Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Everyone should back-up thier contacts to multiple sources for safe keeping. Even a non-techie business owner should klnow this. Palm also touts that you can have multiple sources for contacts, myspace,google,palm,facebook, etc......BUT....

Palm MAKES you use a cloud service. Palm MAKES you update your phone with every update but gives no average user a way to manually back-up thier phone easily. I think the suit should continue to make palm adress this issue because I'm sure sprint reps have told the average user that the phone will automatically back-up itself so there's no need to worry about ever losing your contacts, which is bull. Since palm MAKES you update, and if that update loses your contacts in any way, palm is responsible for those said contacts. I feel the average guy deserves no monetary compensation but if a business owner can prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that the update lost contacts that were money makers for the business, then that owner should be compensated accordingly but slapped on the wrist (hard) for not using other means of back-up. Palm touts the cloud as your one-stop-shop for everything. So if they tout, flaunt, and appease the cloud, then that cloud needs to be bullet proof.

The cloud is a great tool, but no means A solution to anything!
    Last edited by Gator352; 12/09/2009 at 03:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Yes, really. The issue was whether the problem was solved once you offer a solution AFTER the damage has been done.

And as for that other stuff, not everyone who buys a PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $knowledgeable$ $enough$ $to$ $or$ $ought$ $to$ $have$ $to$ $jump$ $through$ $hoops$ $to$ $use$ $the$ $product$ $with$ $peace$ $of$-$mind$

It ought to just work. Otherwise, Palm should've said "Use Outlook instead."

But, like, before the data loss.

I still love my PrPrPr&#$275$;, $but$ $I$'$m$ $mighty$ $glad$ $I$ $chose$ $Google$ $instead$ $of$ $Pp$.
    My next question is what law firm do you represent against Palm, and what are you going to gain by the suit being found in favor of the Plantiffs?

Your sounding more and more like your trying to argue a case against palm for a monitary settlement for a client.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    My next question is what law firm do you represent against Palm, and what are you going to gain by the suit being found in favor of the Plantiffs?

Your sounding more and more like your trying to argue a case against palm for a monitary settlement for a client.
    I'm a guy on an internet forum who made a point, then supported it with reason.

Rare as that may be, I pretty sure that I haven't said a word about the law. Reading anything else into this is little more than a creative exercise.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post

I, as alot of us, are hoping for a free....yes free....desktop backup solution from palm. Having to use 3rd party apps and workarounds are unacceptable IMHO for a smartphone. Using the "cloud" exclusively is asking for disaster as it has already proven itself to be non-reliable at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    I, as alot of us, are hoping for a free....yes free....desktop backup solution from palm. Having to use 3rd party apps and workarounds are unacceptable IMHO for a smartphone. Using the "cloud" exclusively is asking for disaster as it has already proven itself to be non-reliable at times.
    Yep. And given the problems in this forum where users tend to be more techie, imagine the problems the vast majority of Pre users are having. They won't visit a forum. They'll run to Sprint to return or exchange.

If they can't plug it in or enter their info and just have it work, then its junk. A homebrew solution is not a solution. Saying customers should have taken that prerequisite smartphone 101 course isn't a solution.

I don't need that local full backup solution too much though i'd definitely use it. Palm is the one that needs that backup/plug n sync solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Yep. And given the problems in this forum where users tend to be more techie, imagine the problems the vast majority of Pre users are having. They won't visit a forum. They'll run to Sprint to return or exchange.

If they can't plug it in or enter their info and just have it work, then its junk. A homebrew solution is not a solution. Saying customers should have taken that prerequisite smartphone 101 course isn't a solution.

I don't need that local full backup solution too much though i'd definitely use it. Palm is the one that needs that backup/plug n sync solution.
    I disagree. I knew what I was buying when I purchased the Pre. I knew well ahead of time that there is no local backup (PC). I also knew that technology is not a fail-safe by any means. When my 32GB USB drive fails, it's my fault for not having another backup. You have 30days to try your Pre. If you don't like the fact that it doesn't have a desktop sync solution, you can return it for a full refund. You can return to your older Palm treos, centros etc. Those phones have a desktop solution.

