Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Tried using AIM on the pre for the first time, actually works pretty well but then discovered it added my entire buddy list to my contacts. Utterless useless and confusing. Most people in my buddy list are in my contacts, but I don't need both, and I have no reason to just have my buddy list in my contacts. Removed account and had to go through 1 by flipping 1 to remove them from contacts.

    Anyway to use AIM without it syncing or importing?
    I miss my 1998 Startac.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
    Anyway to use AIM without it syncing or importing?
    Can't you link the AIM screen names with the entry that is already in your contact list?

    Typically if you have the same person pulled from two sources (such as Google and Yahoo) you can open one of the entries, than tap the name, and an option to "link profiles" drops down. When you pick the matching entry from your contact list, Synergy "merges" the two into one.

    The way you'll know they're merged in the future is that the little avatar/contact picture icon changes to show that two are stacked together.

    MRH
  3. #3  
    You can link them, but it takes forever! On top of that, Palm's sync is too stupid to back that info up, so if you ever doctor or switch to a new pre, all that linking is gone. Why isn't there just an option to hide AIM and facebook contacts in the contacts app?
  4. #4  
    I love the fact that my phone is dumb and WONT sync my facebook apps! To many people to deal with!
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

    Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

    If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
  5.    #5  
    I learned from others not to link facebook or anything else, I really don't care about all that extra info. Some people argue if you just use universal search instead of browsing its ok and I disagree.

    To go in with each person and do it would take forever. I'v been using IM since AOL 2.5 in 1993, didn't even get a cell phone until 97. I know peoples screen names better then numbers.
    I miss my 1998 Startac.
  6. #6  
    My solution to this problem was... don't open the contacts app, except to link profiles.

    That solves the problem of you seeing this things, but if you create a name and other info for them they become really useful. So all I do is type 'Evan' and he pops up and I see if he's online or not and I can send n IM, don't even have to go through the messaging app and away from my conversations to get to it.

    Facebook contact sync is the nicest because I have had to get in contact with a few people who I've never actually gotten emails and phone numbers from but they were all there on my contacts pulled from Facebook.
  7. JTH182's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    #7  
    So is this ever going to happen? Like others, I have been on AIM using the same SN for 10+ years and don't clean up my buddy list. I wish there was just an AIM app or the ability just to add the people you want.

    It's bad enough I have facebook contacts that I don't really want on my phone (people from HS who add me, even though I rarely talked to them back them, let alone now). Although that's far less people than my AIM list.
  8. #8  
    You don't have to sync aim with contacts...i didn't because i rather keep them separate, and i prefer to see screen names rather than "john Doe
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
    I know peoples screen names better then numbers.

    I don't have the desktop AIM client installed right now so I can't verify this but: I kind of remember having the ability to "rename" a buddy in the AIM client. It might have been called "give alias" or something along those lines.

    The point being if you used your AIM client to assign the persons real name to their screen name, maybe the Pre would automatically link the profiles for you instead of you doing it by hand. Of course you'd have to do the renaming on the desktop by hand though.

    Just a thought

    MRH
  10. JTH182's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    You don't have to sync aim with contacts...i didn't because i rather keep them separate, and i prefer to see screen names rather than "john Doe
    When I added AIM thru messaging it automatically imported my whole buddylist into my contacts. I just want a way to add my AIM account to my phone without my buddylist being added to my contacts.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
    When I added AIM thru messaging it automatically imported my whole buddylist into my contacts. I just want a way to add my AIM account to my phone without my buddylist being added to my contacts.
    Hear hear!

    It would have been nice if the client at least asked me if I actually wanted my buddy list imported before it actually brought them in.
  12. #12  
    I just link them all together as the Pre and Synergy were designed to do. It doesn't take a long time and you only have to really do it once.

    I like it working this was as it links their real name and picture if you have that. Instead of getting an IM from h437f89734 it says Bob and shows his picture. :>
  13.    #13  
    But I don't want them linked together, palm is not run by obama. I should have the choice of what I want and what I don't. Syncing is nice in some areas, in areas it just creates more work and more of a headache, the opposite of a smartphones core purpose.
    I miss my 1998 Startac.
  14. #14  
    I hope that Palm makes progress on this soon cause I have refrained from adding my accounts so they don't sync. When I first got the phone I logged in to the Facebook app, before I knew it I had 300 new contacts...not awesome.

    I ended up resetting my phone to ditch the contacts before they synced to my Google account.
  15. #15  
    People do realize that the big selling point of the Pre was Synergy, right? A lot of pre-release coverage focused on the fact that you could jump between SMS and AIM because contacts are linked. Contact management is set up to be very convenient when contact info is linked. Why purchase a Pre if the core funtionality is going to inconvenience you?
  16. #16  
    you can also right click the name on aim and go to buddyinfo and just type in their name. If they have the same name as your contacts they get linked.
  17. #17  
    you can try the web based one. Go to your sprint bookmark, click on portals, then ,essaging. I didn't try aim but yahoo works ok. I think they've changed it some.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by downtown3641 View Post
    People do realize that the big selling point of the Pre was Synergy, right? A lot of pre-release coverage focused on the fact that you could jump between SMS and AIM because contacts are linked. Contact management is set up to be very convenient when contact info is linked. Why purchase a Pre if the core funtionality is going to inconvenience you?
    Because if I synced ALL my accounts I'd have 500+ contacts, I do not want that.

    I wouldn't mind linking people existing in my phonebook with AIM, etc.

Posting Permissions