Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Personally, I haven't found a media sync program that I like yet. A lot of these seem to be designed around making different playlists and syncing them over, or picking a lot of different songs and syncing them over.

I haven't found a good program yet that lets me sync easily by album, however, and I've tried quite a few. WMP has its useless sync list, Doubletwist makes you do it by playlist or just drag and drop, I forget why but I didn't like Songbird, and MediaMonkey is so far the most usable one, but even still, it buries the options I want in menus.

iTunes sort of had the idea right years ago with their checkboxes of songs to sync, but they've shied away from the idea recently. I really just want a list of albums, separated by the artist, with a bunch of checkboxes next to it, and I get to select the albums to sync. Almost none of the sync solutions do this and do it simply. As mentioned, MediaMonkey does this but you have to go deep into the menu to do this and so that makes it annoying.

I know my taste in wanting to listen to whole albums as opposed to just songs differs from the majority a bit, but even still, you'd think there'd be one good solution for that by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I know my taste in wanting to listen to whole albums as opposed to just songs differs from the majority a bit, but even still, you'd think there'd be one good solution for that by now.
    OK, I'm no expert on this, but I just looked at my copy of Media Monkey.

On the left, there is a panel that has Library automatically opened.
    Under that, there is a submenu (that's readily visable) that says Albums
    I can open that, select any ablum, and right click (there are a few other ways as well) and select Send To and send it to my Pre.

Were you looking for something easier?
    don't upgrade your itunes if u already did get an older version...
    thats what i did...
    Differing from the OP's question a little, I don't use any 'media sync'. I have more music than I can shake a stick at, and I certainly would not want everything on one device as it wouldn't fit for a start. As I have it arranged into folders on my home drives, all I do is transfer the albums over when I want them, and delete them when I am finished. That way I know exactly what is where (Some thing I hate with iTunes is the renaming of files).

Am I missing something spectacular with syncing? Or is it just a (excuse the term) lazy way to upload your files?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_K View Post
    Am I missing something spectacular with syncing? Or is it just a (excuse the term) lazy way to upload your files?
    To be fair, there are some advantages. What I'm about to describe could be done by dragging and dropping, but syncing definitely makes it easier (so thus may be a "lazy way to upload my files"

My taste in music is way too eclectic to simply copy albums. I have Maria Muldaur, Rich Mullins, Kingston Trio, Muddy Waters, Big Tent Revival, Flowers for Zoey, just to name a few (and I could probably list about a dozen others).

I don't want all of their albums on my Pre. Actually, I don't want a full album from any of them on my Pre.

So, I have a play list specifically for my Pre. If I get tired of hearing a particular song on my Pre, I delete it from the play list on Media Monkey. If I download or rip a new song from CD that I want added to the Pre, or even if I just run across one I haven't heard in a while and want it added, I put it on the play list.

Next time I run MediaMonkey and hook up the Pre, the songs I pulled from the list are removed from the Pre, and the songs I add are uploaded.

Just call me lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    OK, I'm no expert on this, but I just looked at my copy of Media Monkey.

On the left, there is a panel that has Library automatically opened.
    Under that, there is a submenu (that's readily visable) that says Albums
    I can open that, select any ablum, and right click (there are a few other ways as well) and select Send To and send it to my Pre.

Were you looking for something easier?
    Yeah, send to works, but it's a bit of a pain when you're not sure what's already on there, or when you're changing a lot of music that's on it. That's why the "device profile" section > the auto-sync list > music works best for my needs. Then I can check off the cds or bands I want on there, and uncheck what I want to remove, and it calculates how much space it'll take up.

That works for me, but it's a pretty buried option. And quite frankly, I feel like MM tries to do too much (like iTunes, for that matter), and just over-complicates things. I haven't tried the newest version yet though, last I've used was 3.1.1.
    Yeah, send to works, but it's a bit of a pain when you're not sure what's already on there, or when you're changing a lot of music that's on it. That's why the "device profile" section > the auto-sync list > music works best for my needs. Then I can check off the cds or bands I want on there, and uncheck what I want to remove, and it calculates how much space it'll take up.

