Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

Write 'em down! If your contacts are THAT important that you feel the need to sue when you lose them - Take responsibility for yourself and use this free backup program.

Its unbelievable to me that people feel the need to blame everyone else for their laziness these days. Yes Palm needs to resolve their backup problems. Yes Palm needs to provide a desktop sync. No Palm is NOT responsible for your lost data, and I am sure it is there in the fine print as well.

This lawsuit is an absolute JOKE and does nothing but harm Palm by forcing them to direct resources toward lawyers and legal fees.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    That, or sync to Google (also free). Or, and here's a concept - sync to your desktop! Maybe you could even sync to both! I know it takes a lot of effort to do these things, but if your contacts are so precious, it might possibly be worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dabro View Post
    That, or sync to Google (also free). Or, and here's a concept - sync to your desktop! Maybe you could even sync to both! I know it takes a lot of effort to do these things, but if your contacts are so precious, it might possibly be worth it.
    Sync doesn't work with Vista 64.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I lost some of mine when I doctor'd last week. I don't know the extent of the loss, but I took my old Verizon Centro that I switched from back in August & had them re-transfer the contacts. THIS time, guess what option I had...to sync them to either my Google accounts or to my Palm Profile! I had it synced to my Google account and NOW, all my contact info is on the right profile!! NICE!!!

No lawsuit needed. If I lost contact info, I'll just ask the people what their phone # is again...easy!
    I hate to say it, but this is Palm's problem. Don't get me wrong. I support Palm, WebOS, and the phones it runs on all the way, but they really need to fix their current implementation of Backup.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Sync doesn't work with Vista 64.
    Well, that is certainly a problem. Is it possible to sync Google to Vista 64? If so, you could sync to Google and then from Google to your desktop. If nothing else, could you simply send CSV files from Google to your PC? Not having used Vista, I don't know.

Maybe, as a result of this lawsuit, Palm will have a change of heart about providing a desktop syncing solution.
    here here, palm, the pim company for over a decade, needs to be at the very least as reliable as palm os5 was, period. i however believe that this lawsuit is what was needed for palm to add a desktop sync to the pre, and hopefully soon, wouldnt even been that much work, webos manages pim just like os5, in palmdatabase.db3 and data transfer works from palm desktop, just not to.... at the very least they could add a short-cut app icon to copy file to usb partition then sync it to your desktop or even email it to yourself. i remember reading people doing similar with rooting. now palm just needs to iron out the kinks since the leg work is done by homebrewers
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post

Write 'em down! If your contacts are THAT important that you feel the need to sue when you lose them - Take responsibility for yourself and use this free backup program.

Its unbelievable to me that people feel the need to blame everyone else for their laziness these days. Yes Palm needs to resolve their backup problems. Yes Palm needs to provide a desktop sync. No Palm is NOT responsible for your lost data, and I am sure it is there in the fine print as well.

This lawsuit is an absolute JOKE and does nothing but harm Palm by forcing them to direct resources toward lawyers and legal fees.

What a ridiculous comment. If the brakes on your car failed and you crashed should we just say, "Well if stopping was that important to you, you should have put your foot out the door and stopped the car manually."

I am not suing Palm, but it does frustrate me that some of the things they advertise don't work. I'm not mad that there is no voice dialing. I'm not mad that it doesn't have video recording. These are items that I knew they didn't have when I bought it. But don't sell me a product saying something works, wait for me to rely on it, and then have it not work.
    I have my contacts on my Pre and 700wx so I am not to worried. But Palm did offer the profile backup and they do not have a computer sync program that is made freely like the older palm phones. With that said I too would make palm responsible.

In this day and age of low cost hard drives and almost every company using raid and redundant backup systems, there is no excuse. Even google saves our simple search information longer than 24 hours and they have to have less "critical" information then Palm on their non-mail/comtact servers. The way I see it Palm should at the very least make a PC sync program available for ALL Apple & PC based computers. That way they can remove themselves from the responsibility of our information. Our computer would be the backup or redundancy.
    I still don't understand why ANYONE was using Palm Profile for contacts, where there is Google, Exchange, etc, etc... mostly because you can't modify your contacts online with Palm Profile.
    no 'Thanks'
    The problem with the brake analogy is that you know it's working from the get-go. You can FEEL it working. You can SEE it working.

With the Palm Profile backup, people had no clue and just started trusting it without any trial and error. Pretty silly to me, but I can definitely feel their pain.

Good thing about brakes, tho, is that when the footbrakes go out... YOU'VE STILL GOT HAND BRAKES!!! **hint, hint, Palm!** I'm the type of person who's always got hand brakes on my mind... and I actually did have to use it just pulling into my garage one day. I kept slamming on the brake and it wouldn't stop... yanked the hand brake and let out a sigh of relief. Looked down and realized I was stepping on the clutch!!

The moral of the story is LEARN THE DEFINITION OF FAILSAFE!!

