Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What I'm most interested in is something I am familiar with: Palm Desktop. I still own my Treo650, and while there was much to be desired with Desktop, I still love it's simplicity and ability to keep my "stuff" off the interent and not in a "cloud". Plus, entering data/contacts and calendar info for up to a year in advance was simple and easier than typing on my device.

I currently use Outlook and have synced my contacts from my Treo 650 to Outlook contacts. (That is about the most techie thing I can handle).

I'l love something FREE, but I'm aware that is not an option (that I know of).

I have been seaching these forums for over 2 weeks and have found these options: (I'm sure there are more, please let me know)

Pocket Mirror
    Echo
    Missing Sync
    COmpanion Link
    Google (cloud syncing)

I am NOT a techie. I need simple. I want something that backs up my information, and a place I can enter large amounts of info without typing it on my Pre. AND I'd prefer it NOT be GOOGLE.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate your replies.

NurseLisa
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    There are demos out there if you want to give them a try. I tried pocket mirror out and it was cool, but not looking to dish out the 40$ yet. Good luck
    Sprint Palm Pre-
  3.    #3  
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    NurseLisa welcome to the forums and I wish you luck in your quest.

CompanionLink offers two products that are unique; Palm Desktop sync through Google, and Palm Desktop sync direct using the USB cable.

For your needs, I would recommend downloading "CL USB Sync" app from the Palm App Catalog, and CompanionLink USB from our website. This will support all versions of Palm Desktop, and provide direct wired sync to your Palm Pre/Pixi. The steps are a tad different than old Hotsync, but the net effect is the same.

I can't speak for the competition, but I will note that as far as I know, CL USB Sync is the only program that supports all versions of Palm Desktop. It's the only one to sync Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Memos from Palm Desktop. And it's the only one that works via USB Cable which can yield sync speeds many times faster than Wifi or Cloud based sync.

CompanionLink has a free evaluation so you can try it free for 14 days, and after buying it we have a 90 day money back guarantee "no questions asked" in case you change your mind or your phone. Technical support via telephone and email is free with CompanionLink, something that few companies provide for any app on any phone.

I'll give one more good reason to use CompanionLink for Palm Desktop. It is a small internal thing that no one would really notice. You see, Palm Desktop files are pretty small, typically only 50-200k in size. So our software makes a backup of your files every time you sync "Just in case". The software automatically keeps 10 backups and in addition a copy of the files as they were the first time you used CompanionLink. This extra backup adds about 1 second to the sync time and no more than 2-3 MB of your hard drive space. This is a fail-safe we've been doing since 1999 as a security measure. In the unlikely case of a complete data mashup, our techs may direct someone to restore from the extra copies to restore data or recover lost data.

I know everyone wants free software. But we've got a US based team of tech support people and programmers, and amazingly, they want to pay their rent and feed their families. Some software is wiz-bang and after you get bored it doesn't matter how it works or that you paid $2 for it. We feel that dependable PC Synchronization is a different deal than a fun game or twitter application. PC Sync covers a range of important business functions. We see this as a long-term partnership because no matter how many new PCs you buy, or new phones, your data retains its value and its importance for both your business and your personal life. Our value equation comes back because CompanionLink allows you to use one license for both work and home computers, and to transfer your license for any new computer or phone that you buy. CompanionLink can link your same data, from Palm Desktop, Outlook or whatever PC program you use, to any Smartphone currently being sold. One license gives you years of use, and also years of free telephone support when you need it. For this reason I feel CompanionLink offers a good value for very little money.

So there you have it! I hope this information helps.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
    Last edited by Clcto; 01/13/2010 at 10:52 PM.
  5. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Thanks for the post! I have also been sitting on the fence for a while but it looks like CL USB for me since I want to sync to my Lotus Notes calendar to my Pre. I see that you also include your own Memo and Tasks WebOS apps - that is a nice bonus for me - however will you be adding separate launchers for them?
  6.    #6  
    I know everyone wants free software. But we've got a US based team of tech support people and programmers, and amazingly, they want to pay their rent and feed their families. Some software is wiz-bang and after you get bored it doesn't matter how it works or that you paid $2 for it. We feel that dependable PC Synchronization is a different deal than a fun game or twitter application. PC Sync covers a range of important business functions. We see this as a long-term partnership because no matter how many new PCs you buy, or new phones, your data retains its value and its importance for both your business and your personal life. Our value equation comes back because CompanionLink allows you to use one license for both work and home computers, and to transfer your license for any new computer or phone that you buy. CompanionLink can link your same data, from Palm Desktop, Outlook or whatever PC program you use, to any Smartphone currently being sold. One license gives you years of use, and also years of free telephone support when you need it. For this reason I feel CompanionLink offers a good value for very little money.

So there you have it! I hope this information helps.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Thank you, that was very informative! I know "free" is a dream, I was just hoping that Palm would see that some of us would still like the option to sync to our desktop.

I'm sure I will move into the future and move my info to Google. Athough, I've used a Hotmail account for the last 13 years that I would like to keep. I wonder if they provide the same syncing in a cloud Google does? I'm sure someone out there knows...I don't want 15 email accounts, ONE is enough for me!

I really appreciate the information you all have given me!

Lisa
  7.    #7  
    CLcto:
    Does CompanionLink also sync Music? I have a HUGE amount on my Treo that I'd like to get moved to my pre.

