View Poll Results: What do you use to sync music?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • USB Drive mode and manually manage my music files

34 75.56%
  • iTunes 9.0.1 or earlier

6 13.33%
  • Doubletwist

5 11.11%
  1.    #1  
    Hello everyone, new webOS user here. I just jumped ship from my iPhone 3G to the Pixi Plus -- paid the termination fee too. I'm either crazy, stupid, or ahead of the curve. I'd like to think its the latter but who knows.

I've got the hang of webOS, except one thing: What is the best way to sync music?

Being able to connect the Pixi as a USB drive -- using an Apple device, you start forgetting that this is possible -- certainly brings back good memories. However, this is not the way I want to manage my dozen-gigabyte sized music library. I'm a Hackintosh user and have iTunes 9.0.2 installed, but that doesn't recognize my new Pixi.

Here's a poll based on a quick search, but I'd like to hear more about your choices and your experiences. Let me know if I left out an option.
    None of the above, I use WinAmp which recognises the pre as an ipod and syncs accordingly. Never had any problems.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by stueybuk View Post
    None of the above, I use WinAmp which recognises the pre as an ipod and syncs accordingly. Never had any problems.
    Arg... Looks like I can't edit the poll. =(

I can't use WinAmp since I'm on OS X.
    I use MediaMonkey to make sure all my files are tagged properly - album/artists/album art/etc... then I just dump them in the USB drive in a folder I created.

From there the Music Player (Remix) does the rest.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    None of the Above

I use J River Media Jukebox in Media Sync mode. LOVE IT!
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    You're missing a poll option which is Windows Media Player. I put the device in "USB Mode" and then start up WMP and use its sync option to automatically sync new music to the player.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I have never used any sync software for any of my mp3 players. I think I don't fully understand what the advantage of using sync over dragg and drop is.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I have never used any sync software for any of my mp3 players. I think I don't fully understand what the advantage of using sync over dragg and drop is.
    I make Smart Playlists based on how much or date of song on my laptop...it syncs the changes on my pre. Thats just my need.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I also use Winamp. Works great.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I use MediaMonkey. The program is light, fast, and feature-rich. Also creates the logical folders you would expect in every sync solution.
    Being a person always in search of ways to overcomplicate things I use:

• J. River Media Center (used to manage the home media library behind the scenes)
    • GoodSync
    • Windows Live Sync
    • Growl
    • Growl add-in "Scripty" (to send notifications from Growl to Windows Media Center)
    • Scheduled Tasks add-on for Windows Media Center (lets you define any number of tasks that can be run directly from within the WMC UI)
    • Batch files

I can't link to any of them being new round here I'm afraid.

J. River Media Center runs on the home server and selects what music to put on the Pre. I've a few smartlists for this:
    1. Favourite albums.
    2. All 5 star rated tracks.
    3. 3GB worth of all the rest sorted by rating and date imported.

There's a separate smartlist of things I never want on the Pre e.g. my better halfs music, the kids "music" and one or two genres I don't want synced. This is used as a list of stuff never to be included in the other smartlists.
    One other feature of JRMC is the ability to exclude duplicates when syncing to a device. This means that, although I have some 5 star rated tracks appearing in the favourite albums smartlist, it won't then include them again in the 5 star smartlist.
    JRMC then transfers all of this to a separate folder on my server (WHS to be precise) which is then automatically synced to my work desktop using Windows Live Sync. The idea for this is so I can sync my phone at work.

Photos, videos and any downloaded music are on separate network shares which also get synced as above.

That's the content side of things. To actually sync the stuff I use SFTP on the Pre to do this wirelessly (me hates cables!). GoodSync is the app I use for that as it lets you create a number of profiles that can be synced to / from a multitude of sources e.g. SFTP, FTP, network shares, WebDAV, Amazon S3 and even Windows Mobile.

The actual process consists of making sure wifi is on (it nearly always is anyways) and then launching a script (syncing either an individual media type or the whole lot) to kick things off. I've got desktop shortcuts (with shiny icons too!) on the home and work PCs and the Scheduled Tasks add-in on Windows Media Center to do that. They all point to the same scripts which are again kept in sync across all machines using Windows Live Sync. The start-up script basically kicks off GoodSync in a hidden mode so it's out of site.
    One nice feature of GoodSync is that it can run other programs (or just email you with the log file) when it finishes, passing them command line parameters with info about how the sync process went e.g. number of changes, success / failure, number of errors and conflicts etc. I use this to then kick off another script to notify me that the sync has completed. It basically take the parameters and formats them in to something a human can easily read. It then generates a notification with the results. For this I've used Growl for Windows. It's installed on all machines to pop up an unobtrusive notification (including Windows Media Center) for a few seconds and then disappear. It's also been configured to send an email to the Pre in case I'm not in front of one of the PCs at the time.

Simple! Now it's all set up it really is a joy to use and is a definite one-in-the-eye for iphone users . In this day and age we really shouldn't have to sync things over cables but, unfortunately, we do
    Last edited by Norf; 01/29/2010 at 09:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Media Monkey all the way here. I've been using it since I got my PSP and put music on there. The latest update even put the Pre built in. I didn't need that but it's nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by STBXXL View Post
    I also use Winamp. Works great.
    i used to use winamp, but ever since 1.3.5 came out it will not recognize my pre...its irritating because WMP sucks, and dragging and dropping doesnt always work as alot of the music i have was ripped years ago in .wma format which doenst work on webos. anything i can do so i dont have to go through the tedious task of converting the cd's i want to a compatible format? winamp always converted it for me over to my pre
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedpipes View Post
    i used to use winamp, but ever since 1.3.5 came out it will not recognize my pre...its irritating because WMP sucks, and dragging and dropping doesnt always work as alot of the music i have was ripped years ago in .wma format which doenst work on webos. anything i can do so i dont have to go through the tedious task of converting the cd's i want to a compatible format? winamp always converted it for me over to my pre
    I think you should try iTunes 9.0.1 (you have to search for that specific version online, can't dl it from Apple as far as I can tell). It will probably convert the music since the Pre is recognized as an iPod in iTunes and iPods obviously don't support wma.

P.S. I decided to use iTunes. On a Mac, there is nothing comparable to the solution suggested here. :`(
    Last edited by pacemkr; 01/30/2010 at 10:25 AM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Norf View Post
    Being a person always in search of ways to overcomplicate things I use:

snip...
    That is purely insane Norf.

Kudos for having the balls to top it off with "Simple!"
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    None of the above - GoGadget
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    The best option (in my opinion) is MediaMonkey. If you use the iPod settings, your playlists and album art will sync correctly and the Music app or Music Player Remix will see them fine. After initial setup all you have to do is plug in your Pre and click one button to sync (or set to sync automatically as soon as device is connected).

Here is a how-to guide:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...diamonkey.html