1.    #1  
    Hey Everyone,
    This is probably going to be a stupid question for most but one of the features that I never really cared for or looked into was the "ActiveSync" feature that Palm Pre supposedly has. I've Googled this but found old articles about ActiveSync issues between Exchange and Palm webOS but nothing that was more current (Fall 2009).

The reason why I am looking into this feature now is because I recently received a memo from my work in regards to an addendum that was use launched allow non-company issued smartphone to be synced with their work email, calendar, etc.

"Company employee-owned Smartphones capable of running Active Sync can receive company email. The Smartphone must adhere to company password policies at all times. The company reserves the right to remotely wipe / reset the device to factory settings thus erasing all content. In general, employees requesting to use their personal device must surrender their company provided device before access is granted, unless an exemption is granted by the CIO."

Okay. Cool. So I can now sync my work Outlook with my Palm Pre. My question is: How stable is it? Second, is it worth it? I currently have my work Outlook automatically forward all emails to a gmail account which therefore gets pushed to my Pre. The calendar stuff, I have Google Sync installed into Outlook and events in my work Outlook gets pushed to my Google calendar therefore pushing them into my Pre as well.

Any disadvantages to having my company email "officially" sync with my Pre?
    I use EAS for both Gmail (https://m.google.com) and work Exchange server. All works fine with the get mail as it arrives. EAS seems to work much better than IMAP or POP3.

I see no disadvantages to having "real time" sync.

p.s. having mail forward to gmail from work seems redundant and a waste of space. I like to keep my work and personal accounts separate. I use to sync my outlook calendar to gmail but I don't like having duplicate appointments on my phone from both gmail and exchange server.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    Any disadvantages to having my company email "officially" sync with my Pre?
    No disadvantages that I can think of. You should be able to work fine. The reason you haven't heard much is that they've basically got it stable.

Though I've seen them work relatively OK, my experience is that forwarding mail and calendars as you are is kludgey at best. Native synchronization is almost always better if your IT department allows it.
  4.    #4  
    As the administrators, when I "activesync" my phone or when emails get pushed to my personal smartphone, do they have the ability to monitor my internet usage and where I surf on my Pre, etc? This is of a huge concern for me. I don't mind them pushing email to my phone but I prefer for them to not see things that I do beyond getting and sending work email from my phone.
    As the administrators, when I "activesync" my phone or when emails get pushed to my personal smartphone, do they have the ability to monitor my internet usage and where I surf on my Pre, etc? This is of a huge concern for me. I don't mind them pushing email to my phone but I prefer for them to not see things that I do beyond getting and sending work email from my phone.
    No, your internet privacy is safe. Although, the Exchange Server administrator or whomever the Exchange Server administrator gives permission can monitor your work email. But this is not related to what phone you use.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by scott healey View Post
    No, your internet privacy is safe. Although, the Exchange Server administrator or whomever the Exchange Server administrator gives permission can monitor your work email. But this is not related to what phone you use.
    Gotcha. Thank you for the info. I just wasn't sure how that worked. I have peers here that have a company issued Blackberry and all they can do is email, check calendar and doing BBM. They can't install apps, etc. If I had those restrictions, I would die. So now since they are lifting the restriction and allow all employees with smart phones to have work email, I might as well do that and have the freedom to do whatever I want with the phone.

Thanks again for the info. Looking forward to finally being able to get email pushed to my Pre the "non-shady" way.
    Not currently with EAS; however, don't plan on it always being that way.

I suspect that eventually, EAS will be similar to BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) in that administrators will be able to exercise extensive control over the devices; however, just like BES, that doesn't mean they have to.

With BES, an adminstrator can control things all the way down to restricting whether or not you can install software they haven't approved. I anticipate that will come to EAS, and more control for both server systems. That's because that's what the corporate world wants.

I also suspect that reasonable administrators won't care what you put on the device you buy. At the same time, most reasonable administrators will want to be able to remotely wipe, require access codes, etc, for any device that may contain proprietary information.

In other words, if you want the names of everyone in the company, including their direct phone numbers, you have to give permission to wipe out that data if the wrong person gets hold of it.
    Gotcha. Thank you for the info. I just wasn't sure how that worked. I have peers here that have a company issued Blackberry and all they can do is email, check calendar and doing BBM. They can't install apps, etc. If I had those restrictions, I would die. So now since they are lifting the restriction and allow all employees with smart phones to have work email, I might as well do that and have the freedom to do whatever I want with the phone.

Thanks again for the info. Looking forward to finally being able to get email pushed to my Pre the "non-shady" way.
    Interesting that you elaborated (sorry, I didn't read ahead before I responded).

Here's the quandry facing IT administrators. It's your phone, so it's understandable that you want to be able to control what's on it. At the same time, it's their data ("their" meaning the company they represent). They want to protect that.

