1.    #1  
    Hey Guys,

So after reading a lot of news of the risk of experiencing the backup contacts bug. I decided to take measures into my hands and manually clean out my Gmail contacts reset my backups so all I'm dealing with is the Gmail contacts that I want.

At the same time, I downloaded Thunderbird with Lightning because it's way more compatible and open to developers to make great Gmail plugins. Now I have a Palm Backup with a Gmail backup and a Soft backup on my computer, along with exported contacts incase I need to restore for any reason. I thought I would share this with everyone incase you wanted a better backup method or didn't know of an alternative.

So I went to Thunderbird - Reclaim your inbox to download the Email application. (In case you didn't know, it's free by mozilla and totally skinable)

Then you want to install Lightning which is the calendar application that can sync with Google Calendar
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2313

Then I downloaded Zindus, which is a plug-in that will update with Google Contacts / Gmail Contacts directly to Thunderbirds address book. Allowing me to backup the address book.

So ya, I like it, it's redundant and I think it will help many people looking for a free easy alternative.

I apologize if this is old news, but someone will learn from this.
    I toyed with it thinking to help out a friend who had asked me about it. IMO, it's (thunderbird and lightning) junk. Better off buying Office 2007 and learning how to use it.

However, Office 2010 http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx is free right now in beta and will last a year or so. I haven't tried it to know if that version of Outlook breaks all the gmail addons or is compatible with chapura.
    The beta version of Office 2010 will expire in October 2010. Users can choose to download the trial or buy the full version of Office 2010 at that time.
    But gsyncit appears to work with the 32bit version of the office beta. http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/gsync/
    note: gSyncit works with Office 2010 32-bit edition but not he 64-bit edition. gSyncit not official supported with the Office 2010 Beta. gSyncit currently works with the Office 2010 32-bit version but product support is not currently provided. gSyncit currently does not load in Outlook 2010 64-bit version. gSyncit _will_ support Office 2010 32 and 64 bit editions.
    Last edited by cardfan; 12/08/2009 at 08:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    So ya, I like it, it's redundant and I think it will help many people looking for a free easy alternative.
    Very cool. That seems like a nice tidy solution (and I don't agree with the other poster that Thunderbird is "junk").

It nicely demonstrates the main points of using Google with the Pre ... that it's very open in terms of data access (you can get at your data in a "standard" format and there's quite a few tools that let you move it around) and the sync between WebOS and Google contacts/calendar is pretty solid. And, it's just one way to do it where there's many options.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    Hey Guys,

So after reading a lot of news of the risk of experiencing the backup contacts bug. I decided to take measures into my hands and manually clean out my Gmail contacts reset my backups so all I'm dealing with is the Gmail contacts that I want.

At the same time, I downloaded Thunderbird with Lightning because it's way more compatible and open to developers to make great Gmail plugins. Now I have a Palm Backup with a Gmail backup and a Soft backup on my computer, along with exported contacts incase I need to restore for any reason. I thought I would share this with everyone incase you wanted a better backup method or didn't know of an alternative.

So I went to Thunderbird - Reclaim your inbox to download the Email application. (In case you didn't know, it's free by mozilla and totally skinable)

Then you want to install Lightning which is the calendar application that can sync with Google Calendar
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2313

Then I downloaded Zindus, which is a plug-in that will update with Google Contacts / Gmail Contacts directly to Thunderbirds address book. Allowing me to backup the address book.

I apologize if this is old news, but someone will learn from this.
    hey hey hey...stop being responsible with your data. What are you going to find to complain about because there isn't a Palm made local backup?????
    I've done this in the past with both Outlook and Thunderbird. They're pretty close to the same for this purpose, and Thunderbird is free. It's a very easy way to back up contacts, but it does require people to put forth a little effort to backup their own information. What is the world coming to?!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Very cool. That seems like a nice tidy solution (and I don't agree with the other poster that Thunderbird is "junk").

It nicely demonstrates the main points of using Google with the Pre ... that it's very open in terms of data access (you can get at your data in a "standard" format and there's quite a few tools that let you move it around) and the sync between WebOS and Google contacts/calendar is pretty solid. And, it's just one way to do it where there's many options.
    Ya I agree too, that Thunderbird is not junk. I use it quite often and it's faster at getting my email then Outlook is, plus very customizable.
    I'm currently trying gsyncit. Thanks for the info.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    I'm currently trying gsyncit. Thanks for the info.
    No problem...The only hard task I had was to get rid of the contacts I didn't want. For some reason I had a flood of almost 200 contacts and most of them were just email address contacts that I don't know...