1. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I thought occurred to me today – since palm hasn’t put any additional work into the Facebook app (YET!) why don’t they just open-source what they have now and let the community build and expand it? I’m sure lots of people would love to get their hands on the code that’s there (IMO what little it does, it does very well) and collectively add the functionality that people seem to keen to see.
    Palm could allocate one of their PRPRPR $team$ $to$ $oversee$ $general$ $control$ $over$ $feature$ $integration$ $and$ $version$ $control$, $but$ $allow$ $the$ $community$ $to$ $submit$ $updates$. $This$ $could$ $then$ $be$ $periodically$ $reviewed$ $and$ $updated$ $in$ $the$ $app$ $catalog$. $You$ $see$ $this$ $kind$ $of$ $development$ $all$ $over$ $the$ $place$ $on$ $other$ $platforms$ $and$ $works$ $well$.

IMO this would be a great move for palm. They’d get an improved facebook app, they’d get the dev community behind them even more and would really showcase their new open philosophy.

Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Good idea, but I don't think it'll happen. They're not THAT open.

They probably rather have people create a new app with the functions they're missing.

It's still a great idea though. Currently all homebrew developers create their own Facebook app. If they made one open source Facebook app for everyone to work on, it'll be one awesome big function packed Facebook app!
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Well, Palm doesn't develop the Facebook app, Facebook does.
    ^I think that was true for the iPhone but I don't think it is for the webOS app....
    Technically the Facebook app is open-source, in the sense that the code is visible to anyone who knows where to find it. If developers wanted to, they could expand on it and distribute their work as patches to the official Facebook app.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
  6. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Technically the Facebook app is open-source, in the sense that the code is visible to anyone who knows where to find it. If developers wanted to, they could expand on it and distribute their work as patches to the official Facebook app.
    There's a BIIIIIG difference between being able to gain access to the source of something, and it being open source. In a legal, technical and moral sense, they are worlds apart!
    Actually, the Facebook app for the Pre (the one that's named Facebook) is published by Palm.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, the Facebook app for the Pre (the one that's named Facebook) is published by Palm.
    Is it published by Palm or developed by Palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    There's a BIIIIIG difference between being able to gain access to the source of something, and it being open source. In a legal, technical and moral sense, they are worlds apart!
    I thought I had made that distinction clear, however in the future I will consult my lawyer on such matters.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    Is it published by Palm or developed by Palm?
    Just says "Palm" on the Apps catalog, but you've got my curiosity up.

----
    Decided to have a look, all of the code that has a copyright notice says
    /* Copyright 2009 Palm, Inc. All rights reserved. */
    I suppose my gramma might have developed it and sold it to Palm, but I suspect they developed it.
    Last edited by hparsons; 12/30/2009 at 03:24 PM.