Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bangmatic View Post
    Everyone doesn't have an exchange account. Everyone doesn't want to use Google. It comes down to people wanting to have the option to manage and secure their own data. Locally.

A sheet of paper and pen could certainly take care of that, but then why have a computer?
    You can back up locally in an excel file. You can load it up in google contacts one time to sync to your phone. I don't see how the argument " some people don't want to use google" can hold weight.

No one is saying use them as your email provider...but there is an easy contact management solution exisiting. Just because people are now being picky doesn't mean there aren't OPTIONS already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    You can back up locally in an excel file. You can load it up in google contacts one time to sync to your phone. I don't see how the argument " some people don't want to use google" can hold weight.

No one is saying use them as your email provider...but there is an easy contact management solution exisiting. Just because people are now being picky doesn't mean there aren't OPTIONS already.
    For whatever it's worth, Google is essentially a data collection company. Some people are starting to see them as Big Brother. And as such, people don't want to have to hand over all their information into some company's hands just because the originating company didn't provide a data redundancy solution. And Google isn't doing it for free-- you're paying with your eyeballs by the ads that you view.

Transferring all of your personal information over to another company is not the same as having software on your own box that only you have access to. Some might assume that if they put it on Google's servers that others can view it, be it through hacking or inside-company folk. While it's highly improbably that that's going to happen, they have every right to be weary of handing over all that info to someone else. Some people hoard gold for the coming apocalypse. They have every right to do that too, if that's what makes them feel secure.
    Quote Originally Posted by deafinoneear View Post
    For whatever it's worth, Google is essentially a data collection company. Some people are starting to see them as Big Brother. And as such, people don't want to have to hand over all their information into some company's hands just because the originating company didn't provide a data redundancy solution. And Google isn't doing it for free-- you're paying with your eyeballs by the ads that you view.

Transferring all of your personal information over to another company is not the same as having software on your own box that only you have access to. Some might assume that if they put it on Google's servers that others can view it, be it through hacking or inside-company folk. While it's highly improbably that that's going to happen, they have every right to be weary of handing over all that info to someone else. Some people hoard gold for the coming apocalypse. They have every right to do that too, if that's what makes them feel secure.
    Ok, but then they trust Palm (another 3rd party) to make sure their data is secure? (oops, they messed up a bit there). Then there next option is to make sure they have a backup of their own numbers. It will suck to manually have to put it back in...but if people are concerned about privacy this seems like the best way....or just pay for that sync program (forgive me i forget the name).

Maybe i'm being harsh with my thought process...but at the same time Palm never said they would be making a local sync application....why would someone, who finds this an important feature, purchase a webos device?

But think of the argument, its really sad... Im paronoid beyond belief about putting my info in googles services but im going to trust palm... That makes no sense.. You should trust no cloud service at all.. Because obviously to sue you had to put your info into palms cloud so why not due to the same with google?? Or if your that paranoid Id think outlook would be the best solution.... Now if u have an excuse for that someone is just looking to blame someone other then themselves...
    Ok, but then they trust Palm (another 3rd party) to make sure their data is secure? (oops, they messed up a bit there). Then there next option is to make sure they have a backup of their own numbers. It will suck to manually have to put it back in...but if people are concerned about privacy this seems like the best way....or just pay for that sync program (forgive me i forget the name).

Maybe i'm being harsh with my thought process...but at the same time Palm never said they would be making a local sync application....why would someone, who finds this an important feature, purchase a webos device?
    Haaa Brian it seems as if we think the same... U must have wrote your post at the same time lol.... (Stop making it look like I copied you J/K) That seems like some of the weirdest logic ive ever heard of... I dont trust them but ill trust them but I dont want outlook cuz I have to type and thats out of the question.. And i refuse to pay for another sync solution because I just dont wanna!!! Im just going to sit in the corner and cry and whine!!!! Or better yet sue... This seems like a person just nagging, not adapting, nor wanting to use resources redily available to them.. ...
    Last edited by youngzayiles; 12/08/2009 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    But think of the argument, its really sad... Im paronoid beyond belief about putting my info in googles services but im going to trust palm... That makes no sense.. You should trust no cloud service at all.. Because obviously to sue you had to put your info into palms cloud so why not due to the same with google?? Or if your that paranoid Id think outlook would be the best solution.... Now if u have an excuse for that someone is just looking to blame someone other then themselves...
    Just playing Devil's Advocate here. There's a million reasons why someone could be untrusting of Google and not Palm. I don't know, just throwing it out there (also because I know people like this where I live).

Regardless, I don't actually see why Palm didn't provide a backup solution from the get go-- it would have cost infinitely less to hire two programmers to whip out a backup program than to create a server system to house the massive amounts of data, write software to backup OTA and then pay the bandwidth for nightly backups of hundreds of thousands of devices. Doesn't seem to make sense. Apple has MobileMe, but that's an optional service, and you can't even use your iPhone until you link it to the local backup software (iTunes).
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepopscience View Post
    What a ridiculous comment. If the brakes on your car failed and you crashed should we just say, "Well if stopping was that important to you, you should have put your foot out the door and stopped the car manually."
    Seriously? You're comparing the brakes on your car, where failure results in a very high likely hood of death not only for you but for other motorists or pedestrians that happen to be nearby, to some lost phone numbers?
    Just playing Devil's Advocate here. There's a million reasons why someone could be untrusting of Google and not Palm. I don't know, just throwing it out there (also because I know people like this where I live).

