Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    It seems like my battery drains a lot faster with this option enabled. I was down 15% in 45 minutes from doing very very little. Is this true Push email? I'm using gmail btw.
    Last edited by rashad1; 01/26/2010 at 12:07 PM.
    How many mails did you get in this time? About 100 every ten seconds? Is WiFi enabled? Have you done some long-term testing ( like 1 day ) ?
    That is push email. If you have a ton of email messages coming into your mailbox all of the time it is very battery intensive. It makes more sense to drop it and have pull email instead for battery life.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by damnregister View Post
    How many mails did you get in this time? About 100 every ten seconds? Is WiFi enabled? Have you done some long-term testing ( like 1 day ) ?
    I got maybe 6 emails. Wifi was off. I've used it before and turned it off due to suspicion of battery drain. I've had is enable since yesterday, and I noticed my battery died pretty quickly yesterday too.
    I've always found that push email is notoriously bad on battery life, on almost any phone. Even setting it to check every 5 or 10 minutes has always improved battery life for me.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    I've always found that push email is notoriously bad on battery life, on almost any phone. Even setting it to check every 5 or 10 minutes has always improved battery life for me.
    I thought the point of push was lack of need for a constant data connection, the remote server sent the email to your phone only when it arrives. Thus improving battery life.
    Last edited by rashad1; 01/26/2010 at 01:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    My results are the exact opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    My results are the exact opposite.
    I'm with you. Setting e-mail to pull every 5 or 10 minutes is usually much more battery draining than push e-mail, since push e-mail is only really active when an e-mail gets pushed to it. Of course, if you're getting email every minute, then that's going to drain a lot of battery.
    yea, I know that for most people push isn't too bad, but I've had nothing but problems with push email and killing my battery life, and I don't get email every minute. I have just always found that it does drain my battery faster, I don't know, just my personal experience.
    There is no spoon
    I hate it when links go back to Treocentral. It looks so old.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    I though the point of push was that there is no need for a constant data connection, the remote server sent the email to your phone only when it arrives. Thus improving battery life.
    That's because the Pre doesn't use true push, it uses IMAP idle, which maintains a connection to the gmail servers and gets notified whenever a new message is available. True push email is available only on blackberry devices because they use blackberry servers which are set up to monitor your email account for you and then send out updates as emails arrive, instead of requiring a constant data connection to the phone. Thus, with true push on BBs, the work is done by the BB servers. With IMAP idle, the work is done by the phone and thus the battery drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by livinofframen View Post
    That's because the Pre doesn't use true push, it uses IMAP idle, which maintains a connection to the gmail servers and gets notified whenever a new message is available. True push email is available only on blackberry devices because they use blackberry servers which are set up to monitor your email account for you and then send out updates as emails arrive, instead of requiring a constant data connection to the phone. Thus, with true push on BBs, the work is done by the BB servers. With IMAP idle, the work is done by the phone and thus the battery drain.
    Why is it only some experience this battery drain with "push"? Mine is so much better with as items arrive than with it checking every so often.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Good answer, I think people should stop calling this Push then if it's not true Push.
    Is this true with EAS as well? What I mean to ask is EAS a true push or does it behave more like Gmail with IMAP idle?
    Last edited by jherubin; 01/26/2010 at 01:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    My understanding from a thread where we discussed this yesterday is that EAS is more like true push, whereas gmail and yahoo push is what the previous poster described and is less efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    Why is it only some experience this battery drain with "push"? Mine is so much better with as items arrive than with it checking every so often.
    Hard to say. Without knowing anything about your situation, it might be because you get relatively few emails (i.e. fewer than would arrive by checking in intervals) but I'm not entirely sure. The Pre battery life remains a bit of a mystery to me, as some people get pretty good battery life, others terrible. I use "as items arrive" as well and have absolutely no issues, but I also have the Seidio 2600, so I just leave all those battery-wasting services like GPS and IMAP idle on :-p
    I'm no expert, but I don't believe the maintenance of the connection is a huge battery drain. From my understanding, the connection is only active once every 15 minutes or so, during which time the client (the Pre in this case) sends a (very short/small) message letting the server know it's available, so that the connection doesn't close.

I found an interesting white paper that explains the benefits/drawbacks of imap idle and "true push."

IMAP IDLE: The best approach for 'push' email
    Well:

- IMAP Idle: Bring up one connection. No other traffic until a message arrives (assuming your connection stays up)

vs.

- setting to poll every so often, which requires traffic to bring up and then tear down a connection every (x)t regardless of whether there are messages for you or not.

I tend to think that in most cases the first option is always going to be better for your battery.
    Just to add on to this comment which is totally on the mark, most exchange servers also use this technology. Which is that the email is pushed onto the phone from the company server which the device is associated. Similar concept but less transitions and waypoints. Popular email services like yahoo,gmail, hotmail, and aol are synced via imap idle like the poster said. Imap has the additional advantage and disadvantage of controlling the email on the server. So when you open an email on the pre in imap, it will also be marked open in the desktop version.

So pulling email every 5+ minutes is actually much less battery draining.