That works for me, but it's a pretty buried option. And quite frankly, I feel like MM tries to do too much (like iTunes, for that matter), and just over-complicates things. I haven't tried the newest version yet though, last I've used was 3.1.1.
    OK, that makes sense put that way. I agree, it "tries to do a lot", but don't know if I'd really call it "too much". I think that's the nature of just about any such system that can be extended.

I think there are a few things that look promising to me about MediaMonkey as it relates to use with the Pre:
    • The interface is highly modifiable. Someone (probably not me, too lazy) could write scripts for it that could make it very "Pre specific".
    • They were very quick to jump on the Pre bandwagon (though the changes have been minimal so far, they have been there).
    • They use an SQL Lite database. I haven't fully gelled that one yet, but I suspect that it would make it easier to integrate it with the Pre.

Obviously, a lot of this is highly speculative, but even without that, it works pretty good "as is".

BTW, sounds like it's possible you've looked at this as well:

You can create a Pre play list (that auto-syncs, which you mentioned you knew about). You can send albums to that list as well as directly to the Pre. Looking at the play list helps manage that "knowing what's already on there" issue some.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Does anyone know why MediaMonkey is Windows only? I've used it in the past to correct album cover issues with iTunes, and it accessed the media Library flawlessly and didn't skew anything.

I avoided it because it was Windows only, and I'm trying to find something that is as close to universal as possible (i.e. anyone who just bought a WebOS phone can use, without having to worry about what computer OS they have.)
    Winamp has iPod support (Touch/iPhone/Video/Classis etc.), I personaly like Media Player than can handle it all, like Winamp or The KMPlayer, the last one also supports Winamp plugins, but has slight problems with ml_ipod (Winamp iPod plugin)
    An older version of itunes works great for me, I purchase my music online from Amazon now.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I'm another Winamp user. It does everything I want. Never was a fan of Itunes. I use Winamp for my Ipods as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Why must you find an "iTunes alternative"? People who are that in love with a proprietary software solution for proprietary hardware should be using the proprietary hardware to begin with. Why not just ask for a good sync solution for the Pre? If that is all you wanted, it is hard to believe you looked very hard as there are many threads on the subject. Is sounds like what you want is some type of iTunes KIRF. Real classy.

I am sick and tired of Palm users with iTunes envy. Love your team or hate them, but don't pretend to love your team while trying to steal the other guys stuff. I am sick of the inferiority complex that so many seem to have on this board. The Pre is not, and never will be an iPhone. Love it for what it is; you bought it after all, or buy a different product. Enough with the iTunes! Enough!
    whoa dude, chill out lol
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I use iTunes because I enjoy listening to many different podcasts and it is the best software I've seen for subscribing to the podcasts and getting updates all in one shot and in one place. I don't have an ipod, but use another brand media player, so I still have to manually add the new podcasts to my player every day, but at least I have them all in one place to draw from.

I don't yet own a pre, but will have one in a few months and may use it as my podcast player as well. Do any of the other media players mentioned in earlier posts have the same functionality as iTunes when it comes to auto-pulling new podcast episodes?
    My preference is Songbird. It'll sync your music to your Pre. It also has skins (called feathers) to make it look like iTunes or however else you may like it.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    You need to make new playlists in DT for them to transfer to your Pre (at least in Windows). I have a huge number of audio books and this has been a major issue.

Note: If you unclick them on sync (I have way more audio than space on my Pre), DT erases them.
    Hands down its Media Monkey - more features, more powerful, easier interface, graohically appealing...

Two features I love:

1) With Media Monkey Gold you can set a size limit and then fill that space on your pre with a randomized play list, random songs or albums or various other combos. Each time you sync you get a different random set of songs. I like this because my music collection is too big to fit on my Pre. With Itunes I had to manually choose what o sync each time - way too time cinsuming. I coudl do that here if I want but can also let it choose for me.

2) Media Monkey syncs BOTH ways. Itunes doesn't. So if I buy/download music directly to my phone it ends up backed up in Media Monkey.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Here is a handy how-to guide on syncing the Pre in MediaMonkey: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...diamonkey.html
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12