1. BJB
    I have searched on this issue, based on the current carriers. Some say you have to sign up for a profile, others say you don't. I'll be on Verizon so not sure if this answer is known yet, or if it will work the same.

Not sure if anyone knows yet....but is there a way to use the Pre without setting up the cloud sync/Profile? I don't really need it as my one data source is a corporate exchange server, and the other is a local PC Chapura-sync'd Outlook .PST file. I've already got all kind of backups and if I did a restore (based on what I've read about the profile/cloud restores) I'd rather do it myself.

Also, does it try to backup all data sources on the device or just the contacts and calendar in a particular profile. I have read up on profiles, but this old Treo user is having a hard time wrapping my brain around it.

BJB
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Palm only backs up the stuff in the Palm profile, so if you are using Exchange or Google Palm only bacs up your account cedentials.
    ^^^And you will want that if you purchase any apps and need to wipe the phone or replace it. You don't have to save any of your personal info on it.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  4. BJB
    Thanks.... I have helped so many friends setup Treo's, I feel a bit lost with the Pre.

So I guess the stratagy is:
    -The chapura-synced-PC-based outlook PST (i.e. contacts and calendar) will be in my Palm profile and backed up to the Palm mothership.
    -If I need updates or buy apps, that will happen via this link also
    -My exchange server-connected e-mail will NOT get backed up to the Palm servers but who cares as it is backed up corporately.
    -Third party apps installed? I guess if bought from the Palm App store they will be "backed up" and restored?
    -Any other programs I add manually? Pictures, documents, etc.... Assume nothing backs this up.
    - So no "backup buddy" or similar program that will backup or restore everything??

Thanks,
    BJB
    Quote Originally Posted by BJB View Post
    -The chapura-synced-PC-based outlook PST (i.e. contacts and calendar) will be in my Palm profile and backed up to the Palm mothership.
    Chapura PocketMirror will create it's own Outlook account profile, it will not put your Contacts, Calendar events, Tasks and Notes into the Palm Pre profile. I wrote up a brief explanation a while back...

Check here and here
  6. BJB
    Woodruff,
    Thanks!! Great stuff. So in my case, my Pre profile will be blank....the only thing it will "backup" will be any apps I have bought and allow me to download apps.

BJB