All of the music is currently backed up on my laptop in a Realplayer and Windows media player file
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NurseLisa View Post
    CLcto:
    Does CompanionLink also sync Music? I have a HUGE amount on my Treo that I'd like to get moved to my pre.
    NurseLisa, CompanionLink doesn't currently do music sync. We stick to our specialty which is Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Memos. You might look into DoubleTwist for Pre, but I really don't know what would work from the Treo.
    For your needs, I would recommend downloading "CL USB Sync" app from the Palm App Catalog, and CompanionLink USB from our website. This will support all versions of Palm Desktop, and provide direct wired sync to your Palm Pre/Pixi. The steps are a tad different than old Hotsync, but the net effect is the same.

What if you have windows Vista 64 bit that never worked with a USB cable sync for Palm Desktop? Is there a way for me to use Bluetooth to sync with Companion Link?

JamieB
    Nurselisa, is posted this.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...-software.html
    Can help you

Saludos
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieb View Post
    What if you have windows Vista 64 bit that never worked with a USB cable sync for Palm Desktop?
    Jamieb; We don't use Hotsync, so we work fine with Windows Vista 64 bit, and also Windows 7 64-bit. If your Pre can connect as a storage device, CompanionLink will work with it fine. You can check this by connecting your Pre to your PC, and when the Pre comes up with options select "USB Drive". Then, on your PC, check to see that the Pre has mounted properly for file sharing. This is the mode that CompanionLink uses.

I'll check with my team, but Palm webOS Bluetooth is a bit different than Palm OS Bluetooth. I don't believe you can mount a webOS device to the PC via Bluetooth, and have it show as a storage device, at the current time.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Clcto, and comment a third partys apps.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...-software.html

Now I prefer yours application.
    I keep lots of data in my Palm Centro, I've done some tests to pass my data to Google and have not been good, plus I prefer to use Outlook or Palm desktop, no internet ...

Your application.
    USB sync with Palm Pre. Sync Palm Pre with Palm Desktop, Outlook, Lotus Notes, ACT!, and other PC software

I tried a little, but do not understand why the memos and tasks that you synchronize from our pc so within your program.

and memos and tasks aplication the Palm will on their part.

He solved this? In future ?

Take out any program manager of the Pre (PIM)? and Palm desktop?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morrit View Post
    I tried a little, but do not understand why the memos and tasks that you synchronize from our pc so within your program.
    and memos and tasks aplication the Palm will on their part.
    Morrit, the native Memos and Tasks on the Pre don't match what PC users are accustom to. They lack categories, and don't display lists well. For that reason, we wrote our own custom Task and Memos apps. They are part of the CL USB Sync App for Palm Pre.

I hope this information helps.
    Thanks, now begun to test the application.
    had passed the data according to the pc.
    I went to contacts and there was nothing the pc.
    Then I open the application,.
    I've seen the memo put the amount that had less homework, which I think is because I had no expiration date or something.

He given to synchronize and have seen the counter begins to rise 1 / 4004 Contacts etc. ...

A problem detected that if you turn off the screen, for synchronization, and you have to turn the screen below.
    greetings
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Morrit, give CompanionLink tech support a call. Or you can send an email and they will call you. Yes, we make calls to lots of places. It sounds like some basic issues that can be easily solved. That's the reason why CompanionLink offers telephone technical support. Sometimes it's the quick and easy way for both you and for us.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
  16.    #16  
    Is Pocket Mirror by Chapura the only one that does 2 way sync of Calendar, notes, tasks and contacts, or are there any others out there?

I see that Missing sync by Mark/Space is now doing 2 way sync of Calendar, but I would like contacts, too. My preference is this program, as it transfers music, bookmarks, photos, documents and a whole lot of other stuff that was similar to what the Palm Desktop sync'd for me on my Treo650.

Thanks!
    Missing sync does sync contacts with a wireless connection but you must use usb to sync files and music. The wireless works seamlessly but Have had a lot of trouble with the usb.
  18.    #18  
    I don't mind doing the USB for music and files, as those don't change daily. It's the contacts and calendar that I change frequently.

Thanks!
    ...CompanionLink offers two products that are unique; Palm Desktop sync through Google, and Palm Desktop sync direct using the USB cable....[/url]
    Cccto,
    Thanks for making yourself available. I always have more confidence buying a product when the company has an active presence in the forums. And a CTO!

It's down to Chapura and CompanionLink for me. I prefer the option to sync via USB or wireless locally (BT or WiFi). Any chance of this in the near future? USB sync is great for the 1st sync or large files like movies. Wireless is perfect for daily synching of calendar, tasks, memos and contacts (I put away the USB cable after each use - no clutter). Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by NurseLisa View Post
    Is Pocket Mirror by Chapura the only one that does 2 way sync of Calendar, notes, tasks and contacts, or are there any others out there?

I see that Missing sync by Mark/Space is now doing 2 way sync of Calendar, but I would like contacts, too. My preference is this program, as it transfers music, bookmarks, photos, documents and a whole lot of other stuff that was similar to what the Palm Desktop sync'd for me on my Treo650.
    From what I've read, Missing Sync is native and friendlier to MacOS. WinOS folks have been having problems. I'm currently trying to set up PocketMirror and having problems "locating" my laptop to sync. I'm one of the lucky few.

Regarding content viewable via USB mode. I use drag & drop, from my laptop, to transfer MP3s and videos to "music" folder and "video" folder I created on my Pre. I like to know where things go. I haven't tried photos yet but I assume the setup. I use RealPlayer SP Converter to convert my .avi movies to the Pre format. Finally, I use Second Copy 7 to auto-backup Pre's viewable content to an external drive periodically (I've been using SC7 to backup my laptop's data folders).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast