1.    #1  
    When I first got my Pre, I imported my contacts from Outlook using Palm's Data Transfer Assistant. It worked perfectly. I've added a couple contacts manually since then. My Palm profile is the only contact account I use (no facebook, google, etc) and is of course set as the default. The phone has no problem running regular backups or manual ones.

A couple days ago I ran the WebOS Doctor and fully erased everything on the phone. I used the same WebOS Doctor as the OS I had, 1.3.1.

After I logged into my Palm Profile, it loaded all my purchased apps from the App Catalog, but it only loaded two of my contacts. They were the ones that I had typed in manually, none of the ones I transferred to the phone. Fortunately, I was proactive and backed up my PalmDatabase.db3 beforehand. (Thank you PreCentral Forums!) When I restored it, I had all my contacts back (even contact pictures!).

Is there a way to get my Pre to backup ALL my contacts to my Palm Profile? And can I verify this without doing a full erase each time to test?
    If you've been reading PreCentral then you already know the answer to your question and you also know what you SHOULD be doing with regard to cloud services and the Pre (i.e. Google Contacts).

Keep playing with the Palm Profile as your only account and you'll get burned sooner or later.

Consider yourself warned.
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I know that I can sync with google. I don't really want to sync with my e-mail account because I don't want all my e-mail contacts on my phone.

I also know that Palm's profile can't be relied on. I still have my contacts on my pc (how I loaded them in the first place), and included with my normal backups.

My question again was: Is there a way to get my Pre to backup ALL my contacts to my Palm Profile?
    No way that I'm aware of. As far as I know the Palm Profile will only sync contacts that are entered manually on the Pre. That's only one of the reasons it shouldn't be used as an account for contact management.
  5.    #5  
    Well that's silly. Maybe I'll make an account stictly for contacts and use that. Thanks for the help.
    That would probably be best. Either that, or use Exchange.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I'm confused. Why would you not want email contacts on your pre? I have 4 gmail accounts and facebook being polled on my pre. I love it. I wish my mac was capable of doing the same thing.

I don't even need to organize contacts on my pre because simply typing part of first or last name brings up the contact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdogokc View Post
    I'm confused. Why would you not want email contacts on your pre? I have 4 gmail accounts and facebook being polled on my pre. I love it. I wish my mac was capable of doing the same thing.

I don't even need to organize contacts on my pre because simply typing part of first or last name brings up the contact.
    Not sure if this is still an issue for most, but GMail would add a contact entry for every person you send an email to. So if you replied to a bunch of people that were CC'd, you'd end up with all of them as new contacts in GMail under "All Contacts". The Pre would sync with that "All Contacts" list and you would have hundreds of people that you really don't want in your contact list on the Pre.

For me, personally, this has never happened. I turned off that feature in GMail and have never had unwanted contacts show up when I email someone from GMail. But I guess that isn't the case for others, and there have been complaints.

I'm not entirely sure, but I thought that Palm made changes to the way the Pre syncs with GMail Contacts and it doesn't sync the "All Contacts" folder any more...but I haven't verified one way or the other, so I don't know for sure.

Perhaps someone that has more experience with the original problem can chime in.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Not sure if this is still an issue for most, but GMail would add a contact entry for every person you send an email to. So if you replied to a bunch of people that were CC'd, you'd end up with all of them as new contacts in GMail under "All Contacts". The Pre would sync with that "All Contacts" list and you would have hundreds of people that you really don't want in your contact list on the Pre.

For me, personally, this has never happened. I turned off that feature in GMail and have never had unwanted contacts show up when I email someone from GMail. But I guess that isn't the case for others, and there have been complaints.

I'm not entirely sure, but I thought that Palm made changes to the way the Pre syncs with GMail Contacts and it doesn't sync the "All Contacts" folder any more...but I haven't verified one way or the other, so I don't know for sure.

Perhaps someone that has more experience with the original problem can chime in.
    Yes. Apparently the Pre syncs just the "My Contacts" in gmail. I too have not tested this yet.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Yes. Apparently the Pre syncs just the "My Contacts" in gmail. I too have not tested this yet.
    Noob here day 1 w/pre initial gmail contacts sync grabbed "all contacts" non "my"
    The Pre only syncing "My contacts" is something that only happened with a later update (1.3.1?). Before that, it synced with all contacts...now, I have no problem with that, because I don't scroll through contacts; I use universal search.

That being said, at the very least, I would try to export contacts from Outlook to a gmail account (make a NEW one if you don't want all your old contacts on there)...then link that gmail account to your Pre for contacts...then, have that gmail be the primary account for new contact info...new contact info will sync with the gmail.