yikes!)
    3. removed Google Contact acct on the Pre
    4. re-added the Google Contact acct on the Pre...after adding/synching, there were no contacts on the Pre
    5. clicked on the vcard file from email on the Pre...this was the vcard file that i sent myself
    6. it imported all Contacts into the Pre...all 132!!!! Yay!
    7. After a few minutes, I checked Gmail and all my 132 contacts were there! YES!!!

So, it seems to be working...I want to do a bit more testing tonight, but, this is the best it's worked in days. If it continues to work, all I have to do is go back and add all 132 contact pictures (I added one just to test and it did work).

Thanks for the suggestion on the vcard thing.
    <<moved>>
    Just call me Berd.
    I am having this problem too... will try to do your "solution" and see if it will work out for me!

thanks
  9. jhp
    I had a similar problem a while ago; I fixed it by removing contacts that began with numbers, after that the floodgates opened.
    I am having problem with my pre even loggong in into my google contacts account! :-( the email syncs fine, but the the contacts portion doesn't... When I try to create a contacs account it says username or password is incorrect...

...can't get my msn/live contacts imported either... It worked fine on launch day, but not anymore :-(
    had the same problem after doing a partial reset on my phone, did the vcard option and worked perfectly, but you do not have to erase your contacts in your gmail account before opening your vcard, it wont duplicate or overwrite them.
    I'm trying to sync my google contacts with my pre plus. I'm not getting many with phone numbers to sync, mostly just emails, and even then, not even all of the contacts are transferring over. I just added "all contacts" to "My contacts". I'll see if that works.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Is there a way to sync all contacts from the pre TO gmail. Whenever I add my gmail it just adds 1200 emails to my phone which is ridiculous. Someone please help me. If im missing a thread that has this just post me a link. Thank you.
    Can you synch groups this way? When you look at a group, there's no "Move to My Contacts" button. And I can't seem to form a group on my Pre.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    How do you trigger a SYNC? I updated Google Contacts, but do I just have to sit around and wait?
    Google’s proprietary Contacts format drives lots of my friends nuts. I’ve hit on a couple of Google goofs that prevent full syncs from happening, see a couple of them here - the contact names that begin with numbers for instance. Google syncs choke on a couple of other “goofs”, and not just with the WebOS - specifically, too many phone numbers - we’ve got a few Pres in my company and seen syncs blocked when there’s more than two mobile numbers. Hiccups happen when the addresses aren’t formatted with hard returns between each field. And, finally, if birthdays don’t contain the year we’ve seen syncs stop right at the contact with the month and date but no year - add the year, and the sync works fine again. My 2Ę.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I've dealt with the goofy Google contacts format in other settings, and it's particularly irritating that they insist on the "formatted" (screwed) address, then provide fields for the discrete values, but DON'T assemble that USEFUL data INTO a formatted address! COULD THAT GET WORSE? (I use a 34 element query to rip the address apart BTW!)

In reference to the Pre, does anyone know how to get the Google Contacts Group Membership to come through and display on the Pre? I want to try to get my contact data into my phone, which means organizing it SOMEWHERE. Google seems the most obvious place, since I can get to the source from anywhere (my PC sits at home), but GAWD! Now I have 1,700+ "contacts" but they really belong in five or six groups. I have them separated in Google Contacts, but now, in my Pre, they're a jumble!

I really liked the old Treo's ability to beam my business card to another device via infra-red, and we theoretically have the .VCF format, but no one seems to use it anymore. It's not just about typing in YOUR OWN contact data -- it should be about beaming or sharing blocks of contacts which are categorized by use!

Would it be Bluetooth, or WiFi that works best to share data? I guess they could be shared in Google Contacts, but then we're back to the inability to see groups or categories!

Does anyone have a "handle" on their contact data that is efficient and easy?
    Quote Originally Posted by hugh_h View Post
    I've dealt with the goofy Google contacts format in other settings, and it's particularly irritating that they insist on the "formatted" (screwed) address, then provide fields for the discrete values, but DON'T assemble that USEFUL data INTO a formatted address! COULD THAT GET WORSE? (I use a 34 element query to rip the address apart BTW!)

In reference to the Pre, does anyone know how to get the Google Contacts Group Membership to come through and display on the Pre?

I really liked the old Treo's ability to beam my business card to another device via infra-red, and we theoretically have the .VCF format, but no one seems to use it anymore.

Would it be Bluetooth, or WiFi that works best to share data? I guess they could be shared in Google Contacts, but then we're back to the inability to see groups or categories!

Does anyone have a "handle" on their contact data that is efficient and easy?
    Letís go fishing - youíve already opened the can of Google Can oí Contact Worms!!! Hey, i know Iím pretty new here on Precentral, but Iíve been around the mobile world for a while, Iím only here to help when I can. When it comes to Googleís data, keep in mind that theyíre a marketing company first, second, and third - and itís really all about their data and making it fit into our lives. Googleís using several proprietary format types, and itís either conform or, well, donít. Iím using several mobile devices to test my own companyís applications, and Iíve tried and failed to come up with one data exchange system that works across device platforms - and Googleís CSV format is difficult to get if youíre not tying into their system. Iíve given up trying to meld data stored on Googleís cloud with any of my other sources - MobileMe/Yahoo (both CalDAV), CSV, or Outlook CSV - I keep my Google data separate from every other application on my server or desktops since Iíve found that my contacts and calendars get fscked up every single time.

You arenít going to get any other Contacts groups synching other than ďMy ContactsĒ. IMO, give up.

You arenít going to get any other application to sync perfectly with Googleís contacts. Try this - export any of your groups using first the Google CSV format and then the Outlook CSV format, then open both in Excel - youíll see huge differences in how each file is parsed, even the headers are named differently, significantly so. IMO, give up.

Googleís CSV format uses delimiters that are like nothing youíll find anywhere - show me an Outlook CSV file that uses the ď:::Ē string and Iíll buy you a beer. In Oudenaarde.

Iíve resorted to emailing a new Google contact to my iPhone, then converting that contact to a CalDAV and keeping those files separate from anything Google.

Iíve tried to keep two databases for my contacts, Google and everything else. Iím likely going to ditch Google Premier Apps in the coming weeks, and Iíve already been experimenting with a couple of new cloud strategies in my idle time. Google is, however, the only company out there that makes synching across platforms available - itís just not seamless. Once you get the chance to compare Googleís CSV format for yourself, youíll see that itíll be too much work to keep things working across platforms. Read up on Googleís own forums - Android users are having the same problems you are. Iím moving on and far, far away from anything Google in our mobile cloud - itís just too much work!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    The "Groups" can include any number of group names, delimited by three colons (in honor of the three programmers at Google no doubt)
    There is an asterisk in front of one of them -- I make it "My Contacts" just to be sure. As for the difference in column names, that doesn't bother me. I'm used to doing the data-Watusi to make things work!

In Google contacts, you can assign (apparently) any number of group names to a contact, but they aren't categorized or even visible on the Pre -- just a big WAD of people.

Maybe in the future, we'll have the opportunity to alter the contact schema, and maybe a button to email attach a .vcf of one too?

And maybe HP will take a step back and UP to what the old Palm PIM suite was? I used it on several generations of Palms, and two Treos, and it was nothing less than outstanding.