Paper is an excellent failsafe in the digital age. I've got lotsa stuff backed up on paper, but I've been backing up numbers in a simple flat file for YEARS. Won't stop until .txt files are obsolete.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    I hate to say it, but this is Palm's problem. Don't get me wrong. I support Palm, WebOS, and the phones it runs on all the way, but they really need to fix their current implementation of Backup.
    Yes and no. When you look at any other non-smart phone, it does not fall on the manufacturer to provide a back up solution for the contacts on the phone. That being said, in the smart phone world syncing data and contacts has become a "feature" that each manufacturer has marketed to their customer base. These features are what draws a customer to buy the product(s). If a manufacturer cannot implement a feature correctly then the customer should look elsewhere for a product that meets their needs. All this means is, if Palm can't fix this problem and provide a solution for data backup that people want, then they will lose customers. It's that simple! If Microsoft can provide a do-able solution with active sync then there is no reason on earth why Palm can't do it also. Data syncing is a staple in Palms history, so if they want to retain and build their customer base then they will fix this issue ASAP. Otherwise, customers will turn to the competition to have their needs met. It's simple supply and demand here, people. There are plenty of others that supply a solution for data and contact backup. So, if Palm isn't meeting your needs then move on, wait for a fix or wait for a 3rd party solution. You're the customer, so do what's best for you. But don't sue the company that provided you with a poorly implemented "feature" because that's not in anyone's best interest.
    Last edited by cloak.n.dagger; 12/07/2009 at 10:58 PM.
    What a ridiculous comment. If the brakes on your car failed and you crashed should we just say, "Well if stopping was that important to you, you should have put your foot out the door and stopped the car manually."
    Last time I check loosing your contacs is not life threatening. I agree the whole lawsuit thing is a bunch of bs. People wanting something for nothing. If I cant remember the number or I didnt write it down, then it must of not been that important. People depend on others to do things for them way to much. And yes I lost my contacts but no big deal. they will either call back or I have there number in my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by chase1980 View Post
    Last time I check loosing your contacs is not life threatening. I agree the whole lawsuit thing is a bunch of bs. People wanting something for nothing. If I cant remember the number or I didnt write it down, then it must of not been that important. People depend on others to do things for them way to much. And yes I lost my contacts but no big deal. they will either call back or I have there number in my head.
    Well first off, you missed my point. Second off, it sure can be life threatening. Emergency services experts suggest having an emergency number in your cell phone so that paramedics know who to contact if needed. Now obviously I'm taking it to extremes. But so did your first statement.

So back to my point, I agree, the lawsuit is silly at best, dangerous to us all at worse. But I do understand the frustration people have about purchasing a product that doesn't work. It reminds me of a Dilbert comic strip where the boss says, "I've got a great idea. Let's make a faulty product, and then charge for tech support."
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    The problem with the lawsuit is it's implication that Palm has a legal responsibility to always keep every users contacts, even though Palm never made any such promise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepopscience View Post
    It reminds me of a Dilbert comic strip where the boss says, "I've got a great idea. Let's make a faulty product, and then charge for tech support."
    AHAHAHHAHAHAHA... I had to give you a Thanks! for that.

I'm *still* plotting diabolical schemes.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    The problem with the lawsuit is it's implication that Palm has a legal responsibility to always keep every users contacts, even though Palm never made any such promise.
    Exactly. I don't remember anywhere when I purchased my Pre that said Palm will guarantee that my contacts will never be lost. They need to fix this, they need to make this right, they are NOT in any way legally responsible.
    Well... they did say that the Pre was always gonna think ahead for me. It was always gonna know what I wanted BEFORE *I* actually knew that I wanted it.

But now it's got amnesia.
    Second off, it sure can be life threatening. Emergency services experts suggest having an emergency number in your cell phone so that paramedics know who to contact if needed.
    Oh I got your point. And yea maybe it was a bit extream and so was mine. But I'm old fashioned and dont care for those doctor types.

But you got to admit anyone who sues a company for loosing data that they should of made dang sure was backed up and couldnt be lost. Are out of thier mind. I'm the type of person that dont depend on others. I dont need to depend on some one to take my kids to school. I take them. Burger king dont make my dinner. I do. Palm dont back up my data. ok they do but I back it up. I have about 167 numbers or so. And I know about 75% of them in my head. See what I am getting at. People shouldnt depend on some one else to take care of something that means so much to them. But thats just me.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    While I agree you can write your contacts down, I think that answer was the most ******** answer I have yet to hear. Sorry but that was just dumb...

I have no intention of suing Palm over some lost contacts. I agree that if they are so important then you as the individual should have used an alternate method of preserving your contacts. However, Palm made it very well known that your contacts would be safe with the Palm profile. They made it the default method for goodness sakes! They expect you to trust them so....

Even though I would personally not sue Palm, I think the individuals that are suing have every right to. The sad part is that the lawsuit will probably force Palm to do what they should have done in the first place and that was to make a desktop sync as well as the Palm Profile.

Palms website:

Automatically back up the information on your Palm webOS™ phone and keep its software up to date. Simply create a Palm profile and let us handle the rest.1

Backup and restore
    Back up your Contacts, Calendars, Memos, and Tasks along with preferences and any software downloaded from the App Catalog. Back up runs automatically every day over the air—without interrupting you. Then retrieve the information if you get a new Palm webOS phone by signing into your Palm profile.1"
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast