1.    #1  
    Ok I've searched and searched in here. I googled and yahoo'd and can't find or figure it out.

Please help me please and show me the thread that walks me through how to do the backup.

Yeah, yeah I finally caved and got a google gmail account....so shoot me LOL
    go into your gmail account.

put the contacts that you want on your phone in the My Contacts catergory.

on your phone, go to Contacts.

hit the upper left corner tab.

hit Preferences and Accounts.

go down and Add an Account.

go down to Default Account and make it your Google account.

it should sync when you Add an Account, but if not and in the future, just hit Sync Now.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    Ok I've searched and searched in here. I googled and yahoo'd and can't find or figure it out.

Please help me please and show me the thread that walks me through how to do the backup.

Yeah, yeah I finally caved and got a google gmail account....so shoot me LOL
    Bang
  4.    #4  
    So I have to manually put them into Gmail? I can't sync it the other way? Forget it I'm closing out the Gmail I don't really need another e-mail account and I have them all in Yahoo anyway.

I thought once I signed up for gmail I could transfer them from the phone to there.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    you can. Just add the gmail account to your contacts and hit sync.
    Any new contacts are also synced with gmail. Any existing contacts will have to be manually moved over until such a time as Palm provides a way to export contacts.
    On the phone, pull up the contacts. Click on "Contacts" on the top left > Preferences & Accounts. Add your Google account if you haven't. For the "Default Account" choose your Google account. Hit "Sync Now" so that all your phone contacts will be copied to the Google Account.

Go into Gmail & click on the contacts button on the left hand side. Click on "My Contacts" & you should see all your contacts. Then click "Export" on the right hand side & save a backup as a Google CSV file. Keep this on your computer, USB drive, wherever.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Any new contacts are also synced with gmail. Any existing contacts will have to be manually moved over until such a time as Palm provides a way to export contacts.
    Only new contacts will sync? I thought existing contacts get merged into Gmail too. Ah well...Ok, so instead of manually inutting the contacts into Gmail, try this:

http://www.precentral.net/how-back-y...le-information

Specifically this section:
    To extract the database file, connect your webOS device to your computer, selecting "just charge". Start webOS Quick Install and navigate your way to Tools > Receive file, where you'll enter "/var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3". Select where you'd like the program to save the file, and click "Get From Device!". If you are interested in exporting your contents to a cloud service, xybyre has created a program, which can be downloaded from here, that will extract the contents from the database file into a CSV file that can be exported into gmail.
    Then from now on, new contacts you enter on the phone or through Gmail will sync both ways.
    Last edited by Syphon; 12/08/2009 at 11:38 AM.
    Follow Me On

8.    #8  
    So I have to manually put them into Gmail? I can't sync it the other way? Forget it I'm closing out the Gmail I don't really need another e-mail account and I have them all in Yahoo anyway.

I thought once I signed up for gmail I could transfer them from the phone to there.
    Severe over medicated on cold meds today but how. I had all my contacts in there and when I added g-mail to my phone it did a sync but no contacts were transferred over.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    I'm very medicated today and not sure what you mean? The other post (above) stated it would but it confused me too.

I hate colds.....I hate cold meds more!

If you have them all in Yahoo, they should sync to your phone from there, so duplicating them in Google isn't necessary just for backup's sake.

Severe over medicated on cold meds today but how. I had all my contacts in there and when I added g-mail to my phone it did a sync but no contacts were transferred over.
    Adding a new account will not cause existing contacts to sync to that new account. Since Google has no contacts in it, none were synced. I *would* like to see the option to sync between accounts from the phone, but that option does not exist today.
  10.    #10  
    I had to manually put them into Yahoo.
    I had to manually put them into Yahoo.
    DOH! Now at least they are backed up and should sync with your phone.
  12.    #12  
    Neither Yahoo or Gmail is syncing with my contacts. I have done the steps you showed me (btw in case I forgot to hit the thank you button thank you) and it didn't sync my contacts to Gmail.

I agree Palm should have kept a desktop back up like the other palms but other than that I love my Pre..............
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    since you have your contacts in yahoo already, it should sync between the phone & yahoo if you have yahoo as your default account
    Neither Yahoo or Gmail is syncing with my contacts. I have done the steps you showed me (btw in case I forgot to hit the thank you button thank you) and it didn't sync my contacts to Gmail.

I agree Palm should have kept a desktop back up like the other palms but other than that I love my Pre..............
    To get the contacts from your Palm account, you have to follow the steps Syphon gave you (see below....or above). Once you have your CSV file, you can import that into yahoo or google. Once that is done, you can set either as your default account, and then all new contacts will sync with whichever account you set as default.

http://www.precentral.net/how-back-y...le-information

Specifically this section:

Quote:
    To extract the database file, connect your webOS device to your computer, selecting "just charge". Start webOS Quick Install and navigate your way to Tools > Receive file, where you'll enter "/var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3". Select where you'd like the program to save the file, and click "Get From Device!". If you are interested in exporting your contents to a cloud service, xybyre has created a program, which can be downloaded from here, that will extract the contents from the database file into a CSV file that can be exported into gmail.
    Then from now on, new contacts you enter on the phone or through Gmail will sync both ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by edd247 View Post
    since you have your contacts in yahoo already, it should sync between the phone & yahoo if you have yahoo as your default account
    It should sync from Yahoo to the phone regardless of whether or not it's the default account, as long as the Yahoo account is set up as a contacts account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It should sync from Yahoo to the phone regardless of whether or not it's the default account, as long as the Yahoo account is set up as a contacts account.
    It's not a true 2-way sync except as to the default account. New contacts only sync to the default account. Whatever you have on Yahoo, when it's not a default account, will sync to your phone, but what you enter into your phone will not sync to yahoo.