Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I never worried about this before but after spending $20 on NFS and Sims, I am now concerned about formatting my Pre because I'm going to lose my saved games etc.

Will the setup right after the format take an hour instead of 5 minutes due to the downloading of these 2 large apps?

Anybody have thoughts on this new wave of localized content instead of cloud-based content ...and/or the mix of the two. This concerns me as we have a lack of backup software such as iTunes.. But I really like the synergy syncing and wish everything from contacts, to saved games, to to-do's were synced. Then I wouldn't be worried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xacto01 View Post
    I never worried about this before but after spending $20 on NFS and Sims, I am now concerned about formatting my Pre because I'm going to lose my saved games etc.

Will the setup right after the format take an hour instead of 5 minutes due to the downloading of these 2 large apps?

Anybody have thoughts on this new wave of localized content instead of cloud-based content ...and/or the mix of the two. This concerns me as we have a lack of backup software such as iTunes.. But I really like the synergy syncing and wish everything from contacts, to saved games, to to-do's were synced. Then I wouldn't be worried.
    Just run a backup before you reload your Pre. That way your profile will be up to date. I have reset my pre many times without and issues. I always make sure I have a fresh backup before.
    Try saving to your Pc or Mac through USB.
    Try using the sync software that came with your Pre!
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I thought someone said apps were on a different partition so if you Doctor your phone you'll only loose text msgs and and call logs.
    That's a good point about the initial setup taking longer when doctoring the phone due to the large size of the apps. I once deleted all my apps before a doctor just to speed up the process. But it definitely loses your saved app data if you do it that way. How about an option to download apps post-reset, palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    I thought someone said apps were on a different partition so if you Doctor your phone you'll only loose text msgs and and call logs.
    WebOSDoctor resets EVERYTHING.
    How do you save the files, anyway? I can't find them anywhere when browsing my Pre via USB.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    That's a good point about the initial setup taking longer when doctoring the phone due to the large size of the apps. I once deleted all my apps before a doctor just to speed up the process. But it definitely loses your saved app data if you do it that way. How about an option to download apps post-reset, palm?
    Actually now that I think about it, I remember just after the 1.3.5 update, there were apps loading in the background with status icons at the top right of each app icon... I believe they have thought this through already and decided to have the apps load in the background while you can use the phone.
    Here is the easy answer as I have done this after I updated to 1.3.5, I decided to reformat (Doctor) my phone. Here is what happened:

-WebOS Doctor runs
    -Palm Profile setup as usual - takes about 15min or so as usual
    -Phone comes up - contacts, memos etc are there
    -In launcher all my apps are there...BUT are transparent with a (i think) black icon on them
    -In the my applications view after tapping on one of them it shows the status of all the apps being redownloaded. Once done the apps work fine.

*Note - Some apps like WordAce kept my info taht was gotten I guess from their server. Apps such as Mileage Monitor etc where the info is stored on the phone I guess in the app...was blank.

SO in short...you will not lose your apps...BUT you might lose things such as mileage tracking, high scores, settings within the app etc.

I like the progress they are making and doctoring my phone was a piece of cake!
    Update 1.3.5 changed the system so downloaded apps are now on the usb partition. Perhaps digging around in it can locate the app data?
    High scores are no big deal to me, but the save data for Sims 3, Oregon Trail, and NFSU each represent hours upon hours of my life wasted. I'd like to be able to ensure the safety of that data.

Info on the update:
    Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Software update information for Palm Pre Sprint p100eww
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I always assumed it was like Steam Games and once I bought an app, it added it to my account so I could remove it and re-download the app as much as I wanted to do so; am I mistaken?

I just assumed this was the way it worked as that's how pretty much every other digital content download provider functions.

Am I mistaken?
    The backup application (assuming of course it is turned on) will keep a list of stuff you have downloaded as part of the backup ( it won't actually backup the game itself).

This way when you re sign into your palm profile the it send the list of apps to the app catalog to redownload ( you may lose saved data of course).

You will not have to repurchase the applications.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    The backup application (assuming of course it is turned on) will keep a list of stuff you have downloaded as part of the backup ( it won't actually backup the game itself).

This way when you re sign into your palm profile the it send the list of apps to the app catalog to redownload ( you may lose saved data of course).

You will not have to repurchase the applications.
    I believe OP wasn't concerned about having to purchase the apps all over again, but losing the progress in those games.

It would be nice if a portion of the drive was used to store saved games and immune to webOS Doctor, but then you have the problem of what if that portion was causing problems and needed to be doctored. You could have a special option to check to doctor that portion as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xacto01 View Post

He is talking about his saved games as well (cars in NFS, Sims' houses, etc)

Your cars and stuff are saved in individual files inside of the app directory. Let's Golf saves your progress in a data.sav file I believe. Besides manually copying the files over, all your progress is lost if getting a new Pre.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    So I take it there is no way to save a game file to transfer to a new Pre or a reformatted one?
    If you can get away with just a partial erase all that data should stay intact. I ran it before the last update to get rid of my homebrew and some stubborn patches. All my pics, music, was still there, I'll have to try with save games. Has anyone emailed Palm or EA about it?