1.    #1  
    After discovering Palm Profile doesn't backup contacts properly and that 2 way sync is not available with Yahoo, I've decided to try and sync all my contacts with my gmail.

I've set my default account to gmail, but noticed that it says "all new contacts will default to this account".

I want to be able to take all my contacts from all accounts (mainly Palm Profile) and sync to my google account. Is this possible?
    Last edited by algee650; 01/13/2010 at 12:47 PM.
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    I'd love to do the same thing, I did a little research today, and it seems as there isn't a very easy way. Best solution I've found was to sync it to outlook, then export a csv file, then import it to Gmail.

If someone has a better solution I'm all ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    I want to be able to take all my contacts from all accounts (mainly Palm Profile) and sync to my google account. Is this possible?
    I just followed the instructions on this page (http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...abase.db3_File) yesterday and moved 154 contacts from my Palm Profile to Google. It was VERY easy to do. The most difficult and time consuming part that I found was removing the contacts from my Palm Profile (had to do it one-by-one manually), importing into Google took about 30 seconds.

If you have any questions about the process, just ask!!
  4.    #4  
    Hmmm, sounds like a viable option. Thanks for sharing.
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    Hmmm, sounds like a viable option. Thanks for sharing.
    No problem, I probably should have been a little more specific on the steps I followed:

1. Install sqllite and Perl.
    2. Grab your PalmDatabase.db3 from WOSQI
    3. Copy the Perl script from the above webpage and substitute variables appropriatly.
    4. Run the Perl script.
    5. Open the palm_pre_contacts.csv in Excel
    6. Go through your contact list and remove every contact listed in the palm_pre_contacts.csv file (this will take you some time if you have a lot of contacts)
    7. Import the palm_pre_contacts.csv into Gmail
    8. Go to your pre and sync contacts

Then tapping on the "Palm Profile" option in your contacts app should show 0 contacts and clicking on Gmail should show all the ones you just moved.

I should point out that DrewPre created a script to do all of the above steps, you can find his stuff in this post: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...acts-free.html
    If its worth Five dollars to you here is an app that will do all the heavy lifting for you
    Xybyresoft WebOS Utilities
    I dont understand how to do this...Im computer illiterate to this phone stuff. Help please! Step by step. I just need my palm to transfer over to my gmail account so i can get another phone.
    Well the way I do it is use two-way sync of my outlook and google account using 'gsyncit'. Then I sync my google account with my Pre. This way, any contacts I manage on the Pre are automatically synced with my outlook and so I always have a backup on my desktop!
    I use Gsyncit from www.daveswebsite.com too. It works well and costs $15, will sync Contacts, Calendar and Notes 2 ways with Gmail and then Gmail does the rest with the Pre. I set it to sync every 2 hours between 7am and 10pm. It becomes an addin for Outlook. I am happy.

Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post
    Well the way I do it is use two-way sync of my outlook and google account using 'gsyncit'. Then I sync my google account with my Pre. This way, any contacts I manage on the Pre are automatically synced with my outlook and so I always have a backup on my desktop!
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    The most difficult and time consuming part that I found was removing the contacts from my Palm Profile (had to do it one-by-one manually),
    i have never said anything bad about the pre, nor will i. however that is an annoying process. i am still working on mine.

i use my gmail account for pleasure and work for a while so it imported all 2000+ email addys from over the years. im finally half way done with deleting bad ones from the letter "S". only a few more letters to go. T is a big one too

i figure they do this to be safe. had i known i would have gone to gmail and deleted them from there first before syncing.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    i have never said anything bad about the pre, nor will i. however that is an annoying process. i am still working on mine.
    Yeah, I partially blame Palm/Sprint and partially blame myself.

My problem was that I had all my contacts from my previous cell phone copied over to my Pre (not a lot compared to some, but it was around 150 or so). When you first setup your Pre the Palm Profile is the default for contacts, and thus that is where those contacts get copied to.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have linked my Gmail account as my default for contacts, then had Sprint copy them over to my Pre. That way they would have synced into my gmail contacts instead of my Palm Profile contacts.

Oh well, live and learn right?
    my way of getting this done:

go one by one on your contacts (I had over 500 contacts, so this took me a little over 6 hours all together, but in a matter of 2-3 days):
    -one by one, type in info from phone palm profile into Google/Yahoo account on computer
    -delete profile off the phone (this same palm profile you just copied)

I did this and like I said long process, but after the 1.3 update, I lost over 300 contacts.... I'm not going thru that again...now I have only 2 palm contacts, they are the sprint cust service numbers... all other 625 now...are all on google... now I am stress-free!
    Last edited by KingRican; 01/14/2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: typos'