webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Synergy and Synchronization > HOWTO Transfer Contacts from Palm Profile to Gmail/Yahoo! Mail. Easier Way!!!
HOWTO Transfer Contacts from Palm Profile to Gmail/Yahoo! Mail. Easier Way!!!
Like Tree1Likes

Old 11/18/2009, 10:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ok first, this process sounds difficult but it should go fairly smoothly, provided you have a sprint store (that's not full of ***** employees) nearby. I work as a repair tech at a sprint store and have done this many times and KNOW it works.

First you need to take your Pre/Pixi into a Sprint store and explain to the employee what you need to do. Hopefully he/she won't be completely mesmerized by your request.

MAKE SURE YOU ALREADY HAVE YOUR GMAIL/YAHOO ACCOUNT SET UP AS YOUR DEFAULT CONTACTS ACCOUNT WHEN YOU GO IN.

At the store, they should have a device called a Cellebrite, that is used to transfer contacts from one phone to another. I assume every Sprint store out there has one.. I have been to a great many (both corporate and indirect) and EVERY ONE has had one of these.

All you need the employee to do is setup the Cellebrite to transfer from one Pre to another, and use your device on both the sending and receiving end of it.

After the device is unplugged from the Cellebrite, it will prompt you to upload your contacts to one of your contacts accounts. CHOOSE GOOGLE!!!! Leave your phone alone for a while so it can upload your information.

Now leave the store, go home, log onto your Gmail and look at all of your glorious contacts! You might have some duplicates if some contacts were already in your Google account before, but they are easy to get rid of from your computer.

You will probably also have duplicate contacts in your phone. To remedy this, you will need to delete everything from your palm profile, by going to the 'Backup' icon and turning it off. Confirm to delete the information when prompted. Now perform a partial reset, log back into your profile and DONE!!

I know this may sound like a pain, having to go into a Sprint store, and a partial reset, but trust me, it is endlessly easier than the 'other method' (having to root, export and convert PalmDatabase.db3 file)...

Let me know if this helps!!!
benjio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2009, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

THanks for the helpful post! I hope you don't mind if I quote your post in the following thread about this matter?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...acts-lost.html

It would be great if you could post in that thread as well! THanks!

Current device: Palm Pre
Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Gaurav is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: benjio
Old 11/18/2009, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

dude, I didn't know cellibrite can choose which contacts to link to.

awesome tip!

thanks
trim81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

No prob Gaurav. Quote away.
Old 11/19/2009, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

going 2 sprint for a replacement for shot speaker. i do not want to lose my contacts. i have palm profile as default right now. i have contacts in facebook, google, yahoo, and hotmail. Thank you
don1lather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
dude, I didn't know cellibrite can choose which contacts to link to.

awesome tip!

thanks
Just have your Google as your default profile and when they are ported over at the Sprint store, you should be good.
Old 11/19/2009, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

what if i backed up with palm profile as default?

do i need to backup with google as default profile?
Old 11/19/2009, 05:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1lather View Post
what if i backed up with palm profile as default?

do i need to backup with google as default profile?
You will rely on Palm as your backup. Only contacts that have a google profile will be backed up to Google. You can have both Google and Palm profiles for each contact. If you look through your contacts, if they have a Google profile, they will back up to Google as well (check your Google account contacts via your PC, are they there?). If they don't have a Google profile, they will back up to Palm by default.
Old 11/19/2009, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

i think cellebrite cannot transfer contacts from pre to pre

how bout from other branded phones to pre, seems that cellebrite only transfers data to the palm profile, it doesnt give an option to choose google
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
going 2 sprint for a replacement for shot speaker. i do not want to lose my contacts. i have palm profile as default right now. i have contacts in facebook, google, yahoo, and hotmail. Thank you
Next time you should try breaking in your speaker. Let it play anything (static, bass heavy music, whatever) overnight at about a "reasonable" level, then gradually up the volume every couple hours or so. Whatever you do... DON'T put it on max for the first 10 hours or so. I think this is what's causing most blown speakers is playing some rap at full volume right away. It can handle it, but not right away.

Get Homebrew Apps, Tweaks, & Patches Working In Less Than 5 Minutes

Cross-Platform Meta-Doctor Guide -- Bypass carrier-specific activation & MORE!
grndslm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 07:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniela View Post
i think cellebrite cannot transfer contacts from pre to pre

how bout from other branded phones to pre, seems that cellebrite only transfers data to the palm profile, it doesnt give an option to choose google
I think you may need to update your cellebrite. Mine is at the most up to date version and has no problem going from pre to pre, and if your pre already has google sync set up, it will ask you to choose where to upload your contacts after disconnecting.

Last edited by benjio; 11/19/2009 at 07:47 PM.
Thanked By: daniela
Old 11/19/2009, 08:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

That's bull crap... if Sprint can transfer contacts from Pre to Pre... why can't Palm write us a Java app to do the same??

That's TOTAL bull. This is definitely the BIGGEST misstep they've come up with yet.

Some people have had the Pre for FIVE MONTHS... and Palm has still not offered a REAL backup solution.

\/\/ T F ?!?!?

This is a FAR GREATER problem for them than the App Catalog limit [and even far easier for them to solve, too!]!!

If backups are not at 100%, then we're definitely talking about the same Palm, Inc. NOT HAVING THE CAPABILITIES TO FLAWLESSLY RESTORE A BACKUP IS A SECURITY RISK.

It should be 100%, and I can't understand why they don't get this. Hopefully, if some employer of Palm realizes this... you tell the Apple guys up top that they forgot about one more thing -- FLAWLESS PALM BACKUP!

Get Homebrew Apps, Tweaks, & Patches Working In Less Than 5 Minutes

Cross-Platform Meta-Doctor Guide -- Bypass carrier-specific activation & MORE!
grndslm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 08:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

I work in a sprint store and was stoked!

But then I tried to transfer my contracts and rememberd that you have to have contacts transferred into a pre from a cellbrite machine to be able to transfer them into/out of a cellbrite machine again.

By this I mean if your contacts came from a palm profile (ie you had a phone swap done) you can't get your contacts out of your pre again
MaxLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2009, 09:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

ok, here is what's up from the tech.

you can transfer from a pre to anything with a celibrite. UNDER THESE CIRCUMSTANCES

you transferred contacts to your pre with celibrite.

WHY THIS DOESN'T WORK

it only transfers the original celibrite file over. no new contacts or changes.

palm went out of their way to make our celibrites AND SN-RMS useless in getting someone out of webOS. there are threads that explain how to access your .db3 and convert to .scv and upload to outlook or gmail or yahoo. right now it's not something I would call approved for mere mortals. It took me 2 days to figure it out and this is my job.
merchantofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2009, 05:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjio View Post
Ok first, this process sounds difficult but it should go fairly smoothly, provided you have a sprint store (that's not full of ***** employees) nearby. I work as a repair tech at a sprint store and have done this many times and KNOW it works.

First you need to take your Pre/Pixi into a Sprint store and explain to the employee what you need to do. Hopefully he/she won't be completely mesmerized by your request.

MAKE SURE YOU ALREADY HAVE YOUR GMAIL/YAHOO ACCOUNT SET UP AS YOUR DEFAULT CONTACTS ACCOUNT WHEN YOU GO IN.

At the store, they should have a device called a Cellebrite, that is used to transfer contacts from one phone to another. I assume every Sprint store out there has one.. I have been to a great many (both corporate and indirect) and EVERY ONE has had one of these.

All you need the employee to do is setup the Cellebrite to transfer from one Pre to another, and use your device on both the sending and receiving end of it.

After the device is unplugged from the Cellebrite, it will prompt you to upload your contacts to one of your contacts accounts. CHOOSE GOOGLE!!!! Leave your phone alone for a while so it can upload your information.

Now leave the store, go home, log onto your Gmail and look at all of your glorious contacts! You might have some duplicates if some contacts were already in your Google account before, but they are easy to get rid of from your computer.

You will probably also have duplicate contacts in your phone. To remedy this, you will need to delete everything from your palm profile, by going to the 'Backup' icon and turning it off. Confirm to delete the information when prompted. Now perform a partial reset, log back into your profile and DONE!!

I know this may sound like a pain, having to go into a Sprint store, and a partial reset, but trust me, it is endlessly easier than the 'other method' (having to root, export and convert PalmDatabase.db3 file)...

Let me know if this helps!!!
interesting but the "cellbrite" will export contacts only if they ward put there by "cellbrite" ex: if u transfer ur contacts from on older device.
wolfsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2009, 12:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

well, Sprint tech used cellebrite on my old phone and transferred contacts (names & pics) no numbers. i was given a phone with palm webOS 1.2.1 and after signing into contacts google (144 contacts), facebook (1546 contacts), palm profile (1 contact) and have double contacts. have upgraded to 1.3.1 and my facebook app does not work. SMH.
Old 11/23/2009, 12:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

can cellebrite export contacts as .csv from palm profile?
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2009, 06:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thank you, thank you, thank you Benjio. Your suggestion worked perfectly at the Sprint store. My girl friend is on her 4th Pre since we signed up two months ago. Not only are the phones junk, but her profile will not restore her contacts after a reset either. So now they are finally backed up somewhere she can restore them from.
Pre-c-o-crap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2009, 09:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
well, Sprint tech used cellebrite on my old phone and transferred contacts (names & pics) no numbers. i was given a phone with palm webOS 1.2.1 and after signing into contacts google (144 contacts), facebook (1546 contacts), palm profile (1 contact) and have double contacts. have upgraded to 1.3.1 and my facebook app does not work. SMH.
Wow. I'm in the exact same boat as you. Only 1 of the dupes is accessible. Strange but annoying. Because of this I've become a universal search master. Universal doesn't show the dupes either.
JohnnyPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2009, 09:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

oh and what went wrong don1 was you synced to a 1.2.1... And 1.3.1 data seems to screw 1.2.1 up..
JohnnyPre is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0