Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been reading the forums here and best I can tell the WebOS can partially (as long as there is no thread) archive Gmail messages, but you cannot apply/remove labels. Do I understand that correctly?

Can you create custom folders on the Pre and link them to labels on Gmail? Didn't see any discussions about that.

I tried to get an idea if Palm plans to include more direct compatibility in a future WebOS version and all I could find were some wishes that a button to archive, or a way to make a swipe archive (hopefully entire conversations/threads) messages in a future release.

Do you guys think, or know, if these things are on the to-do list for Palm?
    question is correct, i dont know if this is a priority for palm at this time.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raleighretalk View Post
    I've been reading the forums here and best I can tell the WebOS can partially (as long as there is no thread) archive Gmail messages, but you cannot apply/remove labels. Do I understand that correctly?

Can you create custom folders on the Pre and link them to labels on Gmail? Didn't see any discussions about that.

I tried to get an idea if Palm plans to include more direct compatibility in a future WebOS version and all I could find were some wishes that a button to archive, or a way to make a swipe archive (hopefully entire conversations/threads) messages in a future release.

Do you guys think, or know, if these things are on the to-do list for Palm?
    I think a lot of the advanced features don't really belong to a phone. The priority for a phone should be ease of use, not features. If Palm can add more features without making the current usage more complicated, I am all for that. But I am afraid with more options, I may have to do more finger flickering to do the few things I do all the time.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    I think a lot of the advanced features don't really belong to a phone. The priority for a phone should be ease of use, not features. If Palm can add more features without making the current usage more complicated, I am all for that. But I am afraid with more options, I may have to do more finger flickering to do the few things I do all the time.

Have you tried the android gmail app?
    It is super easy to use and has most (if not all) advanced features of gmail.

Their gmail app is what I'm most jealous of on the android platform.
    Just so you're aware swipe-to-archive already exists - you just need to go into Options and choose your "All Mail" folder to be your trash folder - then every time you swipe to delete something, it will automatically archive it.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    It's up to google to release the api's. Right now, they're keeping it on android.
    I would rather have an app that I could download to take advatage of all the gmail features, or a "remix" like the one made for the music app.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Just so you're aware swipe-to-archive already exists - you just need to go into Options and choose your "All Mail" folder to be your trash folder - then every time you swipe to delete something, it will automatically archive it.
    Yeah, read about this. Only thing is you have to choose between delete or archive function. And it appeared that if you try to archive one message from a threaded conversation it would leave it in the inbox in Gmail. Might be good enough for now though.
    Gmail "label" is Google's idea of "subfolder sync" before they gave us IMAP sync capabilities. In Google's mind "Label" = "Subfolder sync" while IMAP says "Tags/Labels" are not equal to "Subfolder" or its synchronization ability. By going this way Google is forcing IMAP clients to interpret whether to treat "labels" = "subfolder sync" (and losing "tags" capabilities) OR "labels" = "tags" (and no "subfolder sync") in Gmail.
    I just went online and mobile gmail looks good, I just added to my books mark
    http://www.google.com/?source=mog&gl....com&source=gp

try this then sign in n after you can add it to ur launcher or booksmark it works great
    If I understand your questions correctly, Gmail's "lables" = folders, in essence. For me, all of my "labels" are in Gmail on my Pre as folders, and I file emails in them all the time. The only thing that seems to be missing in Gmail on the Pre is threaded messages.

Hope I understood correctly and hope this is helpful.

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePalmAddict View Post
    If I understand your questions correctly, Gmail's "lables" = folders, in essence. For me, all of my "labels" are in Gmail on my Pre as folders, and I file emails in them all the time. The only thing that seems to be missing in Gmail on the Pre is threaded messages.

Hope I understood correctly and hope this is helpful.

ME
    So, if I use your method, and file an email on the Pre in a folder, does it show up in the corresponding label in Gmail? And likewise, do emails that I label in Gmail show up in the corresponding folder on the Pre?
    I always filter my e-mails into Labels. Unfortunately the Pre's e-mail only looks in the Inbox and not your filters
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    In the WebOS email app labels show up as folders. (IMAP protocol). You can easily archive any gmail email by moving it to any folder. You can also customize which folder your "trash" is stored in. Some people change the trash folder to the "all mail" folder so that every gmail email is automatically archived when you delete them.

Palm has correctly chosen to support the IMAP standards for email. This insures compatibility with not only Gmail but Exchange, Yahoo, Hotmail and most other mail services. In order to utilize some of the advanced features of Gmail, a separate app would need to be created. That would be a 3rd party developers job and not Palms. Especially since Google is technically a competitor of Palm.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    yea I use gmail with no issues on my Pre. I wish it had threaded conversations, but I can live without them. Labels = folders, and for me the Trash on the pre = All Mail which = archiving. Simple.
    So, if I use your method, and file an email on the Pre in a folder, does it show up in the corresponding label in Gmail? And likewise, do emails that I label in Gmail show up in the corresponding folder on the Pre?
    That is correct. Also, be sure to go into the Gmail settings on your Pre and set the emails to show how many you desire to see (e.g., last 7 days, last month, all, etc.), otherwise you may look in one of your folders (labels) on your Pre and not see what you want.

HTH,
    ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    when I swipe to delete emails, they are still in my inbox. Swiping an unread msg simoly marks it as read but doesn't archive it.
    I've been using the Web version of Gmail since I got my Pixi. Finally synchred my gMail account using the built-in app in my Pixi. I must say that I still use both, as each version has features that the others don't...
    palm is getting behind on a few things....email being one of them.
    Its better to navigate to www.gmail.com. You get pretty much all the advanced features....
    - threaded email
    - pick and choose via checkbox what to delete/move/etc
    - ability to 'star' the email
    - and much more.
    I removed my email icon from the quicklaunch and stuck the web browser on it and made a bookmark to my gmail. Looks like a desktop with a TON of features in my email now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast