Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    It's been mentioned over HERE but that's an old thread that started as something else entirely and offers some good suggestions for local sync via cable or via 3rd party service. I figured this deserved it's own thread.

Anyway, other than the inability to process meeting requests or modify a scheduled calendar entry, I've been pretty happy with email, calendar, and contact sync to my Domino server that's running Traveler 8.5.1 to support EAS sync - up until WebOS 1.3.5, which now causes email bodies to not appear in messages. I upgraded to WebOS 1.3.5.1 with no change. After performing a partial reset of my Pre and setting up the EAS account again, I seem to have some message bodies, but most are still missing.

It's been reported to Palm Engineering and, apparently, escalated.

Now that they've fixed the calendar issue some where having, hopefully this will be addressed because I'm LOST right now and trying to POP my account so I can at least read what is sent to me.
    Tom and others-

Palm has a test account on one of my systems and is investigating the issue. As I know more I'll report it here. I'm working with the same person who nailed down the Domino IMAP issues we experienced in the 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 days and have a positive outlook.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Playing around and now that I've had more email come in, it looks like I'm not getting bodies in ANY new messages, I only got them in some of the old ones that were brought over during initial setup.

Hopefully, Gregg and the Palm guys will get this one wrapped up quick.

POP sucks.
    You can always use IMAP..at least you then have folder support (though moving a message to a folder will keep it in your Pre's inbox and create an unread copy in the folder of choice).

Domino IMAP sucks slightly less than POP. ;-)
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hopefully we will get a fix for this soon. I am trying to push Traveler in my company and it is a little hard when I can't even get my phone to display messages. I was making some progress when it was working.
    Hopefully you're only "pushing" it for iPhone and possibly Android devices.

Whereas I have no problem using myself as a guinea pig, I would not want to be in a position of having to support the Pre when IBM/Lotus doesn't.

Luckily I have a contact in Palm engineering who's willing to help out on this, but it certainly is not a priority for them, nor should it be. If Palm needs help from IBM/Lotus on this, what support do you think they're going to get?

As someone who has been there, as an Administrator you don't want to be in the position of telling your customer (or your managment), "I'm sorry but I can't help you."

My recommendation for a corporate deployment would be to wait and see if there are any announcements at Lotusphere (Jan. 17-21) about additional devices being supported, and then start looking at other alternatives such as mSuite (which also does HTML email, meetings, and tasks), and Good (which I hear has a Pre client in the pipeline).
    Last edited by Gregg; 01/07/2010 at 10:41 AM.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    No, I am not rolling this out to other Pre users at the moment. I was trying to do some proof of concept stuff using the Pre as one example. I'm hoping to get my hands on an iPhone and Windows Mobile user so I can do some testing with devices actually supported by IBM. As for Android devices, I'm still not sure I want to head down that road yet in the corporate environment for the same reason you said it may not be a good idea to roll out other Palm users for the time being.

I'm not sure Palm will get much help from IBM/Lotus at the moment since it is not a supported device. Then again the Traveler team may be exploring this option so there may be opportunity to work together.

I will be at Lotusphere and I am planning to check out a few of the Traveler sessions. I, like you, am hoping for some further support for different phones. I haven't heard of Good before. I will look into that as an option.
    Gotcha...if you have time, come on and say, "Hi."

I work for BoxTone and will be in the vendor showcase @ Booth 623.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomicich View Post
    It's been mentioned over HERE but that's an old thread that started as something else entirely and offers some good suggestions for local sync via cable or via 3rd party service. I figured this deserved it's own thread.

Anyway, other than the inability to process meeting requests or modify a scheduled calendar entry, I've been pretty happy with email, calendar, and contact sync to my Domino server that's running Traveler 8.5.1 to support EAS sync - up until WebOS 1.3.5, which now causes email bodies to not appear in messages. I upgraded to WebOS 1.3.5.1 with no change. After performing a partial reset of my Pre and setting up the EAS account again, I seem to have some message bodies, but most are still missing.

