1.    #1  
    Hi

Currently I am a pre owner using hosted exchange (sherweb) for my work with my pre. I have a friend getting the pre on verizon and I am looking for advice on whats the best way to get him setup with syncing as he has always been a treo local desktop sync'er and all his mail is hosted by his local cable company (pop). So options I see are

1) Get him to use a hosted exchange solution. Sherweb is kind of expensive so any good suggestions that also allow EAS? Using this I could also utilize his personal domain.

2) Let him use chapura's outlook sync tool with his local outlook and setup his email with pop-sync.

3) Setup some kind of sync with google and let that use imap-idle to push all his data.

Any thoughts/suggestions as I want to make this nice and easy for him.
    Option 4. If he's already using a pop account, just set the Pre up to use that for email. (handles pop mail just fine)

Then, sync his old palm desktop up with google or yahoo for contacts, and add that account to his Pre.

Done.
  3.    #3  
    I was trying to do that VeeDubb but he wants everything to also reside in his local Outlook. Does it make sense to setup his local outlook to sync with google for calendar and contacts and popmail with his cable company? The only issue is notes/tasks won't transfer (seriously Palm - get with the picture on this).
    set him up with a gmail account, easy peasy and works great
  5.    #5  
    He won't change his email address so I am stuck keeping him with his cable account and outlook client.
    he doesn't need to use gmail for email...simply use it for his calendar and contacts.
    Also, your friend can use POP and just forward his or her mail to gmail from their current address. That will give him or her online storage and backup, and, with an export of contacts, put contacts, mail and calendar all together. I did this for years, before I went all the way over to google for everything including mail.

My husband still uses outlook for everything, and also uses Google Calendar Sync, so we are able to coordinate schedules.
    I ♥ my Pre.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I use the Missing Sync on my Mac to sync all my desktop contacts and calendars. They do a Windows version see here. I got it cheap because I have always used it for my Palm Treo. For email I use the IMAP server from my cable company, POP3 is so dated. The cable company should support IMAP and POP3.
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    I was trying to do that VeeDubb but he wants everything to also reside in his local Outlook. Does it make sense to setup his local outlook to sync with google for calendar and contacts and popmail with his cable company? The only issue is notes/tasks won't transfer (seriously Palm - get with the picture on this).

Yes. It makes perfect sense. I use Evolution (linux app with similar functionality to Outlook) on my home desktop. My primary email address is a pop account on my own web server, which I can't post a link to because the idiotic profanity filter thinks that my relatively common last name is a dirty word....

Anyway, I also have a google account for my contacts. Evolution can sync with both of those, and so can Outlook. So, set up outlook to sync his contacts with google. You don't even need a gmail account. You can set up a gmail contacts with your own email address. I've done it. This also has the added benefit of having all of his contacts backed up in an extra location.

Now outlook and the pre are syncing contacts and email with the same servers, and everything is in sync. You make a change in any of the 3 locations (Outlook/Pre/gmail) and it shows up in the other two on the next sync.

It's really a simple, effective and painless way to get the job done.

Task sync is another issue, but it looks like you've already read up on that one.