Regardless, I don't actually see why Palm didn't provide a backup solution from the get go-- it would have cost infinitely less to hire two programmers to whip out a backup program than to create a server system to house the massive amounts of data, write software to backup OTA and then pay the bandwidth for nightly backups of hundreds of thousands of devices. Doesn't seem to make sense. Apple has MobileMe, but that's an optional service, and you can't even use your iPhone until you link it to the local backup software (iTunes).
    Now this makes alot more sense... A backup program is alot more cost effective ect. and I definately would have used it if it would have been provided. It seems as if alot of companies are going to cloud services just to make it seamless for the customers. Which may have been Palms Idea. IE: If you activate a new phone at the store, you have your contacts etc. before even driving home. Or perhaps your not going home, you have your contacts available to you. So I can see why they may have chosen to do this. My whole thing is Palm didnt do this on purpose obviously and there are other options available so I believe People cant just blame Palm.. Its kind of a mistake by both parties.. Palm should have done more research and maybe a little more testing before putting out this feature and people should learn to backup important contacts elsewhere and not rely on palm to do everything..
    i think Palm was really pushing seemlessness over cost in order to have that be a highilghted feature. I think in todays world those that want a local sync option are the minority. Hell when i swapped my phone, it feels good to know that i just logged in and while going back to my apartment my numbers are being transferred.

But ideally yes, they probably should've to appease people (was Palm desktop really not able to do at least a contact sync?)
    For those who missed this "how to" article on backing up your pre using webOSQI, here it is:

http://www.precentral.net/how-back-y...le-information

I backed up my pre's info using this, was very easy, just follow the instructions
    What is this 1987?
    Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepopscience View Post
    What a ridiculous comment. If the brakes on your car failed and you crashed should we just say, "Well if stopping was that important to you, you should have put your foot out the door and stopped the car manually."
    I am not suing Palm, but it does frustrate me that some of the things they advertise don't work. I'm not mad that there is no voice dialing. I'm not mad that it doesn't have video recording. These are items that I knew they didn't have when I bought it. But don't sell me a product saying something works, wait for me to rely on it, and then have it not work.
    Lol. Thats a horrible comparison.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

The same reason I wouldn't want to use Google to store my data is the same reason I wouldn't want Palm to hold my data.

Both the Palm cloud and Google contact "options" are exactly the same: the data is not stored and managed locally.

I still have my contacts in my old 755, the palm desktop software, and csv files in a few places. If I lose that, that's on me and I can live with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by danno1769 View Post
    What is this 1987?
    1987? What is the significance of 1987? Did you mean 1984?
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    OMG MY CONTACTS ARE GONE.....QUICK GET ME A LAWYER.....OMG MY LIFE IS OVER....SPRINT AND PALM OWE ME >>>> WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

OK i got that out of my system now.........

Does anyone else get the idea of how stupid this lawsuit is? Maybe we should sue the local weather man too since he said it wouldn't rain, and now my new shoes are ruined....oops my bad I could have changed shoes when it was raining.......

GET A LIFE PEOPLE AND STOP WANTING THE WORLD TO CARE FOR YOU AND DO THINGS FOR YOURSELF. Personally I hope that the lawsuit results in the defendants having to pay out $ .02 to everyone (yep 2 cents); just to show people how petty they are being....and then I would love to see the people that actually go cash the 2 cent checks
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danno1769 View Post
    What is this 1987?
    That was the year right after 1986, and if memory serves me correctly, it was right before 1988.

Hope that clears up the confusion LMAO
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post

Write 'em down! If your contacts are THAT important that you feel the need to sue when you lose them - Take responsibility for yourself and use this free backup program.

Its unbelievable to me that people feel the need to blame everyone else for their laziness these days. Yes Palm needs to resolve their backup problems. Yes Palm needs to provide a desktop sync. No Palm is NOT responsible for your lost data, and I am sure it is there in the fine print as well.

This lawsuit is an absolute JOKE and does nothing but harm Palm by forcing them to direct resources toward lawyers and legal fees.
    If someone has hundreds of contacts, as many of us do, and they pay hundreds of dollars for a phone that includes a management and backup solution, it's unreasonable to expect that individual to write down all of that contact information.

Tere's also the fact that some people use the PrPrPr&#$275$; $for$ $their$ $businesses$.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Here's my problem with the backup system..

Look at the screen...."your data is backed up automatically everyday"

Hmmm....Notice the differences in the dates ?
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    If someone has hundreds of contacts, as many of us do, and they pay hundreds of dollars for a phone that includes a management and backup solution, it's unreasonable to expect that individual to write down all of that contact information.

Tere's also the fact that some people use the PrPrPr&#$275$; $for$ $their$ $businesses$.
    Ah excuse me.......what did people do before they had smartphones, or even cell phones? WOW we wrote our contacts down.

Sometimes old tech is the best tech.
    QUOTE by Prepopscience "What a ridiculous comment. If the brakes on your car failed and you crashed should we just say, "Well if stopping was that important to you, you should have put your foot out the door and stopped the car manually."

Sir. This statement has caused me some serious issues this morning. I was forced to clean coffee off my screen and keyboard and explain to my coworkers why I decided to spit-laugh coffee all over my desk. You just made my day.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast