Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    OK,

What specificly is backed up? Photos? Memos? call logs? etc....

And what is lost when you do a partial erase?

My phone still has not seen the new update and I think I want to try a partial erase to see if that will fix the isssue (although after seeing all the issues with the new update, maybe I should stick with what I got).
    What specificly is backed up? Photos? Memos? call logs? etc....
    The answer is NO, NO and No!

The backup only restores contacts if they are in the default palm profile, apps downloaded from the app catalog, browser bookmarks. It does not backup photos, call logs, memos etc. Furthermore it's pretty sh!tty at restoring contacts as well! If you want a truely reliable backup solution for contacts use google. For memo and task sync solution you have to rely on companionlink. There are also some homebrew solutions developing as well. Overall Palm profile back is pretty crappy...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    So even on partial erase I'm gonna lose all this?

Said it before and I'll say it again, this phone is starting to really suck ***
    The only difference between a partial erase and a full erase is that the partial erase does not erase the "USB Drive" partition.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    The only difference between a partial erase and a full erase is that the partial erase does not erase the "USB Drive" partition.
    Good point Carl. The partial erase will not erase any data/pics you have on the internal usb drive. I forgot to mention that...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Backup is a little complicated as you have to consider all the different pieces and there's nothing that does a "full" backup (although there is a new app in the works which says it will ... see the front page of PreCentral).

The User Guide says "Your phone backs up the contacts, calendar events, and tasks that are in your Palm profile account, as well as system settings and applications you downloaded to your phone.". There's also a more detailed chart on the Palm Support site (search for "backup").

To me Contacts/Calendar are really the most important, and as others have mentioned, I wouldn't trust them to the Palm Profile, and highly recommend Google unless you have another preference.

You mention "photos", and those are typically stored in the media partition with your music, videos, and documents. Those can be easily backed up by mounting as a USB drive and making a copy on your PC/MAC.
    Davis.Rob,

Thanks for confirming that still, after 4-5 months, there is still no app that can create a complete, full, and total backup/image for the Pre including data, installed apps, and settings/switches. Seems to me there's a huge opportunity out there and a lot of money to be made to the first person who can come up with a truly complete backup program. Even CompanionLink at around $40 doesn't do EVERYTHING.
    So, I just accidentally deleted my memo w/ all of my passwords (yes, I wasn't smart at not backing those up) but I was one of those people who thought EVERYTHING was backed up on my Pre, also. Does this mean I lost all of my passwords, then (or is anyone smarter than Sprint's tech support & knows how to recover my deletion)?
    Does anyone know if Palm Profile backs up data from installed Apps within Classic?