The Pre is not for everyone. Many older Palm users have been upset about the lack of a desktop solution. Is the Palm Cloud perfect? Absolutely not. However, technology fails and we should all be aware of this. Yes, Palm offers a solution to backup contacts. Is Palm locking down the Pre to ONLY allow their cloud solution? No.

I'll restate what I've said before. Yes, Palm should have better communication with the user community in general when failures occur and when new users sign up. Sprint should inform the new user that other user profiles exist (Google, for instance). When porting over contacts, Google should be the default profile. It's the easiest to sync and back up to a point where you have access to it, locally. To me, the bigger issue is the breakdown in communication between Palm, Sprint and the user community.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    We all know that the Backup OTA was working. Many have used it and it worked flawlessly.
    Then along came the update 1.3.1 and something in the update caused unexpected results in regards to the backup and restore service.
    This is not the first time that an update has caused problems for an OS based device. Look at Microsoft this happens with their updates all the time. They will send an update and it will cause issues with other things.
    What caused the problem and was it related to an app in a phone or some other glitch.
    Good work, Palm. NOW do you understand the absolute stupidity of a total reliance on your hip and precious "cloud," you idiots? Contact databases for some people go beyond just a phone number, there are a hell of a lot of fields available.

I've had Palms since early 1997. I've been building the same contact database since earlier than that, using a combination of electronic devices and the method cited by comment #1. Although there have been occasional corruptions and other odd issues with desktop sync, I have had near total control over backups and syncing regardless of the condition of my network connection or personnel/servers of cell carriers.

Since purchasing my first TRG Pro about 10 years ago, I have ALSO had local backup of every single file on my handheld to solid state removable flash. Journeys overseas and dunks in the toilet were not catastrophic to my data as I had full control over backups I could recover with.

Palm's removal of any ability to do a local backup to flash and total reliance on their "cloud" solution has so quickly shown serious flaws that I warned people about just a few months ago. Not only that, I have a friggin' NANO with twice the storage of this Pre - and it doesn't need to accommodate the level of OS overhead and applications that the Pre does. Palm claims (by leaving out the ability to add flash memory) to need to mimic the iPhone, but they foolishly spec'd the Pre to the lowest end iPhone they could! Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Newer does not *always* equate to better. You kids will learn this, someday. And when you take away something from your customers, try replacing it with something BETTER and not so well designed to fail.

I love my 755 even more. Maybe Palm will have a change of heart and fix a few of the problems with the 755 (RAM size, some performance issues, crapware) and re-release it as the "755x" - there's still gold in the PalmOS to be mined and there's no shame in admitting they made a mistake in abandoning it.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Ignoring the stupider comments, I'll just add that I don't think this proves the cloud is junk, in the broad sense. I'd suggest that, if anything, Palm's implementation is the problem - especially having no way to transfer contacts from Palm Profile to Google or Excel.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Syncmycal (Share Outlook Calendar Free, Google Calendar Sync, Pocket Outlook Google Sync - SyncMyCal) will sync outlook contacts and multiple calendars with google. This then automatically syncs with the Pre. I think its about $25 and has served me well.

***and it works with Windows 7 x64 too
    Last edited by rksand; 12/10/2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: update
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I find this whole thread funny. I actually read the documentation from palm that says that they are not responsible for backing up your contacts and suggest that you use the google account to back up your contacts. I still have every single one of my contacts and all their associated accounts on both my Pre and my Pixi after updates on both devices and a few doctorings on the Pre. I'm just gonna chock this whole thread up to RTFM.
    Quote Originally Posted by acydlord View Post
    I find this whole thread funny. I actually read the documentation from palm that says that they are not responsible for backing up your contacts and suggest that you use the google account to back up your contacts. I still have every single one of my contacts and all their associated accounts on both my Pre and my Pixi after updates on both devices and a few doctorings on the Pre. I'm just gonna chock this whole thread up to RTFM.
    Cutting through the crap...

I'd be surprised to find that Palm has a product whose documentation tells the user to use another product, instead.

If it does, that's ridiculous of Palm, in more than just the obvious ways: Most people peobably don't get the chance to read the documentation BEFORE their phone is activated - usually be the Sprint or Best Buy rep (who may not ask which you prefer).
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345