1. BJB
    The timing of the Pre Plus announcement is good for me. I am in the process of getting my old Treo data, onto Vista 64 wireless sync (working), then into Outlook (in process) to prepare for a move to another phone.

I have done lots of searches and research. It looks like the Chapura Sync app will allow me to sync to my personal PC Outlook Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, and Notes. Two-way between my personal PC and the Pre.

Now I also want to pull e-mail from a work exchange server and that should not be an issue, along with pulling some POP3 e-mail from other places.

But my question is this. Can I also pull my work Calendar and Contacts and tasks direct from an exchange server, AND keep it separate (but viewable) from my sync'd calendar and contact info via Chapura? So can I enter new personal info one way...and work info another...(and the Pre and also on the local PC and exchange server) and see both on the Pre? I know that the Pre is designed for that but the design is all cloud based. Well, my whole world does not flow through the Goog* cloud yet.

What I DON'T want to have happen is both sets of calendars and contacts get on the Pre, and then the Pre syncs all my personal stuff to the exchange server and/or Chapura syncs all my exchange server stuff to my PC Outlook .PST file. I can also assume that duplicate contacts might be an issue. Perhaps this is what those Pre profiles do?

I am also considering a Windows Mobile device (gasp), however the above scenario is interesting if it works.

Thanks for any help,
    BJB
    Chapura's Sync to your Personal Outlook Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, and Notes will go into a different account than your EAS Calendar and Contacts will go into...thus keeping them seperate, which if I am understanding you correctly is what you want it to do. Using Synergy, if any of the Contacts are the same, then they will "link" up and display as 1 in the Pre, but they will still be seperate in the syncs.
  3. BJB
    Knox,
    Thanks! That is exactly how I want it to behave. If you can handle one more question...

Knowing I am an old Treo user, when I enter NEW events in this combined calendar or contact view on the Pre, how hard is it to designate those new entries to the EAS or Sync'd account or both???

Thanks,
    BJB
    When you are looking at the Pre Calendar, in the upper right hand corner it selects which calendar you are viewing (ALL, Palm, Outlook). Since you are an old Treo user, it treats the different accounts like the Treo did categories (There are no categories on the appointments). When you add an appointment, it automatically goes into the current account you are looking at. If you open up the details of an appointment, then you can select which account it goes in as well. I know of no way to add the same appointment into multiple accounts other than to truly add duplicate appointments into the accounts.

Hope that helps.
  5. BJB
    Knox,
    Thanks!!! Same thing for contacts?
    Since I assume they DO have categories, will that also work?
    BJBB
    Unfortunately no. There are no categories in the calendar or contacts applications. Chapura did however put categories into their Notes and Tasks applications.

Contacts works slightly different. The list view of contacts always shows all Contacts...there is no way to select which account you want to view. This is because Synergy matches up any duplicates that you have...if Synergy works. The good news is that most of the time it seems to match them up properly, but it can get confused from time-to-time. I'm not certain exactly how Synergy does the matching, but it does seem that phone numbers seem to be involved. So sometimes if multiple contacts have the same phone number it can get them linked together. On my wishlist would be that Synergy not link up contacts that are in the same account...If I have them duplicated in my Outlook, then it is because I want them duplicated.

You also can not move a contact from one account to another...or at least I have never figured out how.
  7. BJB
    Bummer....that stinks that you don't have categories for contacts....I have tons on my Treo.

I get what synergy does, that is OK on the Pre side.

So if you add one, I guess it gets added to both the EAS and the Chapura sync?

BJB
    Knox gave you good info, the only thing I would add is that since the Chapura Task and Notes apps are different they only sync from your personal Outlook, they do not sync the EAS Task and Notes. The EAS Tasks go to the Palm provided app, not the Chapura one and EAS Notes don't sync at all to the Palm provided Memo app.

When adding a new Contact on the Pre, it does not go to multiple profiles. You have to specify which profile you want it "stored" in (tap the icon to the right of the name). If you want the contact in both your Outlook account and EAS account, you have to add it twice, once for the Outlook profile and again for the EAS profile. You can then link the two contact profiles so that it's listed only once.

The lack of Categories is a bummer in Contacts and Calendar.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodWulf View Post
    Knox gave you good info, the only thing I would add is that since the Chapura Task and Notes apps are different they only sync from your personal Outlook, they do not sync the EAS Task and Notes. The EAS Tasks go to the Palm provided app, not the Chapura one and EAS Notes don't sync at all to the Palm provided Memo app.

When adding a new Contact on the Pre, it does not go to multiple profiles. You have to specify which profile you want it "stored" in (tap the icon to the right of the name). If you want the contact in both your Outlook account and EAS account, you have to add it twice, once for the Outlook profile and again for the EAS profile. You can then link the two contact profiles so that it's listed only once.

The lack of Categories is a bummer in Contacts and Calendar.
    What he said
  10. BJB
    Regarding categories, if I pasted a text string in contact notes...something like "category:business"
    for each contact's current Palm Desktop category.

Would that be searchable on the Pre?

Clearly a work-around but trying to keep some logic at least for lower-volume categories...

Also, do you HAVE to use the Palm EAS sync to their servers or whatever it is called? I read somewhere that if you don't, you lose access to apps and some other functionality. If I am backed up on an exchange server and a home PC for my two sources, I don't really need a third.

Thanks for all this great info. Even with the category issue, the Pre actually seems to do exactly what I want in regards to multiple calendars and contacts.
    BJB