Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What is that program that is just like Itunes?

cant seem to find it by searching here
    you will probably get burned for asking this question, just a heads up.... depends on what os your on... windows id pick either JRiver Media Center (Media Center - Features), Songbird (Songbird - Open Source Music Player), or MediaMonkey (MediaMonkey Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter)... If you don't care about album art being on you pre then songbird is my pick, just need the ipod add-on and work perfect in media sync... if your using linux i must say Banshee (Banshee), Songbird or Rhythmbox (Rhythmbox - The music management application for GNOME)... I use ubuntu and manage my pre with banshee and use the patch from preware to make it recognize in usb mode. album art even work with it... i dont really have any suggestion for a mac, as i dont have one, sorry. hope this helps
    doubletwist
    Why must you find an "iTunes alternative"? People who are that in love with a proprietary software solution for proprietary hardware should be using the proprietary hardware to begin with. Why not just ask for a good sync solution for the Pre? If that is all you wanted, it is hard to believe you looked very hard as there are many threads on the subject. Is sounds like what you want is some type of iTunes KIRF. Real classy.

I am sick and tired of Palm users with iTunes envy. Love your team or hate them, but don't pretend to love your team while trying to steal the other guys stuff. I am sick of the inferiority complex that so many seem to have on this board. The Pre is not, and never will be an iPhone. Love it for what it is; you bought it after all, or buy a different product. Enough with the iTunes! Enough!
    x2 on DoubleTwist. I just installed and used it last night. Worked great.

My daughter did me the favor of upgrading iTunes to the latest version, and it wouldn't talk to my Pre anymore. We're headed out of town for the holiday and was planning on leaving the iPod at home and just taking my Pre for the trip. I installed DoubleTwist, it took a few minutes to find everything. When it was done, it had all of my songs and playlists from iTunes loaded up. I only wanted a few playlists, so I select the appropriate checkboxes and clicked the sync button.

The only issue was that I have some 'm4p' songs that it didn't transfer. I guess they did me a favor, because those songs wouldn't have played on my Pre anyway. 'm4p' = DRM, 'm4a' = iTunes Plus, non-DRM.

I've been working with Apple Support (and not getting anywhere), trying to get them converted like the rest of my music library. I'm probably going to have to burn them to "CD" and rip them, virtually of course. Or, just spending the $10 and repurchase them.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    JRiver looks and acts almost exactly like iTunes. So if you want something as an "alternative", that's your best bet. I use it and love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    doubletwist
    I cannot get double twist to send my playlists, even though I can see them in the program.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cbpagent72 View Post
    I cannot get double twist to send my playlists, even though I can see them in the program.
    What OS are you using. MACs don't play nice with m3u playlist files, although a month ago DT said they were working on a fix.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Actually, I was sticking with versions of iTunes that worked (All my iPods and years of using it, it seems silly for me to switch to another music/video management system now) and finally broke down and bought Markspace's Missing Sync. Although, now I'd probably go with GoGadget since it does what I actually want (sync music with iTunes and Pre). Highly recommended.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Actually, I was sticking with versions of iTunes that worked (All my iPods and years of using it, it seems silly for me to switch to another music/video management system now) and finally broke down and bought Markspace's Missing Sync. Although, now I'd probably go with GoGadget since it does what I actually want (sync music with iTunes and Pre). Highly recommended.
    Being a previous user of Missing Sync for my Treo 680, Mark/Space sold Missing Sync for the Pre at the same price as GoGadget for me. Great software.
    MediaMonkey all the way. Syncs with itunes, syncs with pre, does tons of other awesome stuff.
    MediaMonkey
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rondera View Post
    MediaMonkey
    Mediamonkey not for Mac folks. That's why I suggested missing sync/gogadget. FYI
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Why must you find an "iTunes alternative"? People who are that in love with a proprietary software solution for proprietary hardware should be using the proprietary hardware to begin with. Why not just ask for a good sync solution for the Pre? If that is all you wanted, it is hard to believe you looked very hard as there are many threads on the subject. Is sounds like what you want is some type of iTunes KIRF. Real classy.

I am sick and tired of Palm users with iTunes envy. Love your team or hate them, but don't pretend to love your team while trying to steal the other guys stuff. I am sick of the inferiority complex that so many seem to have on this board. The Pre is not, and never will be an iPhone. Love it for what it is; you bought it after all, or buy a different product. Enough with the iTunes! Enough!
    Ever hear the shakespeare quote "Methinks thou dost protest too much"? Sorry, couldn't resist when I read this the first time.

Here's my real take on this entire issue. Apple has their act together. You plug an apple unit into another apple unit and it just works. No worries. No techie know-how required. But, they are too proud of their products, and they don't allow anyone else to play in their pool.

The simple fact is that the iTunes system is the best and most used media system on the planet. Anything else will automatically be compared to it and it will be what is used when people are trying to explain what they want.

Instead of everyone trying to worry about what is and what isn't being loyal, we need to worry about finding a long-term workable solution that every person who wants to use a pre can install and run. and then market the hell out of it to get the user base large enough that it can be a viable option. There is no way in hell that a non-tech person is going to want to have to log onto a webiste and spend several hours reading threads full of posts arguing between multiple apps.

My wife gave up and just bought an iPhone. We have a family plan (was 5 phones, now 4) and she dropped hers and switched to AT&T for the iPhone. Why? Simple. She wanted a device that could do everything the iPhone could do. She waited 4 months for the Pre, and got one the day they were released and used it until 1 week ago. She constantly checked the app catalogue and tried out the video player and all the other "comparable features" and in the end, switched.

Now I have her Pre and I like it. But I have a Touch i've had for 14 months and I'll never give it up until I can get everything on the Pre that I can get on the Touch or iPhone. I'm not a Palm user or an Apple user. I'm a media addict who wants his videos, music, games, weather, news, voice dialing, and web on a single device through Sprint. I don't care who or how. So Right now, I'm going to put everything into making the WebOS devices exactly what I want. Even if I have to start writing JavaScript myself

I'm installing Doubletwist now, and am going to try it out for media. And if it works like iTunes , I'll promote it to every person I know, trying to get a consistent user base. I'm also going to be contacting every app developer for the apps I own on the Touch and try to get them to port their apps.

Instead of griefing about iTunes and Apple, I'm looking for the ability to match them, or make them interchangeable. I want iTunes to become the new "Xerox" (They invented the modern copier, and did it so well that their name is synonomous with Photocopy, even though there are many brand, which all work the exact same way) instead of the single source they are trying to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by mp0510 View Post
    I'm installing Doubletwist now, and am going to try it out for media. And if it works like iTunes , I'll promote it to every person I know, trying to get a consistent user base. I'm also going to be contacting every app developer for the apps I own on the Touch and try to get them to port their apps.
    Well put post, but don't stop with DoubleTwist, check out Media Monkey as well (if you're a Windows user). I'm no media junky, but I like it so far, better than DT.
    Sunbird and it's for all OS's.
    mp0510,

That was the most honest answer I have seen anyone on this board give on the subject. I don't have time to wrestle this morning, but I did want to take the time to thank you for your response.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Mediamonkey is the best media manager I have used personally. If you have not tried it give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

You do realize that some people don't view their choice of technology through the lens of being a member/fan of a "team", yes?

Some people just like what works for them, regardless of the brand.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Mediamonkey not for Mac folks. That's why I suggested missing sync/gogadget. FYI

OP didn't say it was for a Mac
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast