Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Google's sync API is much more advanced than Microsoft's EAS. If Google sync works for you I recommend not opening the can of worms and endless problems know as exchange active sync. If you are having problems with Google Sync then I recommend going through Google's knowledge base and support forums.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by joejoe1 View Post
    this explains why I had such trouble finding information about this 2 weeks ago. It seems no one else knew about it. Not to thread jump, but any ideas on battery life differences b/w imap push and exchange push?
    Google has supported EAS for close to 2 years now. Its not a secret or a conspiracy, its just not the preferred syncing solution.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyfrom702 View Post
    Well this is subjective I'm sure but, my battery life seems to be better with it set up as exchange. I make it home now with half my battery left after 10 or so hours and with synergy I would get home with like 10%. I'm sure results vary but, it's working better for me! I know someone is going to say its just placebo....
    +1 Things seem a bit snappier now too...why doesn't Google publish this info?
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Google's sync API is much more advanced than Microsoft's EAS. If Google sync works for you I recommend not opening the can of worms and endless problems know as exchange active sync. If you are having problems with Google Sync then I recommend going through Google's knowledge base and support forums.
    If Google's solution is so much more advanced than EAS, besides breaking through market share and old habits, why then aren't big corps jumping ship left and right and jumping on the Google bandwagon? And why are most of us having more issues with Google sync than with EAS? I want to believe, but the evidence is stacked in the opposite direction...
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    One of the biggest biotech companies in the world replaced sendmail and MS. Office apps with Google Apps
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    If Google's solution is so much more advanced than EAS, besides breaking through market share and old habits, why then aren't big corps jumping ship left and right and jumping on the Google bandwagon? And why are most of us having more issues with Google sync than with EAS? I want to believe, but the evidence is stacked in the opposite direction...
    When it comes to battery life you are fooling yourself if you think it is better to sync instantaneously vs. every 15 minutes.
    stu5797, that's a significant over-generalization. It entirely depends on the volume of e-mail you get and how your push server is set up.

If you get more than one e-mail every 15 min, all day, then yes, you're using more data, and thus more power. If you're getting less than that, EAS is generally connecting only once every 15 min anyway (although the admin may have set your server to a 30 min heartbeat instead).

If you're using IMAP, it's even better, as IMAP push is only connecting once--briefly--every 30 min (actually, I believe it's 29, looking at my GMail activity logs), so it is much more efficient.

--A
    Last edited by SoundGuyAndy; 01/31/2010 at 08:40 PM.
    If you read release notes, Google accounts are polling every minute or so for contact synchronization, which can't be good for battery life.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Ok, apparently this also works for google apps. Last I checked, this cost monies for use with GA.

Hehehe. No more "to many logins" messages!
    It wasn't me officer, I swear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
    If you read release notes, Google accounts are polling every minute or so for contact synchronization, which can't be good for battery life.
    It's every 15 minutes.
    you can set the time it syncs just like every other email account. The contacts sync to the phone great but for some reason when i add a contact to my gmail via my browser it won't sync over to my phone contact list.

But say i add Razer Support to my Contacts via my desktop Browser and hit sync accounts on the pre. i scroll down to the R's and the contact is not there. So i typed Razer it says no search results, but i have the option to globle address search so i hit that and it find the Razer Support contact.

now for adding new contacts to my pre and then hitting sync it is added to my gmail contacts immediately so we dont have any issues there.

Any got a idea why it wont just add it to the contact list on the pre, why i have to search for it. i have the Gmail exchange set to my default account.
    Well this is subjective I'm sure but, my battery life seems to be better with it set up as exchange. I make it home now with half my battery left after 10 or so hours and with synergy I would get home with like 10%. I'm sure results vary but, it's working better for me! I know someone is going to say its just placebo....
    Kelly (or anyone else): I'm wondering if your experience that EAS (exchange) is less battery-intensive than Synergy is holding up over time.

I have a refurbished Pre (running WebOS 1.3.5.1) on Sprint and am syncing with Google Apps contacts, calendar and email. I currently am syncing via Synergy (the "Google" option) for contacts and calendar, which seem to be working fine once I fixed a few contact records on the Google server.

I separately set email up via IMAP and am hoping that I can keep using "as they arrive" for email schedule (with either exchange or IMAP) but still get decent battery life.

Your thoughts are appreciated...
    Last edited by gclouse; 02/22/2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: insert quote
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by gclouse View Post
    Kelly (or anyone else): I'm wondering if your experience that EAS (exchange) is less battery-intensive than Synergy is holding up over time.

I have a refurbished Pre (running WebOS 1.3.5.1) on Sprint and am syncing with Google Apps contacts, calendar and email. I currently am syncing via Synergy (the "Google" option) for contacts and calendar, which seem to be working fine once I fixed a few contact records on the Google server.

I separately set email up via IMAP and am hoping that I can keep using "as they arrive" for email schedule (with either exchange or IMAP) but still get decent battery life.

Your thoughts are appreciated...
    I'm not having any battery issues at all. Thats not to say I get better battery this way. I think it is the same. I had my Pre setup before with gmail imap as items arrive and my battery would last the day with typical use. It still lasts a day with typical use so, I can definetly say I'm not using more battery. I have found however that its more reliable with EAS when I put something in my calendar/contacts its immediately synced and my email has no lag at all. My main reason for setting it up this way was I had some serious lag in my calendar and not all my contacts were syncing. Now everything is working fine. Hope this helps you.
    Ok,
    Heres my question.

I already have an actual exchange account setup,will this be a problem?
    You actually don't need to do the "fake" password bit - just touch the email button in the "add account" window and it will allow you to select manual setup.
    I tried doing this a while ago (I did the same thing on the iphone when gmail started exchange support) but the pre would not load exchange emails. Seems to be fixed! Everything works, push gmail, push google calendar, and imports 'my contacts' from gmail.
    Works great for me. I had the problem with the normal setup that if my mail was set to receive mail as it arrived, it would never mark my mail as having been read unless I did a manual sync. Doing it via the exchange route fixes that problem.

I called Palm about this problem with the normal set up, and they said it would be submitted to the engineering team to be corrected. I'd have to say that I'm not holding my breath.
    To fix the multiple calendars issue just apply the iPhone spoof patch set your calendars and then you can take off the patch if you want. I did it it works great!
    Quote Originally Posted by xioq View Post
    When I use the iPhone spoof I am able to get access to the Sync settings, however it only allows me to select 1 calendar. On my iPhone I was able to select up to 25 calendars. So unfortunately, that does not help.
    +1 for me, I can get to Sync settings, but am unable to check additional calendars,
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    A roundabout way of getting to multiple calendars would be to set up another Gmail account and share the calendars with it. Then sync your phone with the second account the normal route. My understanding is that exchange pushes calendar events but the regular Gmail interface does not. Personally, I don't care if it takes 30 minutes or an hour for events to show up as long as they sync eventually.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12