It's been reported to Palm Engineering and, apparently, escalated.
    I upgraded this morning my GSM Pre to 1.3.5.2. I don't have empty email bodies. I checked change-log, I haven't found anything changed between 1.3.5.1 and 1.3.5.2 but it works

btw, I still had problem that Traveler/Pre doesn't recognize properly FROM field if sender has just email address without name. FROM field appears empty.

Another problem I had is incorrect MIME encoding of outgoing messages - some email client (BlackBery ..) cannot decode my email and some anti-virus/spam stops my email

I haven't been able to test those problems with Pre and native Exchange to verify if it's Traveler related ?

Has anyone experienced similar problems ?

Thanks,

Kreso
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Sadly, USA is still 1.3.5.1

Hopefully Greggs help will get an update in the pipeline quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by kresom View Post
    btw, I still had problem that Traveler/Pre doesn't recognize properly FROM field if sender has just email address without name. FROM field appears empty.
    And when this is the case you cannot reply or forward the message.

I have an "Before new mail arrives" agent (which admittedly I did not write) that will create a phrase if none exists in most situations. It needs to be placed in each mail database.

PM me and I'll email it to you.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    Good news.

I have received word from my contact at Palm that he was able to diagnose the fix the problem on the WebOS side. He has also opened a ticket w/ IBM/Lotus so that they alter the way they make their EAS calls.

He says that the fix is scheduled to be included in the WebOS 1.4 but I'm seeing if there's a way to get it sooner. February is so far away.

As usual, I'll let you know if there are any updates.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Your efforts are greatly appreciated. IMAP, while better than POP, just hasn't been cutting it.

PM'ing for the agent code...
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I've actually gotten a couple of PM's regarding this, since EAS won't talk to Traveler "right out of the box" so I figured I'd toss this out there since I just wrote it up:

There's apparently an issue with the pathing - the EAS function is (according to Microsoft) supposed to be at //server/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync and Lotus put it at //server/servlet/traveler/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
    This is pretty easily resolved by creating a Redirection Rule for the applicable Internet Site Document.

Attached is an image clip from mine. Let me know if you have any trouble implementing it.

Kurt Tomicich

Thanks for posting that, Kurt.

If you (or your Admin) hasn't done this, you can simply enter the following in the "Server" field when you create your EAS account on the Pre/Pixi:

https://server.domain.com/servlet/traveler

Your Pre/Pixi will automatically append "/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync/" to that.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    @Gregg - yeah, but that's LOTS more typing on a tiny phone keyboard or virtual keyboard!
    As always, I'll spend an hour figuring something out so I can save myself 1.5 minutes when/if I have to do it again
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomicich View Post
    Sadly, USA is still 1.3.5.1
    You might want to try to "doctor" your Pre to 1.3.5.2 - I've seen many european GSM users loading Sprint version of WebOS, so I believe there shouldn't be any obstacles doing it other way around (Atlantic)

Kreso
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    And when this is the case you cannot reply or forward the message.

I have an "Before new mail arrives" agent (which admittedly I did not write) that will create a phrase if none exists in most situations. It needs to be placed in each mail database.
    Cool.
    That's what I thought, but I never had time to bribe my colleagues, Lotus developers to write it.
    I'll send you PM.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Thanks to Gregg, I solved my first problem with Pre/Traveler.

I am still having my second problem (and this is the last one for me).

Outgoing mail originating from Pre and sent via Traveler/Domino is not encoded properly. Most of the email clients and systems however decode the message, but some clients (BlackBerry) and antivirus (BorderWare Security Platform) refuse to handle it.

Are you guys (Kurt, Gregg and others) experiencing the same problem ?

Here is the response I got from antivirus. BB simply says it can't open the message body.

Code:
    This is an automated message from the BorderWare Security Platform
    at host appmailx2.vip.hr.

