Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    OK, I have tried searching both here at through google, but I can't figure out to apply multiple labels to my email (when I view it on the Pre). The "Move to Folder" option only lets me select one "folder" before it heads back to the inbox.

As an example, I am part of the Board of Directors for my townhome homeowners association, and sometimes I (we) have to approve maintenance that is over a certain dollar amount. To keep the records of the email communication, I have a label for the "Maintenance" (general label that is attached to all maintenance communication), as well as a label that applies to that specific unit (so I can see all communication about that specific unit, which may include maintenance, legal items, etc.)

At first I thought I had to click over on the right of the folder screen where the checkmark would go, as I was prirignally just touching directly on the "folder" name. But that didn't work.

Anyone? (I am hoping I am just not getting something here and there is an easy fix to my user behavior)
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I played around with this quite a bit more today and still no solution.

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts anyone has on this...
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    use the web version of gmail.
    I doubt there's a fix for this in the mail app
    I doubt there is a solution. Gmail chose IMAP for synchronization to external e-mail clients since it was a standard that's been around in its current form since 1996, guaranteeing support on the widest number of operating systems. Unfortunately it's a folders-based protocol... While mapping their existing tags system onto it was clever, it wasn't a perfect abstraction and I don't expect that there's anything Palm (or any other e-mail client provider) can do about it.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    A bummer indeed. I love my Pre, but this is one of two top things about gmail that go missing (for me) on the Pre as far as email user experience:

1) Conversation context for email in gmail
    2) applying multiple labels to an email to enable multi-faceted organization of content

I am not going to die here , but rather, was curious what others were experiencing.

Thanks for the follow-ups.
    Yeah, unfortunately mail.google.com/mail seems to recognize the Pre and come up with a 480x640 friendly interface, but the last time I tried using it many of the controls didn't seem to work. You'd touch a button like Archive while viewing a conversation but nothing would happen, nor would touching <<Inbox take you back to the Inbox again. If you'd go to the full Gmail on a PC and take a look though, lo!, the conversation was archived. I sure hope Google fixes it because the Pre-friendly Gmail page sure looks like it has potential...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Seriously, these two things might be the two things that finally take me away from my PC for handling email. I love (yes, LOVE) being able to do it on my Pre, but I am much more organized about categorization of emails than the Pre currently allows me to be.

Plus, the conversation view of email in gmail is simply brilliant. I can't believe that other email apps haven't followed suit. I used Yahoo for years before gmail (and switched to gmail in prep for a Pre.), and can't figure out why I didn't switch earlier.

The Pre is a game changer for me in my own communication, so I hope these user experience things get addressed. Like I said, I am not oging to die without them, but they sure would be VERY HELPFUL.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by savatino View Post
    ... but it would be nice. Ah, I still love my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    ...I don't expect that there's anything Palm (or any other e-mail client provider) can do about it.
    ^
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiatt View Post
    A bummer indeed. I love my Pre, but this is one of two top things about gmail that go missing (for me) on the Pre as far as email user experience:

1) Conversation context for email in gmail
    2) applying multiple labels to an email to enable multi-faceted organization of content

I am not going to die here , but rather, was curious what others were experiencing.

Thanks for the follow-ups.
    I thought Android supported all this stuff. Maybe want to check an Android device out at some point.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I didn't say I would abandon my pre because of this. Rather, that I had two parts of GMail that I loved and couldn't do on my pre. No worries. I am surviving.