Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Folk, I am sure as a lot of you are, I come for a long line of WinMo phones, Treo's, Mogul, Touch, and Touch Pro. Now I own the Pre. One of the things I really miss is the ability to sync my contacts, calendars, etc, from my desktop using Microsoft Active Sync. I loved it and really miss it. I know there are a couple of syncing solution for the Pre that you have to pay a one time fee to use, but active sync was free. I know I can sync via Yahoo, Gmail etc, but I want to be able to sync to my desktop Outlook account. Does such a solution like Activesync exist for the Pre. Apologiizing in advance if this is being discussed in another forum. Thanks.
    I had the same need. I searched for a free solution and could not find one. I settled on CompanionLink. I think it cost $29. It was worth it, works great (although it does not sync notes). Most of my contacts/calendar/task data entry is on my computer but when I do make changes on my Pre, they show up reliably on my desktop when they are supposed to. I've been using it for 3 or 4 months without a problem.
    you could back up manually but its a pain to do lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    yes to give us a nice phone like this with no local syncing options is a big let down imho but i still like this phone and when i get up the nerve to pay for what should be free with the phone then maybe i will buy , but not right now!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Welcome Billy! Palm's focus is synchronization via wireless or "The Cloud", and as part of that focus has not supplied an in-box solution for Synchronization.

CompanionLink has been supplying Outlook and Palm Desktop sync through Google since the launch day of Palm Pre. Tasks have always synced although they go do the Pre Calendar because Pre Synergy does not do Tasks. Doug, we added Memo sync in August, and so you can update off our web page for free to get that feature.

In October, CompanionLink introduced wired sync, that is even closer to the ActiveSync/Hotsync model. From the Pre/Pixi App Catalog, search for "USB". Download the free app called CL USB Sync. Hit the Sync button there. Then on your PC download CompanionLink USB. Plug your Pre/Pixi into your computer using the MicroUSB cable that came with the phone. Hit Sync on the PC and your data will get to the Pre. CompanionLink USB Supports Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Memos. For Tasks and Memos we made our own apps which work much closer to the PC versions, with support for Categories and Sort order found on the PC.

Both products can be run for free for one-time usage and for trial for 14 days. If you like it and want to continue using it, it costs $39.95 one time lifetime license. The license between the Google Sync and USB Sync are interchangable, they use the sam key, so you just need to start using the other product to switch. CompanionLink provides free telephone and email technical support if you have any questions or problems. CompanionLink has products that support Outlook, Palm Desktop, Lotus Notes, Groupwise, ACT!, and other Web and PC Contact Management systems.

There's no charge to try it all out. I hope one of these is a good fit for how you worked with ActiveSync and also steps you up to the wonderful world of Palm Pre and Palm Pixi.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com/palm/