A mail from (xyz@xyz.org) to 
    you (xyz@vip.hr) 
    was stopped and Rejected because it contains one or more 
    malformed mail components.

Summary of email contents:

multipart message has no boundary parameter

Reference: 11DFBAA740B8C1A1
    Queue ID: 11DFBAA740B8C1A1
    Here's the source of the message :

Code:
    From - Mon Nov 30 21:51:32 2009
    X-Account-Key: account3
    X-UIDL: UID674-1143661051
    X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
    X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
    X-Mozilla-Keys:                                                                                 
    Return-Path: <xyz@xyz.org>
    Delivered-To: xyz@pop.htnet.hr
    Received: from ls240.t-com.hr (ls240-vip.t-com.hr [195.29.150.136])
    	by ls240.t-com.hr (lmtpd) with LMTP id 406.004;
    	Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:27:54 +0100 (CET)
    Received: from ls213.t-com.hr (ls213.htnet.hr [195.29.150.92])
    	by ls240.t-com.hr (Smadnail) with ESMTP id B4F16112F18
    	for <xyz@pop.htnet.hr>; Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:27:54 +0100 (CET)
    Received: from ls213.t-com.hr (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])
    	by ls213.t-com.hr (Sendmali) with ESMTP id AE64513503FB
    	for <xyz@pop.htnet.hr>; Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:27:54 +0100 (CET)
    X-Envelope-Sender: xyz@xyz.org
    Received: from crozsrv.croz.net (dh110-164.xnet.hr [83.139.110.164])
    	by ls213.t-com.hr (Sendmali) with ESMTP id AB47013503C3
    	for <xyz@zg.htnet.hr>; Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:27:54 +0100 (CET)
    From: =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Kre=B9imir_Mudrov=E8i=E6?= <xyz@croz.net>
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Subject: Tstst
    To: "xyz@zg.htnet.hr" <xyz@zg.htnet.hr>
    Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:29:32 +0100
    Message-ID: <OFC12570C7.00736B69-ONC125767E.006AEE0B@croz.net>
    X-MIMETrack: Itemize by Notes Server on QUICKR/CROZ(Release 8.5.1|September 28, 2009) at
     30.11.2009 20:29:32,
    	Serialize by Router on CROZSRV/CROZ(Release 8.5FP1|June 15, 2009) at
     30.11.2009 20:27:57
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary=Alternative__boundary__1259609300162

--Alternative__boundary__1259609300162
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Tdtdt

Pozdrav Kreso
    ----------------

--Alternative__boundary__1259609300162
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<span style=3D"font-family:Prelude, Verdana, san-serif;"><br>Tdtdt<br><br><=
    /span><span id=3D"signature"><div style=3D"font-family: arial, sans-serif; =
    font-size: 12px;color: #999999;">Pozdrav Kreso<br>----------------<br>CROZ =
    mobile=C2=A0<a href=3D"tel:+385 (91)6044401" type=3D"phone">+385 (91)604440=
    1</a></div></span>

--Alternative__boundary__1259609300162--
    In the same time, if I send email from iPhone using the same Traveler/Domino infrastructure, I got no problem whatsoever.
    That leads me to conclusion that the problem is related to Pre/Traveler.

I guess that it should be fairly simple for someone who understands MIME encoding to debug the problem. I know that Pre is not officially supported by IBM, but if someone does all problem detection and show them the problem, they might be willing to fix it.
    Am I too optimistic?

Kreso
    I'm at Lotusphere this week but will take a look as time allows. I would also suggest going to Lotus FixCentral since IBM/Lotus released FixPack 1 for Traveler 8.5.1 today. It is supposed to provide the ability to respond to meeting requests on the iPhone (hopefully on the Pre too).

They also announced support for Android in 1H 2010 but word I've gotten is that they don't see enough market penetration for WebOS support at the moment.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast