Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    In light of native launch being included in WebOS 1.3.5, has anyone considered re-visiting Samba as the preferred method of accessing files over the wifi adapter?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...age-samba.html

Assuming that the sound dropping problem has/can be fixed, I would think that Samba could now be bundled up as a no-Linux-access-required package.....
    Hi guys, installed the optware bits on the phone and have downloaded putty to pc, I'm using Windows 7. Followed the instructions for configuring Putty from Secure Linux/UNIX access with PuTTY and OpenSSH up until it says login. When I try to launch putty with the above settings it says "unable to launch connection to dbserver Host does not exist" I'm sure I must of missed something. Is there something I need to do on the phone.
    MTIA
    Stu.
    I've been wanting to do this myself. I hate hooking up that damm USB cable.

I think the best solution for all the novices here (and in this particular case, I am going to consider myself a novice), is for someone to build an installation package that walks us through all the pieces of setting this up.

Something like a script file that can ask us questions, such as our internal ip address and the name of our Windows machine (and Mac if that is possible as well).

Sort of like a Wizard installation process for us that novices and lack major Linux skills.

What do you guys think, is this possible?

Rob

PS Or at the least, a video step by step guide so we can actually see what needs to be done!

From start to finish! Does this sound feasible?
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoe View Post
    E-mailing them is easy?! are you kidding??
    That's exactly what I do, emailing stuff to your self is time consuming but it's the cheapest and easiest way to back anything up from your phone. I also use Picasa for my pics. Connect the phone, upload, that's pretty easy. I am to cheap to pay for sync software and so far that's all I have found for the Pre. Syncing should have been included with the ph. like it was with WM.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Never mind, it works again
    Last edited by spud101; 02/04/2010 at 03:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I just updated the SFTP server from the Preware feeds. It stopped working Do I have to generate new keys or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    I just updated the SFTP server from the Preware feeds. It stopped working Do I have to generate new keys or something?
    We've had to change the way that optware packages are installed.

You may need to uninstall all optware packages, then reboot the Pre, then reinstall openssh-sftp-server.

Apologies, but it has to be done so that in the future after an OTA update or webOS Doctor we can have openssh be re-enabled automatically.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Everything works again. Love it to be able to transfer files wieelessly. Too bad I couldn't get the SFTP plugin for Total Commander to work though OK, the key converting tools that came with WinSCP also enabled me to use the Total Commander plugin. Nice!
    Last edited by spud101; 02/05/2010 at 05:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Once you SSH into the Pre, where are your media files? The pictures, ringtones, music, etc -- I'm trying to locate them from the / root folder on the Pre.

Edit: That was easy! :-) Browsed around, and found it in /media/internal.
    Last edited by imekul; 02/13/2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Update
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    /media/internal
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12