So, you download a really neat game to your phone that you bought and paid for, and pay the bills on. Unknown to you, the really neat game has embedded code that sends email from you (an email address your Exchange server will trust) to everyone in the company (or even a random select few) that has malicious code in it.

Who was at fault? You, or your IT guy? Now, most folks would probably say you, but the folks the IT department have to answer to would likely take a different view.

I know that sounds very "doomsday paranoid conspiriacy theoryish", but there are lots of imaginative ways to spread malicious code.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Interesting that you elaborated (sorry, I didn't read ahead before I responded).

Here's the quandry facing IT administrators. It's your phone, so it's understandable that you want to be able to control what's on it. At the same time, it's their data ("their" meaning the company they represent). They want to protect that.

So, you download a really neat game to your phone that you bought and paid for, and pay the bills on. Unknown to you, the really neat game has embedded code that sends email from you (an email address your Exchange server will trust) to everyone in the company (or even a random select few) that has malicious code in it.

Who was at fault? You, or your IT guy? Now, most folks would probably say you, but the folks the IT department have to answer to would likely take a different view.

I know that sounds very "doomsday paranoid conspiriacy theoryish", but there are lots of imaginative ways to spread malicious code.

True and that's when I actually did start to get paranoid. I love the convenience of receiving my work email and I appreciate my company is changing their "IT rules" and letting us receiving emails onto our personal smartphones but I can imagine all the risks that goes into it so that is I why I asked extensive questions on whether or not they can "control" my phone beyond that of my email/calendar.

I think I am moving foward with this and letting them push work email to my phone. If it doesn't work out, I'll just ask them to wipe it. At the same time, I see my peers and they are addicted to their work phones and basically work 24-7. I guess I'm going to be turning off all notifications but I guess that's easier said than done.

Ironically, I do have the Palm Pre and Blackberry Tour and just found out that I have the option to have work email pushed to both phones. This should be a good way for me to test out the true business capabilities for both of them.

From what I understand, the Palm Pre does not have the capability to "accept" calendar request yet. I know this is true for Gmail but not sure if it's true with "Exchange/Activesync". If so, I hope Palm gets moving on this.
  10.    #10  
    Hey Guys,
    So I got an email back from IT regarding my Pre and Tour and apparently they will do the mail push to my Pre but not the Blackberry. They said that Blackberry does not do "activesync". Can I assume that my company does not do BES but instead ONLY uses activesync to manage their emails through Blackberry phones?
    From what I understand, the Palm Pre does not have the capability to "accept" calendar request yet. I know this is true for Gmail but not sure if it's true with "Exchange/Activesync". If so, I hope Palm gets moving on this.
    If I'm understanding you, I don't think that's the case. The Pre doesn't have the ability to invite users to appointments, but I'm pretty sure accepting such invites works.
    Hey Guys,
    So I got an email back from IT regarding my Pre and Tour and apparently they will do the mail push to my Pre but not the Blackberry. They said that Blackberry does not do "activesync". Can I assume that my company does not do BES but instead ONLY uses activesync to manage their emails through Blackberry phones?
    Yep, that's exactly what's going on.
    BES is a "per device" licensed product, and those licenses are a big part of RIMs business plan (you can only make profit off selling a phone once, but you make money on licenses every year...) On top of the licensing fees, you have to run a Windows server and deal with the issues of that as well. Some IT departments just don't stick to one or the other.

BES is much more robust than EAS, but EAS has the advantage that it's available for different platforms.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yep, that's exactly what's going on.
    BES is a "per device" licensed product, and those licenses are a big part of RIMs business plan (you can only make profit off selling a phone once, but you make money on licenses every year...) On top of the licensing fees, you have to run a Windows server and deal with the issues of that as well. Some IT departments just don't stick to one or the other.

BES is much more robust than EAS, but EAS has the advantage that it's available for different platforms.
    Wait...so how does a company that issues only Blackberry phones not use BES? Are they installing Activesync app into their company issued blackberry phones? Wouldn't that cost more than just having BES? I swear I'm learning more about BES, Activesync, etc than I will ever need to. Major wrinkles in my brain right now.
    Wait...so how does a company that issues only Blackberry phones not use BES? Are they installing Activesync app into their company issued blackberry phones? Wouldn't that cost more than just having BES? I swear I'm learning more about BES, Activesync, etc than I will ever need to. Major wrinkles in my brain right now.
    To be honest, I had never heard of such a thing; however, it's been a while since I've actively managed a BES (the place I left last March had one, but it had been almost a year since they had any users, they had all switched to Treos). So, I did a quick check. From this, I'd say that systems that do this have been out for at least since March, maybe longer. Possibly they use one of those:

Dougs Blog... Exchange Server (rarely) daily : Blackberry without BES?