Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I finally made the switch today. Overall, I am am glad that I made the switch from the Pre to the Pixi Plus. I was trying to move my profile from the Pre to the Pixi Plus so that I could keep the applications. Things do not go as expected. The worse part is that I was planning on using my retired Pre as a "Pre Touch" -- and I'm not sure that is going to work now. I could especially use some help on this last item. If I can't figure out a way to use my Pre without Sprint I will have to return the Verizon Pixi Plus and port back to Sprint.

Bad

- none of my applications got moved over

Good

- for applications that I previously purchased I was able to download them for free. So, that is good. I guess I just need to re-load the 7-8 that I purchased as well as all free ones. The Palm rep says that the apps were supposed to move over, but can't help me since they did not. I wonder if the problem is moving between different platforms that may not be application compatible.

Good

- MyQ for NetFlix application was able to access my account after I downloaded. I did not have to input anything.

Good

- my memos and Tasks moved over as expected

Good

- the following account information (but no credentials) from my profile did migrate over:

- Google contacts
    - Linkedin contacts
    - Facebook contacts
    - Exchange email and calendar
    - AIM

Bad

It also tried to connect me to Yahoo, but that kept on failing -- probably because Verizon does not support Yahoo Messenger.

Ugly

My Sprint Pre will not let me create a new profile. It says:

Sign In Failed

You need to be connected to your wireless service provider's network to sign in. Move into a wireless service area and try again.
    This is going to be tough, since I just ported my number from Sprint to Verizon

So, does anybody know how to get this working? I just got out of live chat session with a Palm support engineer and claims that I cannot set-up a profile without a Sprint connection with data services. So, my Pre has turned into an expensive paper weight.

UPDATE:

I noticed a few other things after playing longer:

- my browser bookmarks and history came over -- but the icons had to be regenerated. It even kept the Sprint bookmark.

- none of the settings came over. I had to set the advanced gestures setting and other things like that

- my ring tones did not copy over -- along with photos or music. The ring tones were a problem, because I have to go back to all the contacts and re=assign ring tones.
    Last edited by miata; 01/31/2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: updates
    I can't remember what it's called, but there is a way to bypass service provider network...if someone knows what it's called or can add a link to the appropriate thread?
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I can't remember what it's called, but there is a way to bypass service provider network...if someone knows what it's called or can add a link to the appropriate thread?
    I did some Googling with those terms and came up with a few links for tweaking the phone to move from Sprint to Verizon, but couldn't find anything about creating a profile without a service provider network.

I was on Cingular/ATT for quite a while, one thing I really liked about GSM is that you just put a SIM card in the phone and you're connected. I had some reservations about moving to Sprint or Verizon, because I wold lose this flexibility. I bet this would be no problem with a GSM phone.
    Okay, I found the thread...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ghlight=bypass

This should provide the info you need, I hope.

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Thanks. I'll have to check this out. The procedure is a little more complicated that I had hoped. I guess if worse comes to worse I'll sell my Sprint Pre on Craig's list and put the money toward the recently announced Jumbo iPod Touch (iPad). I would imagine I can easily get $150-200.

I have to say that the more I use the Pixi Plus the more I like it. At this point I can safely say that the Pixi PLus is not going back.
    Welcome. Good luck.